Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D stereo experiments with adapted MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backsidewalkaround wrote:

I have a few more from yesterday and today, lenses used were the Nikon AI-2/24 and the Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/28 v1:

#5 Nikkor

#8 Nikkor

Wonderful - fantastic choice of subjects and expertly captured! Works really well.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some (kinda) different shots from me here, I guess:

Don't know if they work for anybody else... All of them were shot with a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 75 mm f/2.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Don't know if they work for anybody else... All of them were shot with a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 75 mm f/2.

Works really well, good execution!

I think these are called hyper stereo. From Wikipedia: Longer base line for distant objects – "Hyper Stereo"

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

I really like the first one. I love the shadow patterns and also that the distant background is out of focus, a wonderful stereo shot. You should stray more often from your close up photography, which is essentially perfect already.

The others feel a bit unnatural to me, like the layers of a Diarama and I can hardly see any 3D in the distant mountains. I think if you choose the stereobase very wide it's good to try and capture objects at a similar distance. It gets confusing, if they're spread out too much (varying too much in distance), but that's just speculation (I hope that's ok, I'd rather learn by doing and by examples than to get lost in technicalities).

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

I find the mountain ones unreal, with not depth in the mountains. Pleasing in their own way, but not for me.

Last edited by e6filmuser on Sun May 12, 2024 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going looking for pseudoscorpions leeds to failure. This one appeared in 2019 when I was photographing some slime moulds at 1:1 with my Olympus EM-1. I fitted my Photar 25mm, at f11 or f16, on the extension for FOV ca 3.5mm wide but that proved too difficult for framing. I shortened the extension to give a FOV 5mm wide. Even with this, locating the subject again after e.g. repositioning the flash, was very difficult, even when the pseudoscorpion obligingly settled in one place for most of the session.

The images have been cropped moderately.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

Works really well, good execution!

I think these are called hyper stereo. From Wikipedia: Longer base line for distant objects – "Hyper Stereo"

Thanks a lot! Didn't know that.

I really like the first one. I love the shadow patterns and also that the distant background is out of focus, a wonderful stereo shot. You should stray more often from your close up photography, which is essentially perfect already.

The others feel a bit unnatural to me, like the layers of a Diarama and I can hardly see any 3D in the distant mountains. I think if you choose the stereobase very wide it's good to try and capture objects at a similar distance. It gets confusing, if they're spread out too much (varying too much in distance), but that's just speculation (I hope that's ok, I'd rather learn by doing and by examples than to get lost in technicalities).

Thank you! Indeed - the lack of depth in the mountains was suprising to me as well, but I think there could be multiple reasons for that. One being the great distance and the 90 degree angle, another one the lighting... I think the foreground was in direct sunlight, while the mountains had clouds above them, making lighting extremely flat and shadows almost absent there. It was also shot from a moving train, so the distance between the two shots is pretty big.

e6filmuser wrote:

I find the mountain ones unreal, with not depth in the mountains. Pleasing i
n their own way, but not for me.

I agree that it feels more like a diorama than real life, but I don't necessarily dislike it. I feel like there might be more suitable scenes for it though...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

This one looks very nice - well captured!

These were shot with a Kyoei E-Acall 105 mm f/4.5:

and this one with a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 75 mm f/2 (projection lens):

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Lovely bubbles!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slime mould Arcyria Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5x-5x ultra-macro at x2.5 (FOV 7mm wide) on A7R FF at f11 with twin TTL RC flash, December 2018

The frames in the crosseye stereo have not been cropped, except by the software during alignment.

Here are another 3 more from my Olympus EM-1 and the Schneider HM 40mm at f16, triple flash.

The silvery object on the left is not an artifact.

All of the above, and my images in general, hand held

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ischneura elegans Common Bluetail C Type Female

Immature EM-1, Kiron 105mm, mixed light: flash and daylight.

From 2016, the stereo made today.

Click on image to get a smaller version.

[/i]

Last edited by e6filmuser on Mon May 06, 2024 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Slime mould Arcyria Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5x-5x ultra-macro at x2.5 (FOV 7mm wide) on A7R FF at f11 with twin TTL RC flash, December 2018

The frames in the crosseye stereo have not been cropped, except by the software during alignment.

All of the above, and my images in general, hand held

Slime mould, nice stuff (to look at in stereo). I particularly like the slime mold "guy" in the first picture Smile.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

These were shot with a Kyoei E-Acall 105 mm f/4.5:

Great depth. I love this winding downward path.

Quote:

Even better than the Trioplan 100! Oval bubbles! Very nice. I suppose a 2/75 lens is quite expensive, even if it is "only" a projection lens?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slime mould, nice stuff (to look at in stereo). I particularly like the slime mold "guy" in the first picture Smile.

The Americans call this one "carnival candy slime mold".

Some species look metallic or iridescent. Others have metallic-looking netting over them.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bracket fungus Ganoderma australe. This species is is a size range all of its own, measured in feet rather than inches.

This one was in a private wood in 2014 but I made the crosseye stereo yesterday. EM-1 Kiron 105mm.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7r3 Minolta Rokkor 35mm f11 TVR engine

A bit soft and I had to pull back the highlights a lot.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Even better than the Trioplan 100! Oval bubbles! Very nice. I suppose a 2/75 lens is quite expensive, even if it is "only" a projection lens?

Thanks! I found it quite interesting, even though I'm still having trouble using it effectively... Fortunately it wasn't expensive, as it's not a "known" lens. It's actually the only one like it that I've seen so far. I suspect it might be optically similar or idential to the Arriflex Xenon 75 mm f/2, however that one has an aperture and is usually quite pricey.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7r3, Nikkor 24mm at f11. Cadillac Coupe De Ville engine.

Framed to include the context to some extent.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7r3, Nikkor 24mm at f11.

Aston Martin DB6, the bit I can afford. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

Not my kind of car but a really well done shot! Love the POV. 👍

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

Thanks. Me neither but I once owned a Ford Zephyr, which was aa pretend one of sorts. I'd love an old Ford Thunderbird!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

Thanks. Me neither but I once owned a Ford Zephyr, which was aa pretend one of sorts. I'd love an old Ford Thunderbird!

Interesting change in taking position.

Took my road test in a '72 351-C T-Bird. Despite the massive size, one of the easiest cars to drive for me. Powerful, but no where near as fast as the slightly later big block X-L series.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of different shots with a variety of lenses:

This one was shot with a Fuji Fujinon-EFC 108 mm f/5.6 (minilab lens):

these two with a a Fuji Fujinon-EFC 65 mm f/5.6 (minilab lens):

The next four shots were created with a Kuribayashi Orikkor 4.5 cm f/2.8 lens:

... and finally these two were shot with a (Tomioka) Copal-E90C 115 mm f/4.5 (minilab lens)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
A number of different shots with a variety of lenses:

Excellent 3Ds and good colours. Did you use any vertical shift on the last one?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reicheoactus reichii flower at 1:1 , A7r3, Vivitar Series 1 105mm at f11. I removed some unwanted background distractions which were inconsistent in the two frames. The result is a bit messy but the flower is unaffected.