Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300 f/4 is the better?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to subject, my feel about 300mm Sonnar they are much less good than 180-200mm lens no matter which variants. Even this opinion I really wish to buy sometimes a Contax CZ 300mm lens Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but compared to the 300mm's I've owned and used even the nearly 60 year old Olympic is a big step up in IQ.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Yes but compared to the 300mm's I've owned and used even the nearly 60 year old Olympic is a big step up in IQ.

Oh yes, certainly better than any third party lenses and a good one , just not stunning like 180 and 200mm lenses. Your lens is very interesting due rarity and it's quality both. Rare opportunity to have it, I saw locally only once under 5 yrs. I bought my copy from USA 3 yrs ago for 350 USD and still with me Wink need to take out and shoot some new photos again with better camera and better technic what I have no. Perhaps my opinion will change a lot Wink

I have rarest 18cm Sonnar Military edition to Leica , I was shocked when I saw it's output.They made before war same quality lens than Contax 180mm Sonnar which is best in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Even this opinion I really wish to buy sometimes a Contax CZ 300mm lens Wink

I did once, bought a new old stock Contax Tele-Tessar 300 from a shop.
I returned it, because it was unuseable with CA. Now, we know that all tele lenses that are not Apo have some CA wide open,
but usually you can make it go away by stopping down. With the Tele-Tessar 300 instead it stayed there at all stops, even at f/8.
The Jena Sonnar 300 is a better lens. At least my copy is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it was just your copy, thank you for remind me!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I guess it was just your copy, thank you for remind me!

Well, I don't know, my copy was like that, I have not tried other copies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I know , but hard to believe this is a 'feature' from Contax all lenses from them not less than stunning , so based on this experience I believe it this is a copy issue problem only.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strange thing is, the lens was new in box.
So it could not have been damaged by a previous owner.