Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit 3m with Helios44 2/58
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Zenit 3m with Helios44 2/58 Reply with quote

A quick shot after the first clean and tests, its looks splendid.

all works well.

As I received it it was so irty that i was not thinking to screw the lens on my dslr. Now the first clean is done it looks completly different.

Gues bying a m39 to m42 adapter is worth it.

Guido

http://home.scarlet.be/geystersveld/forum/Zenit3m.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenit 3m with Helios44 2/58 Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
A quick shot after the first clean and tests, its looks splendid.

all works well.

As I received it it was so irty that i was not thinking to screw the lens on my dslr. Now the first clean is done it looks completly different.

Gues bying a m39 to m42 adapter is worth it.

Guido

http://home.scarlet.be/geystersveld/forum/Zenit3m.jpg

That brings back memories! The 3M was my very first SLR back in 1964 Smile

If the lens is M42 it must be impossible to focus on infinity - is that right?

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its M39 so I don't know.

Guido

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
Its M39 so I don't know.

Guido

I'm lost. Why buy an adapter if the camera and lens are both M39?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oeps! Should have been more clear!

I have an pentax Ist Ds with bayonet. and a M42 to K bayonet ring.

So I can use m42 on my dslr. Hope to find an adapter to connect this lens on my Pentax.

Guido

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
Oeps! Should have been more clear!

I have an pentax Ist Ds with bayonet. and a M42 to K bayonet ring.

So I can use m42 on my dslr. Hope to find an adapter to connect this lens on my Pentax.

Guido

Ah! The mist clears Smile

M39/M42 rings are quite easy to find Click here to see on Ebay It's not Leica thread!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 and M39 for SLR camera has same register distance , it allow infinity on Canon. M39 range finder that is Leica screw usable only for close-focus works.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
M42 and M39 for SLR camera has same register distance , it allow infinity on Canon. M39 range finder that is Leica screw usable only for close-focus works.

Sorry for beeing so small-minded but as I said in the other thread concerning Guidos new toys the register or working distance of M42 and m39-slr is different. M42 is 45.5mm and russian M39-slr is 45.2mm. The adapter ring is smaller in diameter then the mount, so perhaps you can adjust this difference by screwing the adapter deeper in the mount. I don't now if the lens then can also be screwed a little bit deeper because of the lens diameter.

The difference is only small, only 0.3mm. By using M42 adapters for canon this often makes no difference because most adapters are to thin and allow focusing beyond infinity. So a m39-slr adapter screwed in a Canon-m42 adapter has often unintendendly the correct register distance of 45.2mm.
But I often heard from Pentax users that this small difference causes problems with infinity focus for them, because the register distance of Pentax is same as M42 with 45.5mm. So there is no tolerance for the adapter. For Portraits this doesn't matter... Very Happy

Michael

****, does anyone understand what I tried to say? I hate myself for sleeping during my english lessons 25 years ago... Mad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, your message makes perfect sense to me - congratulations on your excellent English!

I've used M42 lenses on my Pentax ME for many years, using the simple flush ring adapter. These adapters are a little awkward to remove, and I was thinking of trying one like this http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/pentax-adapter.htm from RuGift.com or Roxsen. You have confirmed for me that they don't allow infinity focus. I wish they would say so in the advertisement. Thank you for the information.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

The difference is only small, only 0.3mm. By using M42 adapters for canon this often makes no difference because most adapters are to thin and allow focusing beyond infinity. So a m39-slr adapter screwed in a Canon-m42 adapter has often unintendendly the correct register distance of 45.2mm.
But I often heard from Pentax users that this small difference causes problems with infinity focus for them, because the register distance of Pentax is same as M42 with 45.5mm. So there is no tolerance for the adapter. For Portraits this doesn't matter... Very Happy

I can confirm this. I have a Helios-40 M39 mount. The adapter ring does not create any problem, it fits deeply inside the M42-EOS adapter. What creates the problem is the base of Helios-40 mount which has a slightly protruding inner circle which does not allow for complete contact between the lens and adapter. This creates a slight problem with infinity focus. The problem is gone "de facto" if you stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 however. It is only really noticeable wide open. But in the case of the Helios-40 it does not really matter because those who buy it want to use it for portraits.
The problem would be worse for a wide angle lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is often some confusion about M39-SLR and M39-LTM* lenses.
M39-SLR lenses are quite rare. You can find them in Russian production regularly, though.

I have a Jupiter-37A (which means, made for M39 lenses).
I've added a M39-M42-ring and thus can use this lens at my EOS with a normal M42-EOS-adapter.
It does focus on infinity. If this is the case because the adapter allows it or for some other reason, I do not really care. It works! Wink

Still, Michael is right to mention the tiny register difference, since this can prevent possible disappointment.

Carsten

* LTM = Leica Thread Mount (for rangefinders such as the old Leicas or FEDs...)