Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D stereo experiments with adapted MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An exotic pale variety of a Greek Lizard Orchid (2012). A hypochromic (under-coloured) Himantoglossum jankae (syn H. caprinum)

Olympus EP-2 with 90mm Leitz Elmarit, probably at f16. Early morning light.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid most people won't be able to see this one (because of the excessive distance)... I still have to give it a try, because it was a lot of fun:

... and here's an easier one:

Both were shot with a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 50 mm f/2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
I'm afraid most people won't be able to see this one (because of the excessive distance)... I still have to give it a try, because it was a lot of fun:

Now that's just crazy, cutting right into your eye Very Happy. Wow. I'll have to try some of those too that come right at you. How much do you think the frame adds to the effect?

Here are some from my recent visit to Mt. Guffert:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

backsidewalkaround wrote:

A superb set.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog @backsidewalkaround, please tell us about the cave!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue gentian ones are Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

A superb set.

kds315* wrote:
The blue gentian ones are Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

Thank you very much Smile.

visualopsins wrote:
...please tell us about the cave!

What cave are you talking about? There is no cave to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

That's what I was mystified about.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

visualopsins wrote:

#4 -- I'm seeing things?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

visualopsins wrote:

#4 -- I'm seeing things?

Next to the several pieces of metal there seems to be a cavity which might be accessible to an arm. Is that it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are excellent shots - well done! This one with the flowers is my absolute favorite, but they all provide some great views of this mountain. Only know this region from my train rides to Munich and of course the infamous bus rides during "Schienenersatzverkehr". Is the "Guffert" visible from the train?

Glad you like the shot with the scissors. I don't think the border adds much in terms of "depth" but of course is changes the perception. Overall it's mostly about the distance and angles though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two are shot with the Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 50 mm f/2:

This one was captured with a Zeiss Ikon Alinar 5 cm f/1.4:

... and finally this one with a Zeiss Graphikon 8cm (?) f/2.3:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

visualopsins wrote:

#4 -- I'm seeing things?

I think you are (seeing things). I didn't notice any caves along the way (not here anyway, further down yes!). I think it's simply the dark shadows in contrast to the harsh midday light that leads you to "see things".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These mites are sometimes found on rotting wood. They are something like 3-4mm long. They always carry detritus, this one being less than most.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5x-5x ultra-macro, probably at x2.5 and f11, twin TTL flash, hand-held.

This has been cropped by about 50%.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

visualopsins wrote:

#4 -- I'm seeing things?

I think you are (seeing things). I didn't notice any caves along the way (not here anyway, further down yes!). I think it's simply the dark shadows in contrast to the harsh midday light that leads you to "see things".

That's it! Thanks! Also I think I was confusing the scale, as e6filmuser pointed out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cauliflower Slime Mould Enteridium lycoperdon

These images are from 2014, processed with my current software. The camera was the Olympus EP-2 and the lens probably a Kiron 105mm. Shutter speeds 1/125 and 1/100 sec.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common lichen, Xanthoria parietina

A7r, Tominon 135mm f4.5 mm at x2

This large format copying lens is optimised for 1:1 to 3:1, so 2:1.

This required a total extension, including an adapter, of 345mm from the camera flange. This comprised: the adapter, three (M42) helicoids, each fully extended to 90mm plus 122mm of tubes. The working distance was 180mm and the FOV ca 17mm wide. Not my most practical setup!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5x-5x ultra-macro, probably at x2.5 and f11, twin TTL flash, hand-held.

The mite seems to have moved a bit, but it's a great shot nonetheless - love the clarity!

e6filmuser wrote:

This required a total extension, including an adapter, of 345mm from the camera flange. This comprised: the adapter, three (M42) helicoids, each fully extended to 90mm plus 122mm of tubes. The working distance was 180mm and the FOV ca 17mm wide. Not my most practical setup!

That's an interesting setup indeed... are you sure you're not mixing something up there in terms of magnification though? From my research the 135 mm Tominon lens is optimized for magnifications of 1:10 up to 1.2:1. (Here's the source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/joaquimfp/6576304631/) The 75 mm lens does have the optimization you've described. That being said, I'd be very cautious to trust those guidelines anyway... according to Robert OToole's tests with the shorter focal length lenses and my own (with almost all of them) most of them are not that accurate. They may be "usable" within those margins, but they certainly seem to be optimized for something different, at least most of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

The mite seems to have moved a bit, but it's a great shot nonetheless - love the clarity!

No the mite has not moved, just the camera angle. Look at the white spots on the substrate.

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

That's an interesting setup indeed... are you sure you're not mixing something up there in terms of magnification though? From my research the 135 mm Tominon lens is optimized for magnifications of 1:10 up to 1.2:1. (Here's the source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/joaquimfp/6576304631/) The 75 mm lens does have the optimization you've described. That being said, I'd be very cautious to trust those guidelines anyway... according to Robert OToole's tests with the shorter focal length lenses and my own (with almost all of them) most of them are not that accurate. They may be "usable" within those margins, but they certainly seem to be optimized for something different, at least most of them.

No lens can be "optimised" from 1:10 to 1.2:1.

I don't know what my source was, possibly the seller, but the lens:

" It was made for Polaroid MP4 which is a 4"x5" reprocamera vertically mounted on a column, it can be used as an enlarger and it is very popular among scientific and museal photographers.

Optimised for x1 to x3. Weighs 94g with thread adapter".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

" It was made for Polaroid MP4 which is a 4"x5" reprocamera vertically mounted on a column, it can be used as an enlarger and it is very popular among scientific and museal photographers.

I guess you're right... my bad! It states that magnification range in one of the charts on the flickr page I've posted as well. (The 1:10 to 1.2:1 seems to be the possible magnification with bellows alone...)

I still highly doubt those lenses work very well at the magnifications stated. It might have been OK on the original Polaroid camera, but they don't seem to be holding up well when used at the higher magnifications on modern digital sensors. It's of course also possible that I don't have pristine copies of that lens family, but as I've mentioned Robert found the same thing to be true for several samples of the 35 mm and 17 mm lenses in extensive tests, while they're excellent at lower magnifications than advertised...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

I guess you're right... my bad! It states that magnification range in one of the charts on the flickr page I've posted as well. (The 1:10 to 1.2:1 seems to be the possible magnification with bellows alone...)

I still highly doubt those lenses work very well at the magnifications stated. It might have been OK on the original Polaroid camera, but they don't seem to be holding up well when used at the higher magnifications on modern digital sensors. It's of course also possible that I don't have pristine copies of that lens family, but as I've mentioned Robert found the same thing to be true for several samples of the 35 mm and 17 mm lenses in extensive tests, while they're excellent at lower magnifications than advertised...

As for higher magnifications, their extensions would be even more horrific!

The Olympus OM 50mm macro, lauded for its performance at 1:1, was optimised for 1:10 and if I remember correctly, Olympus said so.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "not for everyone's taste lens", the Okaya Optic Highkor 40 mm f/1.8:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
Another "not for everyone's taste lens", the Okaya Optic Highkor 40 mm f/1.8:

Interesting weather protection, one I haven't seen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crosseye technique is also an exellent way to immediately discriminate between spot-the-difference pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
The crosseye technique is also an exellent way to immediately discriminate between spot-the-difference pictures.

Brilliant! I hadn't thought of using 3-d viewing for that purpose! Useful in lens tests?