Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss: "The world most powerful lenses"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Zeiss: "The world most powerful lenses" Reply with quote

Interesting Read esp. about the Planar:

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/ContentsWWWIntern/B1A88C4D8F55B219C125731D004AC1B8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed,thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed. Still, we have to consider that this text has been published on the Zeiss website. Wink

Anyway, I'd say that Zeiss and Leica are the two best lens labels in the world.
The performance of their lenses is then closely followed by Nikon, Olympus and Canon lenses, perhaps Pentax and Schneider-Kreuznach.

For my personal taste, Leica is the "crème de la crème", since I like the Leica character a little more than the Zeiss character, even though you know how thrilled and amazed I was by the Planar 1.4/85!

But then, this could as well be some regional patriotism. I live about 45min away from the Leica headquarters. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Interesting indeed. Still, we have to consider that this text has been published on the Zeiss website. Wink

Anyway, I'd say that Zeiss and Leica are the two best lens labels in the world.
The performance of their lenses is then closely followed by Nikon, Olympus and Canon lenses, perhaps Pentax and Schneider-Kreuznach.

For my personal taste, Leica is the "crème de la crème", since I like the Leica character a little more than the Zeiss character, even though you know how thrilled and amazed I was by the Planar 1.4/85!

But then, this could as well be some regional patriotism. I live about 45min away from the Leica headquarters. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Zeiss forever Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive feats of lens design technology, thanks for posting. This makes me simultaneously feel very good about the ZK lenses I own, but also wonder how my first copy of 25/2.8 didn't focus to infinity, hehe. Certainly these scientists weren't the ones that QC'd my first lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientists have to do the development, not quality control, that is a factory/production issue!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Scientists have to do the development, not quality control, that is a factory/production issue!

Of course. Just a bit of humour there, but its true.

Cosina in Japan do a _great_ job on their own Voigtlander releases (surely these inspired Zeiss when considering to leave the Z line of lenses in their care) and then they are QC'd by Zeiss (or at least have a Zeiss card and signature inside each lens). I'd never bought a lens with a personal QC checklist completed inside, it certainly feels like your premium price paid is well invested upon opening the beautiful box.

Even though my first copy of the lens was certainly out of spec, I have to assume this happens less overall with their lenses due to the personal care taken with each lens - but they are human too, afterall.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still hate Zeiss for being the cause of the discontinuation of the Voigtlander lenses in the Cosina factory, most importantly the Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar. There's is no Zeiss version of that lens and I don't want the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2, as it only goes down to 1:2 and not 1:1 like the APO-Lanthar. The Zeiss 100mm may be one heck of a lens but I don't want it, I want the Voigtlander! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar lenses are the best in the world Smile

The history books lie! Takumar invented photography and all cameras Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spystyle wrote:

LOL, Takumar for president! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
spystyle wrote:

LOL, Takumar for president! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I still hate Zeiss for being the cause of the discontinuation of the Voigtlander lenses in the Cosina factory, most importantly the Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar. There's is no Zeiss version of that lens and I don't want the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2, as it only goes down to 1:2 and not 1:1 like the APO-Lanthar. The Zeiss 100mm may be one heck of a lens but I don't want it, I want the Voigtlander! Twisted Evil

I'm not able to find the conversation I read at the moment, but I read a very interesting first hand report of a fellow who visited the Cosina factory in rural Japan. He said there are different lines for the Voigtlanders and Zeiss. The SLIIs and the line of rangefinder Voigts are still all produced in volume along side the Zeiss.

Also, FWIW another batch of the 90/3.5s turned up and were selling recently (if not still) at cameraquest.

Since I already have the 125, I really hope that Cosina turn the 35/1.2 Nokton into an SLII addition.... at any rate, I agree, I can't wait to see what else they release actually.