Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

who made the first floating element design?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: who made the first floating element design? Reply with quote

I was wondering for a long time.

Pentax K28/2 'distagon' and Tak 15/3.5 Asph were designed by Zeiss with floating element.
Nikon used floating element with own name 'CRC' on among their 35/1.4, 28/2.

I checked wiki, but was not enlighted.
Any other sources about the design and history?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta lenses with a floating element optical system are:

17mm f-4 MD
20mm f-2.8 MD
24mm f-2.8 MD VFC
28mm f-2 MD
35mm f-2.8 Shift CA
Apparently the MD 24mm f2.8 and MD 35mm f1.8 wideangle lenses also have floating elements
most of these lenses were introduced in 1977

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: who made the first floating element design? Reply with quote

I guess this floating element technique was generally known and technically possible a long time before it hit the market. Similar to autofocus, enlargements, apochromats and many other camera techniques Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual nikkors with floating element

13/5.6 K ('75),ai ('77),ais ('82)
15/5.6 qd.c ('73)
15/5.6 k,ai ('76)
15/3.5 ai ('78 ),ais ('81)
18/3.5 ais ('81)
20/2.8 ais ('84)
24/2.8 k ('75),ai ('77),ais ('81)
24/2 ai ('77),ais ('81)
28/2 k ('75),ai ('77),ais ('81)
28/2N c ('70)
28/2.8 ais ('81)
35/1.4N c ('70)
35/1.4 k ('75),ai ('77),ais ('81)
85/1.4 ais ('81)
55/2.8 micro ais ('79)
105/2.8 micro ais ('81)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meyer Domiron 50/2 (presented 1960) had a floating element, which might put it first, at least where small format still photography primes are concerned. Mamiya had 50 and 65mm lenses with a (manually, by an extra ring) floating group for the RB67 from the late sixties on, which also preceded the already mentioned Nikon, Zeiss and Pentax lenses.

I suppose motion picture zoom lenses may have come first - most high quality zoom lenses silently incorporate floating elements.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta patented the floating system at 1958, but the first consumer/production lens with it
was Nikkor 24mm F2.8 at 1967.
(Source: The foundation and development of photographic lenses, by Toshinobu Ogura
ISBN4-257-12012-6 C0072 P200E, Publisher: Asahi Sonorama Co. Ltd.)

It sounds strange, but they traded their patent each other. It was quite commonly
done while they were fighting against the traditional camera industries of Europe.
(Examples: quick return mirror, penta prism, auto exposure, etc.)

Last edited by koji on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The Meyer Domiron 50/2 (presented 1960) had a floating element, which might put it first, at least where small format still photography primes are concerned. Mamiya had 50 and 65mm lenses with a (manually, by an extra ring) floating group for the RB67 from the late sixties on, which also preceded the already mentioned Nikon, Zeiss and Pentax lenses.

I suppose motion picture zoom lenses may have come first - most high quality zoom lenses silently incorporate floating elements.

Don't think that the Domiron has a floating element. Guess that is a legend.
Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon FD 85mm f1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical and the FD 85mm f1.2 L both have floating elements. The former was released in 1975 and the latter around 1980. Heres a quote from the mir.com.my site:

"The exclusive Canon Floating System ensures high performance even at the close focusing distance. Along with the elimination of flare at the maximum lens opening, equal effort was placed with successful results in producing fine resolution of image at smaller apertures during daytime photography."

And:

"This lens sets another precedent in being the first telephoto to incorporate Canon's Floating System, insuring good resolution even at the closest focusing distance of 0.9 meter. Perfect for available-light portraiture, this lens is the essence of high performance and provide a high degree of detail even under extremely low light conditions with its aspherical element".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first floating element used in a lens happened, simply, with the first zoom lens released Wink , of which I ignore the date.
Regarding the use of a floating element in a prime photographic lens, the first recorded case is a Nikkor lens of 1967.
There are, however, references that this technique was used even before by Erhard Glatzel in the creation of cinema lenses
for the Arriflex (Zeiss) line. The floating element was a necessary requirement for the fast wide angle lenses that were necessary
for the cinema industry; otherwise, it would have been impossible to have those lenses focus correctly at close distances.
For this reason, Erhard Glatzel is generally considered the "inventor" (although the term if taken literally is surely inappropriate)
of the concept of a floating element in a prime lens scheme.
The first Zeiss photographic prime lens created with the use of a floating element was the Distagon 2/28, designed by the same Erhard
Glatzel and first prototyped around 1970; because of this use of the floating element, which was a direct derivation from Glatzel's
experience with Arriflex cinema lenses, the Distagon 2/28 was quickly nicknamed the "Hollywood" Distagon.
And the rest, as they say, is history.

Hope this helps Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Olympus Zuiko macro, 50/3.5. That was around 1971 or so.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Sevo wrote:

Don't think that the Domiron has a floating element. Guess that is a legend.
Klaus

I did open and clean Domiron, it has floating element I can confirm it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Koji, patent office is a good place to visit. I had been there several time in my city, researching for something else. Pretty much things are searchable and open for public, but not through the internet. Thanks.
Sevo, Klaus and Attila, thanks for this extra info - you keep all paper?
Orio, Nice summary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Domiron teardown Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I did open and clean Domiron, it has floating element I can confirm it.

@Attila

I have acquired Meyer Domiron 2/50mm, which has the beginnings of fungus on the perimeter of the inside of front and rear elements.

I want to teardown to get access to inside of front and rear elements for treatment with Ponds; perhaps you have knowledge to share.

There is a little screw on the front baffle cone and there are screws on the back. I have all the usual lens tools.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

Pretty much things are searchable and open for public, but not through the internet.

Have you tried espacenet at the European Patent Office ?

There's lots of useful "stuff" there - Zeiss/Glatzel patents, Nikon CRC patents .....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The Meyer Domiron 50/2 (presented 1960) had a floating element.

I can confirm it I did open this lens to clean it and was pretty shocking when I found it.