Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Willaby Creek - Yashica Mat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Willaby Creek - Yashica Mat Reply with quote

Sorry for "Yashica Mat" this, and "Yashica Mat" that...hate to inundate the forum with images rather than post "all in one". But, it takes time to scan between my other things going on, so I don't have much choice other than to open new Topics each time. Confused

But, at least I'm getting a lot of scanning done! Originals at 2400dpi, and then a re-scan for the web at 800dpi. That way, I don't have to work on the big file, but still have it safely stored on an extra hard drive, with a backup on the CD. So, these I'm showing are at 800dpi, which is fine for the web.

I am OFF today! Just found out last night that I can sneak off for a day! Wow, I'm READY! In fact, it's 5:09am here, and I'm having a cup of joe, have my stuff out in the car (frosty and cold, but the stars are out!).

I'm going to drive to Aberdeen, and then north to my favorite valley - the Quinault River. Then, this evening will try to catch the sunset out at Beach Trail #4.

Here's Willaby Creek, which I will be visiting today along the way. It's always cool and dark in there, I tried to keep it as light as possible. Again -a challenge shot for me. This is the -1 bracket out of four bracketed shots. It's showing the greens that are truly there - this place just OOZES green. I have to love the Yashica Mat.

See the nicely shaped fern in the bedrock on the right hand side, down near the water? I got a very good shot of that last month with the Tamron SP 70-210 with the 2x Komura Teleconverter at "full power" (420mm). Homed right in there, and the shape of the fern against the dark rock was nice. I'll post that shot eventually. I'm going to take Attila's 500mm lens today and see how that goes for the same shot.

Willaby Creek - Quinault Rain Forest

Yashica Mat 124
f:8, 1 second
Fuji Velvia 50

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about spreading them out, I just want to see them.

Having said that the slow repeated 'Yashica-Mat' is having a hypnotic effect to the point that I'm convincing myself life will not be complete until I purchase one Wink

Another superb composition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perfect composition, and given the scale of the image, I am sure that we are losing much by looking at it at this small enlargement.

Laurence, although I have nothing against many Yashica Mat threads, I think they will make it hard for others, in the future, to make a search and retrieve all image samples.
It would be better, perhaps, if you create a single Yashica Mat thread, or, perhaps, 3-4 threads separated by subjects such as "Yashica Mat Olympia", "Yashica Mat Southwest", etc., and when you have a new picture, add a reply to the thread, which will bump up in the list, so nobody will miss the new offering, while at the same time, all pictures with the same camera, or same subject, are grouped together for easier retrieval.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurence / Orio

How about a gallery where they are all assembled? That way the gallery can be updated each time Laurence starts a new YM thread

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Lurence / Orio
How about a gallery where they are all assembled? That way the gallery can be updated each time Laurence starts a new YM thread
patrickh

Patrick, what do you mean by gallery? You mean a gallery outside the Gallery forum?

If you think it can be useful, and if Attila can arrange it, why not?
But I personally don't see a problem in keeping to post images to this Gallery as well. I always add to my old Gallery threads when I have new content that is pertinent to them. This helps keeping the forum more searchable and the information concentrated in one place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every member has who is want it available space on mflenses.com/gallery, but not many use it...Let me know Laurence if you want it.
Another idea from those pictures what is uploaded here sometimes I can make an image gallery for each users and we can link in their sign. Only the problem I don't have time to develop that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio/Attila

I did not mean outside the Gallery - it would serve little purpose that way. We all know to go to the Gallery when in doubt..

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the separate posts each one has been taken and processed with care, deserving of their own thread, just my view. keep them coming you are developing an unhealthy interest in medium format in me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A jungle in America's North-West. Wow!
What a great shot.

I have been thinking about this cam for a while now, and the more I see of your pics the more I want one! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten = you are correct. The PNW is largely temperate rain forest - a cool jungle. Scenery all the way from California to Canada is incredible. Really hope you will make it out here Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I like the separate posts each one has been taken and processed with care, deserving of their own thread, just my view.

Posting to one thread does not mean to do careless images!!
It only means to keep images together and make it easier to find them in some months from now.
Now all threads are recent, so you only have to browse back a few threads to find them all. But imagine 6 months from now, after delayed replies have scattered them all around the pages in chaotic order, and you have lost the count of how many different threads there are and what subjects they have.
I always post my images as follow-ups to existing threads when there is a common subject, yet I don't think I am careless in processing my images.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of just posting updates to a single thread, which is what I will do in the case of the Yashica Mat. Thanks for the tips, all!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
A jungle in America's North-West. Wow!
What a great shot.

I have been thinking about this cam for a while now, and the more I see of your pics the more I want one! Wink

Well, it is certainly a nice one to have in your bag. Doesn't take up much room, especially for being a 6x6 format.

The image is reversed, which has been a GREAT help in composition for me. If the scene through my eyes looks balanced, then looking through the reversed viewfinder can confirm that balance nicely.

The BIGGEST reason for me keeping the Yashica Mat is the lens. So incredibly sharp corner to corner. The trannies on the light box are really something else. Also, I have a projector, and can get a VERY clean 8x8 foot image projected.

It's sometimes hard to believe the sharpness and size that comes out of that relatively small box of a camera.

Don't pay big $$$ for a screen. Just go get one of the window blinds that you pull down. The one I have has a GREAT satin surface. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yet I don't think I am careless in processing my images.
sorry I didn't mean that you are, I see your organisational point of same thread. In my head the more analogue nature of film I have it in my head that film is more time consuming than digital to get the image to screen. The common theme is the subject ie the wilderness of Washington State, rather than the yashica-mat, if we were to group threads by camera then again it would be a nonsense. Maybe we can as moderators merge the existing images to a Yashica mat Washington wilderness thread. Smile