Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

24mm lenses on NEX-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: 24mm lenses on NEX-7 Reply with quote

Hello everybody, this is my first posting on this forum so wish me luck Smile

After browsing the web for quite a while for a workable solution I'm still searching for a 24mm MF lens for my NEX-7.
As most 24mm MF/NEX evaluations were based on NEX3/5/5n bodies or unnamed NEXes the search goes on.
So far I tried a f2.8 Ai Nikkor with no luck, wide open pretty unusable, real bad corners, blurry and some heavy magenta shift. I had to stop it down to at least f5.6 to get any acceptable results. These days I try to grab a f2.8 Zuiko and, following a report on dpreview, a Canon f2.8 SSC on ebay, let's see how that turns out, I'll be posting my results in this thread.

Any experiences with 24mm legacy glass on a NEX-7! anybody ? Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by glassbuster on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, glassbuster! Smile
Where are you from?. (Please fill in your personal details, gear, etc. to allow us to know more about you).

I got the Tamron 24mm f/2.5 and the NEX-7, so I'll be trying it.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Jesito,
thanks for your input, personal details will follow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a NEX-3 rather than a NEX-7 but I have used two 24mm lenses on my 3 and both perform wonderfully well. Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 (first version) which is sadly neither common nor cheap. Hoya (Tokina) 2.8/24 which is pretty cheap and excellent, has very good coatings and bright colours, very sharp too and I didn't notice any CA issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot Konica 24 with my Nex 3 and the result is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome !
I am using two lenses on NEX3 in 24mm : Minolta Rokkor MC 24mm/2.8 : http://forum.mflenses.com/rokkor-mc-24mm-f-2-8-on-nex3-t39375,highlight,%2Brokkor+%2B24mm+%2Bmc.html
And Konica Hexanon 24mm/2.8 : http://forum.mflenses.com/cinque-terre-t42631,highlight,%2Bcinque+%2Bterre.html
The Rokkor has a beautiful (like the Hexanon after all) feel ,but it's heavier ,sometimes I prefere the Hexanon ,being more comfortable (lighter) . But I adore the results of both .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input so far.
The reason why I'm asking is that lenses appear to behave differently on the NEX-7 than on any other NEX,, especially when it comes to wide angle glasses around 35mm and below. I've been following a number of discussions on other forums, and have had similar experiences on my NEX-7 vs. my 2 NEX-5 bodies, so far only with a restricted number of lenses though.
35mm (FF) is my preferred walkaround focal length, and in that focal range I prefer manual focusing to any AF solution I worked with so far, so the search goes on.

PS: I've seen pics made with the Konica Hexanon 24/2.8 and they really made me want one of those but they're hard to come by these days, or asking premium €€€
BTW I really love my 40mm/f2.8 Hexanon, outstanding color rendition and 3d pop on both NEXes.

Any experiences with manual 24mm lens(es) on a NEX-7! anybody ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Nikon on any other body? I'm just surprised as the 24/2.8 AIS has been superb for me, and is the sharpest 24mm prime I've ever tried, even wide open, and with decent corners on full frame. Just wondering if your copy is duff?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 24mm lenses on NEX-7 Reply with quote

glassbuster wrote:
So far I tried a f2.8 Ai Nikkor with no luck, wide open pretty unusable, real bad corners, blurry and some heavy magenta shift.

it sounds like your copy needs infinity calibration and service. The Nikkor 24/2.8 AI-S is a prime of highest quality, it can even stand the test of matching with the 36mpix Nikon D800E and performance is great already from wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ManualFocus-G and Esox Lucius
Yes, my last 24mm Nikkor might have been faulty. Back in the old days my first copy was fantastic on my F3, a real dream team.
The new copy I tested on the NEX-7 worked perfectly on my D300 though, but that's 12 months ago and now that I've sold them it's hard to tell.
It's a different story with my 28mm/f2. One of the 'best' lenses I've ever had in every aspect, pretty close to (ehem) 'perfect' , but then it's 28 not 24.
Anyhow, despite it's weight I still carry it in my backpack since one of the reasons I bought the NEX-7 is that mounted with the 28 it might replace my heavy Texas Leica I used to carry all the time and the first results look promising indeed . No more hassle with less than ideal developments, scanning, all too frequent X-Ray threats on the road, ..., you name it.
But then I still need a 24mm for that NEX-7. Anybody else ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry again no experience with NEX7, but I had tested MC W-Rokkor, Zuiko Auto-W, Pentax K, Nikkor NC-Auto f2.8 and Super Takumar f3.5 on NEX5N for sharpness.
Concerning edge performance the Zuiko very decisively is the best, and besides it is the smallest of all. I'd recommend the one which says "Zuiko MC" resp. "Zuiko". The earlier H.Zuiko, mine is a H.Zuiko, looses contrast when shot against light more easily than all the others.
Besides corner performance specially at wide apertures all mentioned perform quite close. Personally I use the Pentax K for handling and size.

