Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

85mm/1.4 challenge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the planar, now i want the samyang Very Happy

My Planar also scratched, but as far, I don't think it affects the image quality, may be in theory...
I would keep the lens as is...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
woodrim wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Like woodrim, I prefer the Planar's slightly busier rendering and that's the lens I will be keeping. I also find it easier to focus than the Samyang.
The damage does seem to cause a lower contrast in the photos but that's not difficult to fix in Lightroom. The Planar has a nicer focus movement too, plus it just feels better overall.

To be clear, while I do like the Planar bokeh, and many other forms of imperfect bokeh, given the choice I would prefer the technically better bokeh of the Samyang. I still maintain my position of selecting the Samyang, and even more so now. I do understand that the feel of a lens is important too, but given the cost difference and performance similarities I would definitely be happy with the Samyang. Just have to wait for prices to drop more. In the meantime, my lust for an A7r is dominating all my future buying plans.

Financially I see your point if both lenses were new, as both of mine were the same price I was able to choose which works best for me. The Samyang is a great lens at a great price, but there's something about the Planar which grabs me. It's just a feeling but I think it's an important part of photography, the Samyang doesn't make me feel the same. Similar to when I sold my Planar 50/1.7 and kept the Nikon 50/1.2, I'm not saying one is better than the other but the Nikon feels better. The difference in the results from these lenses is minimal but, to me, it feels like I'm getting better images. Smile
Does that make sense?

Absolutely. I do the same. My Hexanon 85/1.8 is very sharp, but does not make me as happy as my Bokina and Jupiter-9. It doesn't feel as good. And how thing look through the viewfinder counts too. I like the lenses where the image clearly pops into focus.