Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A stroll with Vivitar S1 200mm F3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: A stroll with Vivitar S1 200mm F3 Reply with quote

I recently came across this lens and loved its rendering and bokeh as I saw it in a topic on this site. Took mine for a stroll with the dogs (they're no subjects) and de Nikon d7k and tried a few shots. Seems to me I need to get to know this lens better, but so far I like it...

Blue cichory flowers @ 1,5 m

Hay rolls on a parking space

Downstram towards Trasimeno Lake (there is even e heron in the bushes, visible @ 100%)

Waiting tractor

Looking forward to your comments about lens, photo's and anything else

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens in past I remember for better contrast, check your lens out about haze.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sharpness of this lens, at least it is sharp enough to me. Maybe a bit lacking in character, but I would like to see some wide open, closeer focus shots to see how well it renders bokeh like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sample wide open

http://www.ivanlee.com.br/photos/P1040066.jpg

Good sharpness wide open... but too much CA and low contrast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess CA is killing it. But I also find a it a bit soft wide open. Contrast is the less worrying since it is easily boosted in post processing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had this lens in past I remember for better contrast, check your lens out about haze.

I've had this lens since about 1980 Shot a lot of hockey and some concerts with it when I worked for a newspaper early in my career. The contrast should be a bit higher than the sample photos above. This shot was wide open, hand-held at a rather rowdy concert.

A fine lens- mine is still excellent.

John

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for comments. Didn't want to boost the contrast too much, and haze is no miracle on a bright autumn morning with sun @45 degrees. However, I like this not-too-bright-and-vivid aspect older lenses often bring. I tried some wide open shots too, shortly I'll go for some close-ups. @Attilla - nice shot, so it is a sharp lens. Mine is from Komine, a year ending on a 9 - 1979 or 1989? And btw, how do I check for haze? Any suggestion on that? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobcominitaly wrote:
And btw, how do I check for haze? Any suggestion on that? Thanks in advance.

Light throw with led light torch and if any of glass elements looks milky , not fully transparent that is haze.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you viewed a thread here about this lens, it likely had submissions from me. The S1 200mm is my favorite 200mm and certainly the sharpest. It's a challenging lens and takes a good deal of practice to get used to the focus. The blue fringing occurs throughout all stops, to lessening degrees, down to about f/11, but is very easy to correct in PS. I don't recall seeing red CA. Wide open is to be used in low light situations and where the light is even. Bokeh is outstanding. I will receive my 180mm Sonnar this week and have my first chance to compare the S1 sharpness to Sonnar. We'll see, nothing else I've had is as sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Attilla - couldn't find any milkyness on lighting through the lens - have done some experimenting and I get more brilliant results when I adapt (Nikons) picture style by increasing contrast and saturation - which of course van also be done in pp.
@woodrim: I probably consulted your posts when deciding whether or not to buy this lens. I have a Nikon-fit version, and D7k makes focusing a lot easier - small green dot is a big help, especially if stop-down metering is not necessary.