Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aicoset 200mm F4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Aicoset 200mm F4.5 Reply with quote

Well, this lens was in a bundle of stuff and I had no enthusiasm to try it but I did. Ok, it's not the greatest performer but it's a long way from the worst. It's small & light, preset with a round iris at any aperture. The downside is the minimum focus distance which is a whopping 12 feet. Not really a problem as m42 extension tubes are cheap; just a bit inconvenient.

A few (exciting!) samples followed by crops:

On ext tubes

crop

Full image

crop at F4.5

crop at F8

some pics of the lens on the 5Dii

If I used 200mm lenses a lot I may be tempted to keep it as it is quite interesting and very light with pleasing bokeh. However as I am shedding some of my 200mms I expect this may be one.

I used a small lens hood for the car shots, but even so I had to give quite a boost to the contrast. Anyone picking up one of these should get a deep hood (55mm thread). The lighting was also very flat.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments? Perhaps if I said it was a Zeiss, Leica or even a Helios there would have been some interest. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, MArtin. You do not need to have a great brand lens to have a commentary form us. You know it very well.

I was very good impressioned. The lens has good and pastel colors, nice to my eyes.

The reolution power is good too. As you said, perhaps not the wander nor poor one. It's enough to use it each time that the 200 mm come necesary.

Did you use it to take portraits, somebody likes that focal lenght to take portraits? Faces, hands, are good subjects.

Prone to flare? It seems so to me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it has a great many blades! Would be good for situations that you'd like/need to stop down a bit and want round highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last! Laughing I thought it would get a bit of interest being rare.

Rino - With the focus distance issue I would have to use an extension ring for portraits. It does look like it could be ok for portraits though. It's not so much prone to flare as low contrast. It needs a deeper hood.

Marc - Yes, the round iris at any aperture could make for interesting bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting !
With tubes on a 4.5 lens, well, light has to be good !
You did fine samples with it, Martin and IQ is very good for that range of lenses.
How many blades ?
Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
No comments? Perhaps if I said it was a Zeiss, Leica or even a Helios there would have been some interest. Crying or Very sad

Laughing YES. I found this fact too. Many thanks for sharing, I think this post is more valuable than well known lenses. This is a pretty good lens actually I agree.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say something? Wink

Looks a bit like the famous skinny Tokina 200/4.5, which is a very useful vintage lens. Nice bokeh Cool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, maybe the range of image samples was not large enough to solicit many comments. You should try to present the lens in a variety of situations so to show how it does handle them. It is difficult to give an opinion on a 200mm lens based on a macro shot with tubes and on a single outdoors shot that was also post-processed. For instance, I would not really know what to say about this lens based only on these two images.

Please accept the above as a suggestion, not as a criticism. I give this advice because you seem to be affected by the fact that you got little or no feedback. I personally do not expect people to comment on my test images, I post samples to be useful for others and to be useful is what pleases me, I am fine also if nobody replies, but I understand that there can be other people who feels differently.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the chance, I wouldn't mind seeing a shot or two at infinity.
One thing that really jumps out at me is, it has reverse blades. I wonder who made it.
Nice colors. So far what I see I like. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your lens. It seems much better than some of my old Vivitars. I'd hang on to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
How many blades ?

15! Cool

I need to get a lens hood and front cap for it before I can really test it more. Watch this space......................

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty interesting to me!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is interesting is the name : AICOset

AICO is the name of the owner of Soligor & Miranda (Allied Impex Co)

Is it a attempt for a new tm from aico ??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
What is interesting is the name : AICOset

AICO is the name of the owner of Soligor & Miranda (Allied Impex Co)

Is it a attempt for a new tm from aico ??

Thanks for the info!