Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 24mm in London
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Zuiko 24mm in London Reply with quote

I bought 3 lenses recently, a 24mm zuiko f2.8, 28mm zuiko f2.8 and nikon ais 105mm f2.5 (Attila's fault Smile), all for less than a ?100!!

Ebay is good sometimes...

The 24mm zuiko had a scuff on the front but came with an adaptor for ?35!!

It seems a pretty good lens, although I must say I found it hard to compose with.

Anyway, here are a few shots, nothing spectacular, don't think I was feeling very inspired, but hopefully they show what a nice sharp little lens it is.

1. I don't really do lens tests but here is a sort of one - shot wide open and pointing diagonally at a wall so that SOMETHING has got to be in focus (still working on hitting focus Smile )

2. 100% crop with NO sharpening in camera or otherwise. This is quite good for ultrawide, no?

3. The rest are shot of Tower Bridge, from Tower Bridge and around the South Bank.

Love to hear comments especially critique as usual!!

Thanks!!

Simon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set of pictures, I usually vote for your B&Ws but in this case I put the colour ones ahead, especially 6 and 9.

Zuiko wides, I am after them too, for some reason I seem only to stumble into pricey copies, still waiting for a good occasion to come my way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots! did you use a polarizer and/or photoshop for #3-#9?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astounding pictures Smile ... I like the Dawn Color ones. Never comed close to old zuikos. Looks like very decent lenses.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 4 5 and 9 for me. Is that really a bubble in top right of 5? If ythis is what you do when I are not inspired I cant wait til you are! The B+W look like IR photography have you done this in photoshop?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 for me. Impressive shots.

Methinks I know some of those shots from somewhere...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
3The B+W look like IR photography have you done this in photoshop?

It looks like HDR editing to me (=combining different exposure takes or different RAW exposure processsing to obtain one image with apparent extended dynamic range)

In fact, in one case (picture 7), it looks a bit overdone for my taste.

I'm not a big fan of HDR. I use it sometimes, but very very little. And when I have found a balance that I think "it can work", I usually apply only at 50% and that's the final for me.

Besides, this is a "trick" I often do with all kind of filtering. When i find a setting that convinces me at the moment, I cut it to half and apply it. I hardly regret it afterwards this way.

_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ALl,

Katzer - I find an extremely hard subject to photograph - I have tried many times and I am not all that happy with these.

Think my favorite is 6 of the bridge, but I don't like the leaning verticals. If I correct it it loses the drama in the sky. Think I will have to have a wedge-shaped photo Smile

HI Naplam, I don't have a polariser.

Sqwall thanks for kind words Smile

Hacksawbob - I meant to clone that out - must have forgotten (doh!) It's a light fitting on a cable!!

LucisPictor cheers very much!!

Hi Orio -

I don't know how to use HDR - no software.

I use a bunch of techniques, most particularly "contrast masking" - tutorial at Luminous Landscape, and fiddling with curves and levels.

I personally hate HDR which is over the top with white halos and so on, but I know what you mean - 7 has this look. Sqwall has shown some very nice HDR stuff here - just looks dramatic.

Although you can see that the subjects are moving and from my understanding of HDR this would not be possible to do - multiple exposures = moving people.

Cheers,

Simon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! Great images!