Last edited by kuuan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24mm lenses I've tried on crop and full frame:

Vivitar 24/2.8 (Tokina made) - OK, soft in corners
Hoya 24/2.8 (Tokina made) - OK, soft in corners
Tamron Adaptall-2 24/2.8 - Sharp in the middle, soft in the corners and sides
Nikon 24/2 - Gorgeous colours, soft in the corners and sides
Nikon 24/2.8 - Very sharp from wide open, even in the corners
Vivitar 24/2 (Komine made) -Very sharp from f/5.6 but extremely soft at wide apertures
Carl Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8 AE - Gorgeous rendering but soft corners at wide apertures (MM is much better I believe)
Tamron SP 24-48 - Sharp in the centre, touch soft in the corners

Others to try:

Yashica ML 24/2.8
Olympus Zuiko 24/2.8
Olympus Zuiko 24/2

My recommendation would be to try another Nikkor. The Nex-7 shouldn't have any different requirements to other crop sensor cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention that I also have experience with the Tamron Adaptall-2 f2.5 and the Vivitar ( Kiron ) f2.
I had not included them in the test, but can say that the Tamron is not up to the level of the other lenses mentioned in my earlier post and that I can confirm that the Vivitar has very bad corner performance at wide apertures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks a lot so far !
OK then, I already have some 24mm Nikkors and MC Zuikos on my ebay watch list. The Zuiko comes first, not at least because of its size, but I guess a Nikkor follows shortly afterwards. Can't wait to have a workable 24mm on the NEX-7. I'll also try them against those 3 SEL1855 I still have, at least one of them has an accentuated sweet spot @ 24mm but somehow lacks the 'pop' I'm lusting after.
I'll report back with some results @ full resolution.

@Kuuan: Greetings to Saigon, gonna be back next Jan/Feb., I love that city.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get both, the Zuiko and Nikkor, let us know how your's compare Wink
since you seem to like small, the Pen-F Zuikos f4/25 and f2.8/25 also are worthy of consideration

thank's for the greetings. actually I left Saigon earlier today. Me too I love the place and shall be back, maybe second half of September, quite sure end of January / beginning February to stay for a while, we should meet then Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The Nex-7 shouldn't have any different requirements to other crop sensor cameras.

It's the design of the microlenses and the density of the pixels. If the light hits the sensor at too oblique an angle for the microlenses to handle then you have an issue - such as in the corners o the NEX-7 sensor when using a very wide lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That issue only relates to wide rf lenses though doesn't it? Therefore should have no relevance here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote
Quote:
That issue only relates to wide rf lenses though doesn't it? Therefore should have no relevance here.

As mentioned before (or somewhere else), it has been discussed ad nauseum all over the web. Some mentioned the registration or flange distance as THE critical factor (among others), but it looks more like the actual , individual distance between sensor and back element which depending on the lens as we all know isn't necessarily the same thing, even more so when all sorts of adapters come into play. I don't have any technical specs at hand but I guess Sony uses a different matrix of microlenses on the NEX-7. Apart from that, those Nikkors that I've tried on the NEX-5 showed different results on my Nikon D300 that I no longer own., these were not just corner issues. (Dang, I don't have any pics left to show what I mean).
Anyhow, so far I haven's tried any RF lenses on my NEXes and I'm not planning to get any symetrical wideangle lenses in the near future, I'm fine with old SLR glass.

@Kuuan: If everything turns out as planned I'll be in Vietnam in early 2013, can't wait to revisit this wonderful country, so maybe ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Tamron 2.5/24 on my NEX.
(And the Nikkor-N.C 2.8/24 is not bad either.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe SLR lenses can have corner smearing issues as well as color shifts on NEX-7. They are all retrofocus design (with very few notable exceptions) so their rear element does not come anywhere close to the sensor. I think what you are seeing is just lens being unable to deliver the resolution necessary for 24 MP APS-C sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input and the link Fermy.
As others have suggested my copy of the Nikkor 24mm/f.2.8 might have been faulty and I don't have any of those pics left to demonstrate my observations.
Again that lens performed flawlessly on my D300 and I can't remember having it dropped or slammed against something.
However, I'm in the market for a 24mm Zuiko now and maybe another 24mm Nikkor, but for a walkaround lens I'd prefer the Zuiko by some margin due to its smaller size. On a side note, when it comes to 'sharpness' my first SEL1855 performs just fine around 24mm but then it's only f4 max. at that focal length and to me the images appear somewhat 'lifeless', for lack of a better term.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I don't believe SLR lenses can have corner smearing issues as well as color shifts on NEX-7. .

That's right. SLR lenses don't produce violet corners, colour shift on a NEX-7!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I don't believe SLR lenses can have corner smearing issues as well as color shifts on NEX-7. They are all retrofocus design (with very few notable exceptions) so their rear element does not come anywhere close to the sensor. I think what you are seeing is just lens being unable to deliver the resolution necessary for 24 MP APS-C sensor.

Sure, I agree, as I said it's the density of the pixels.

I've not had any issues with 17, 18, 19, 21, 24m lenses on my NEX-3, but of course it is a different sensor to the 7.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a b c

Last edited by albasana on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also struggling on whether I need a 24mm and if so which one to get.

Cause 24mm (36mm equivalent) is covered by the SEL1855 kit lens in terms of focal length. And is it worthwhile to spend the money on a focal length that I potentially will not use a lot? Any experience on whether the 24mm (36mm) is a nice focal length to work with on the Nexs? Given that you have a 16mm (24mm) and a 18-55 already?

Also, not MF, but what about Nikon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24mm 1.4, Sigma 24mm 1.4? They are bigger and heavier but they are also faster to work with and I think the Sigma has an aperture ring right?