Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

85mm monkey portrait test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: 85mm monkey portrait test Reply with quote

I've been promising to do a basic 85mm portrait lens test for a while now, and was hoping to get outside today to do so. But I had a heavy night last night and have been feeling a bit rough Laughing So I performed a test inside Wink

Lenses are as follows:

1. Samyang 85/1.8 Aspherical IF (Canon EF mount - this is my latest lens - yay!)

2. Vivitar 85/1.8 preset (M42 T-Mount)

3. Jupiter 9 85/2 alu version (M39 mount)

4. Olympus OM 85/2 (OM mount)

5. Steinheil Culminar 85/2.8 (M42 mount)

Here they are:

Now before I start, I will give you some background. The monkey was positioned on top of a Henry the Hoover with wine bottles behind to give some bokeh. The camera was my Canon EOS 40D on an old Velbon tripod. All shots were taken using liveview, and there was bright sunlight coming from both windows behind the monkey. All lenses had a hood fitted.

I somehow managed to cock up the focusing with the Samyang - I shot from f4 to f2.8 (which was fine) but must have knocked the tripod and as a result the f2 and f1.4 shots are front focused. I only noticed afterwards, so later on took a few more and have displayed the correctly focused crops.

Anyway...

Samyang @ f1.4

Samyang @ f1.4 - crop (from 2nd photo shoot)

Vivitar @ f1.8

Vivitar @ f1.8 - crop

Jupiter @ f2

Jupiter @ f2 - crop

Olympus @ f2

Olympus @ f2 - crop

Samyang @ f2

Samyang @ f2 - crop (from second shoot)

Samyang @ f2.8

Samyang @ f2.8 - crop

Vivitar @ f2.8

Vivitar @ f2.8 - crop

Jupiter @ f2.8

Jupiter @ f2.8 - crop

Olympus @ f2.8

Olympus @ f2.8 - crop

Steinheil @ f2.8

Steinheil @ f2.8 - crop

Samyang @ f4

Samyang @ f4 - crop

Vivitar @ f4

Vivitar @ f4 - crop

Jupiter @ f4

Jupiter @ f4 - crop

Olympus @ f4

Steinheil @ f4

Steinheil @ f4 - crop

Summary

The Samyang is an incredible lens - I paid £180.00 for it new, including shipping. An absolute steal in my opinion! The Olympus OM 85/2 is also a cracker. Best value for me is the Jupiter 9 85/2, which I feel also put in a string performance. The Steinheil really struggled against the bright light and Vivitar performed adequetly.

Not the worlds most scientific test, and an outdoors test would give a better idea about bokeh, but it's certainly interesting to test them all out either way Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus by a long way for my money

patrickh

Nice samples/test - thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test. if you could post some pix of Helios 40 and CZ it would be just perfect Smile

Why does Olympus have CA even at f4? Jupiter does too, but it costs much less.
Samyang is the best here in sharpness and CA level. Bokeh is also very smooth, better than the others.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test, thanks for sharing!

As for the Olympus and CA: I have the SMC Pentax-M 85mm f/2 which is optically similar, and it shows CA as easily as the Olympus. They have the same optical scheme, so...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that the Steinheil has a Coating problem? Or a glass with oil?
Greetings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang rocks!
f4 is stunning!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samyang is definitely the best of that lot by a large margin. Some of this no doubt is the result of better coatings.

Very impressive, very interesting test.

A shootout between the Samyang and some of the other legendary MF portrait lenses would complete the comparison, the Biotar 75, the Helios 40, Takumar 85's, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang rocks!
f4 is stunning!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang rocks!
f4 is stunning!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang rocks!
f4 is stunning!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang's crops with a lot of CA. Very strong to me Purple at the front and green at the background - look at the 1,4 crop-. It's a pity. The samyang pícs have a very good resolution, but the very strong CA kills the colour response of the lens.

For portrait my lens of the tested, is the J9.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after looking at your images - all of them look nice, specially the Samyang, but the crops of the different lenses tell a different story- the Jupiter image crops look a little better, less aberration.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang look nice Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Samyang's crops with a lot of CA. Very strong to me Purple at the front and green at the background - look at the 1,4 crop-. It's a pity. The samyang pícs have a very good resolution, but the very strong CA kills the colour response of the lens.

It's a logical consequence of the higher contrast. If there was as much veiling flare (and unsharpness) as the other lenses, the longitudinal CA would not show so strongly. You can easily see that throughout the whole series, the Samyang by far has the best contrast.

"CA kills the colour response" are very strong words. I have seen plenty of samples where the CA of the Samyang is not problematic and the images have a lot of pop because of the great contrast. Your J9 will not achieve this look. If you prefer soft looking portraits with glow and low contrast, then I'm sure the Jupiter will be a better choice.

At f/2.8 and f/4, the Samyang is not focused at the eyes, but in front of them. If it wasn't refocused with the change of aperture, then there is focus shift here.

The Oly definitely looks sharpest to me, but contrast is inferior to the Samyang (and also the bokeh at f/2).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J-9 MC has much better performance than what is seen here.
Though it doesn't come in as wide as the Samyang, I'm thinking it may do better in terms of CA and sharpness at f2 and beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
estudleon wrote:

It's a logical consequence of the higher contrast. If there was as much veiling flare (and unsharpness) as the other lenses, the longitudinal CA would not show so strongly. You can easily see that throughout the whole series, the Samyang by far has the best contrast.

"CA kills the colour response" are very strong words. I have seen plenty of samples where the CA of the Samyang is not problematic and the images have a lot of pop because of the great contrast. Your J9 will not achieve this look. If you prefer soft looking portraits with glow and low contrast, then I'm sure the Jupiter will be a better choice.

At f/2.8 and f/4, the Samyang is not focused at the eyes, but in front of them. If it wasn't refocused with the change of aperture, then there is focus shift here.

The Oly definitely looks sharpest to me, but contrast is inferior to the Samyang (and also the bokeh at f/2).

Hi.

I said that i did about the samyang at F/1,4 because i look for this aperture if the lens has it. If I buy a lens with F/1,4 aperture, why will I have to use it at F/2,8 or 4 to take a good pic. And so F/1,4 what for?
I know the samyang and I found in others examples the same problem, the CA.

In portrait lenses I don't think that a strong constrast should be a good thing, I like the medium, normal contrast. This let me work with PP in a better way. The contrastier lenses are more limited to the PP to me. The goal in PP works is a lens with high resolution power and neutral constrast.

At least, I see in that way. Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

In portrait lenses I don't think that a strong constrast should be a good thing, I like the medium, normal contrast. This let me work with PP in a better way. The contrastier lenses are more limited to the PP to me. The goal in PP works is a lens with high resolution power and neutral constrast.

At least, I see in that way. Regards, Rino.

It all depends on YOU. What YOU want. Either digital or film. PP or no PP.
If I want less contrast, Ill use Superia400 (or Profoto, if I want less speed). Alot of contrast would be Kodak400BW. If I want to do bigger prints, usually use Reala. When I go out, I know what I want to do.

Overall, if PP is important, contrast is actually bad, but mightier RAWs handle it fine anyhow....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
If I buy a lens with F/1,4 aperture, why will I have to use it at F/2,8 or 4 to take a good pic. And so F/1,4 what for?

The goal in PP works is a lens with high resolution power and neutral constrast.

As far as I'm concerned f/1.4 is perfectly usable in most cases with the Samyang. I don't think this test setup is representative of most portrait situations.

The Canon 85L has even slighty higher contrast than the Samyang, and it also has CA problems (blue fringing worse than Samyang). I don't have to tell you how popular the 85L is as a portrait lens. I don't think most photographers will be struggling with the contrast of the 85L, and portrait photgraphers (esp. fashion) often do a lot of PP anyway to make skin/hair look better, etc.

Although I kind of know what you mean, technically speaking there is no such thing as neutral contrast. There is only a varying degree of veiling glare. Veiling glare lifts the shadows with "false" light from internal reflections, so it reduces the dynamic range with non-image information. I guess that there are still some (seemingly) practical benefits in that.

Personally I prefer to use a lens that requires as little PP as possible. The more you have to squeeze contrast/saturation out of your files, the more chance that it will get a 'digital', manipulated look. Usually I do use the Neutral camera profile on my 5D though because "Standard" pumps up the contrast/saturation too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good test, thanks for posting.

I'm surprised how much CA there is with the Samyang.

JJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Olympus by a long way for my money
Nice samples/test - thanks

+1