Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X-Fujinon 55mm f1.6 DM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: X-Fujinon 55mm f1.6 DM Reply with quote

After seeing an earlier thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/fuji-fujica-fujinon-f1-6-multiple-versions-t38604.html
I was impressed by the photos, especially by the "3d pop" on siudym's contributions.
After some time I found one in perfect condition for about 25€! Instant buy Very Happy

And I really like it, here are some recent photos!
(Sony A7)

Smaller bokeh on edges.

Without editing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.6/55 is an excellent lens, it was a carry-over from the M42 Fujinons and is much less common than the 1.6/50 that replaced it. The 1.6/50 is also excellent, but was introduced as a cost cutting measure, so it does not quite match the older lens in performance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishermen and perches are very good! Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both 55 and 50 (both ebc), I would not be so categorical that 50 worse 55.

55мм 1.6 (ebc) - A7R

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its character very similar to Prakticar 1.4/50mm. I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
I have both 55 and 50 (both ebc), I would not be so categorical that 50 worse 55.

I think copy variation is a big factor. I only had one copy of the 1.6/55, and it was superb, sadly I sold it.

The first copy of the 1.6/50 I had was rotten, not sharp until f4 and with severe LoCA.

However, I have two more copies of the 1.6/50 now and it is clear the first copy I had was faulty as both the other two copies are very fine indeed. The 1.6/55 had more microcontrast and therefore 3D effect, so I do wonder if it had EBC coatings and the 1.6/50s I have don't? I believe there are both EBC and non-EBC versions.

Here's one of my 1.6/50s on NEX-3:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 1.6/55 is an excellent lens, it was a carry-over from the M42 Fujinons and is much less common than the 1.6/50 that replaced it. The 1.6/50 is also excellent, but was introduced as a cost cutting measure, so it does not quite match the older lens in performance.

I'm glad to have found one, it's the first one I've seen on Swedish auction sites. The 1.8/55 and 2.2/55 do show up from time to time though.
It's interesting that they chose f/1.6 for maximum aperture for those later lenses.

sergtum wrote:
Fishermen and perches are very good! Like 1

Thanks! We got a lot of them that day, but saved the four to eat. They are really tasty fish!

sergun wrote:

55мм 1.6 (ebc) - A7R

That's the 55 alright, nice samples!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Its character very similar to Prakticar 1.4/50mm. I love it!

Oh, now I have to search google for samples Very Happy.

Does it have Praktica mount?

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
sergun wrote:

I think copy variation is a big factor. I only had one copy of the 1.6/55, and it was superb, sadly I sold it.

The first copy of the 1.6/50 I had was rotten, not sharp until f4 and with severe LoCA.

However, I have two more copies of the 1.6/50 now and it is clear the first copy I had was faulty as both the other two copies are very fine indeed. The 1.6/55 had more microcontrast and therefore 3D effect, so I do wonder if it had EBC coatings and the 1.6/50s I have don't? I believe there are both EBC and non-EBC versions.

Here's one of my 1.6/50s on NEX-3:

The portrait of the man looks quite similar to the 55mm characteristics. Nice to see how the 50mm renders.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Prakticar 1.4/50, I'll take some samples to compare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 1.6/55 had more microcontrast and therefore 3D effect, so I do wonder if it had EBC coatings and the 1.6/50s I have don't? I believe there are both EBC and non-EBC versions.

Yes, there are as a multi enlightened ebc and conventional. What's the difference ? It's hard to say. By the way fujinon 50mm f1.6 produced under the German trademark Porst. They also have the regular version and multi coated, only instead of ebc signboard, inscription umc. The "big brother" fujinon 50mm f1.2 also has a twin brother Porst 50mm f1.2

55мм f1.6 (ebc) - A7R

50mm f1.6 (ebc) -A7R

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very typical Fujinon OOF areas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 1.6/55 had more microcontrast and therefore 3D effect, so I do wonder if it had EBC coatings and the 1.6/50s I have don't? I believe there are both EBC and non-EBC versions.

Yes, there are as a multi enlightened ebc and conventional. What's the difference ? It's hard to say. By the way fujinon 50mm f1.6 produced under the German trademark Porst. They also have the regular version and multi coated, only instead of ebc signboard, inscription umc. The "big brother" fujinon 50mm f1.2 also has a twin brother Porst 50mm f1.2

I have a Porst branded one and a Fujinon branded one, I'll take a picture of them to compare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Fujinons i do not like this spontaneous star\end of DOF. I also do not like nervosity in bokeh there as well. I do admire , though , same nervosity in bokeh bubbles on the back .
I used to have PORST version with F1.2. Also sometimes CA pops up unexpectedly in most visible places.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gud wrote:
With Fujinons i do not like this spontaneous star\end of DOF. I also do not like nervosity in bokeh there as well. I do admire , though , same nervosity in bokeh bubbles on the back.

Indeed, the bokeh of most Fujinons is somehow special and nothing for my taste. I've also this X-Fujinon 55mm/F1.6 DM and it's the same story.
However, obviously some folks like that. Wink

Here are two examples from my lens both at F1.6 from my Sony NEX-C3: