Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 28mm for landscape photography?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Which 28mm for landscape photography? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 28mm lens primarily for landscape use on both APS-C (digital) and full frame (film). The two I'm considering are a Pentax K 28mm f3.5 SMC and a Vivitar Series 1 28mm f1.9.

Does one excel at middle distance to infinity over the other?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are excellent lenses. But I recommend you reconsider your choice of focal lengths. Not all that far from 28mm is 24mm. It's close enough where the extra stretch may not seem too much, yet the extra stretch is enough to make a noticeable difference. This is especially true with 35mm/full frame. Less so, obviously, for APS-C. Still, better than 28mm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar has a rotating front element and it doesn't handle backlight very well, so it might not be a good choice for landscape...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used several very good 28mm lenses over time and was still blown away by the Pentax K 28mm f3.5 SMC when I got one.
From the two that you have listed.
This would be my choice unhesitatingly.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which 28mm for landscape photography? Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I'm looking for a 28mm lens primarily for landscape use on both APS-C (digital) and full frame (film). The two I'm considering are a Pentax K 28mm f3.5 SMC and a Vivitar Series 1 28mm f1.9.

Does one excel at middle distance to infinity over the other?

Pentax K 28/3.5 has very decent IQ,doesn't matter the distance.

To me the best trio of small and moderately priced vintage lenses is : Pentax K 28/3.5,Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS,Distagon 28/2.8 C/Y MM

Here are a few samples:

Sony A72+Pentax K 28/3.5 at f11
https://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/951/U951.1527940841.0.jpg

at f8
https://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/951/U951.1527938929.3.jpg
https://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/951/U951.1527938929.8.jpg

and wide open
https://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/951/U951.1527939290.8.jpg
https://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/951/U951.1527939290.3.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cheap OM 28mm f/3,5 and find it extremely sharp. In fact tack sharp from wide open on A7 and much easier to focus than the most expensive OM 24mm f/2,8.

I think it is hard to beat for landscape as a cheap, compact and razor sharp little thing.
Pentax K may be even better (OM color rendition is somewhat a bit cool and neutral), but it is very rare and all the samples I've seen were very expensive for a f/3,5 lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the pentax K and the vivitar. The pentax is notable for it's consistency both through the f stops and across the frame, but centre frame other pentax 28's like the "M" version are pretty much as sharp, stopped down. The viv is excellent stopped down (sample pics here) but has a sharp drop in IQ opening up to f1.9.

Dan Eurrit has done a lot of comparison of 28's on sony full frame:

http://www.codectest.com/2014/28mm-prime-lens-comparison-shot-on-sony-a7r-second-round

ending today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asahi-SMC-Pentax-28mm-f3-5-manual-focus-wide-angle-lens-for-Pentax-PK-mount/173516819374?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sold for £137. I'm tempted to sell mine....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying. The Pentax K 3.5/28 doesn't seem to appear often on eBay and when it does it sells for more than my budget will allow. I'll keep looking though and someday I may get lucky!
Michael, I know what you mean about the difference between a 24mm and 28mm fov, but to my eye I seem to take more pleasing shots with a 28mm. Maybe it suits my view of the world better.
Thank you for all your responses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax-m 28mm F3.5 is also a good one. Not as legendary as the K so it is cheaper.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/SMC-Pentax-M-28mm-f-3-5/173529258995?hash=item2867265bf3:g:ApsAAOSwMHtbmALe

or this one if you are very fast. https://www.ebay.nl/itm/SMC-Pentax-M-28mm-f-3-5-Pentax-K-Mount-Camera-Lens-T06/392130228225?hash=item5b4cc87001:g:dfMAAOSwV95bqUqc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar, maybe the comparison of my 28 mm lenses for landscape on APS-C may help you a little further:
http://forum.mflenses.com/28mm-lens-comparison-pentax-minolta-topcon-cv-kmz-t76791.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komine version of the Vivitar 28mm f/2 is very sharp.
A bit of chromatic aberration, and the lens looks odd and has strange bokeh. Still good quality for the price, and f/2 usable.

OM 28mm f/3,5 is still super sharp. Don't use it often because I feel limited by the aperture but otherwise high quality even wide open.

Recently add the Minolta Rokkor 28mm f/2,8 MD-III and it seems to be excellent. Razor sharp on an APS-C camera, but it's not a small lens. I will test it on full frame this week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a near mint copy of a Yashica ML 28mm f2.8 for £40. It seems to be well regarded from what I've read and it is adaptable to both my Sony Alpha A6000 and Canon EOS 5DMKII.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I found a near mint copy of a Yashica ML 28mm f2.8 for £40. It seems to be well regarded from what I've read and it is adaptable to both my Sony Alpha A6000 and Canon EOS 5DMKII.

There are a couple versions of that lens, and the later version is a quite a step up from the original. The mark 1 is still a good lens as long as you're not pixel peeping. There is information out there in this forum and other places on how to identify which one you have.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can hang anything on the APS-C camera at all. Makes no sense to take something expensive the type of Distagon or even Pentax 28/3.5. I recently did a test of the two lenses in the far field (landscape at Sony А7r ) Minolta MD 28/3.5 and Contax 28/2.8. Distagon won (of course) in resolution in the corners (not critical) but resize to 6MP (my standard resize) , I actually don't see any difference in the corners.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
There are a couple versions of that lens, and the later version is a quite a step up from the original. The mark 1 is still a good lens as long as you're not pixel peeping. There is information out there in this forum and other places on how to identify which one you have.

Thanks, I was aware that there are at least two versions and have been researching on this forum and elsewhere to see which mine is but I am still confused. Some have 7 digits and some have eight. My serial number is A12090193. If anyone can tell me which version mine is, it would be very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a recommendation for the Tamron Adaptall-II lenses here, so I'll put in a vote for those.

Neither the 24mm f/2.5 nor the 28mm f/2.5 will disappoint. The 24mm lens uses a 55mm filter/hood, the 28mm takes 49mm accessories. Neither lens has a rotating front element. Minimum focus on both lenses is 10", though that probably doesn't interest a landscape photographer Wink

The only slight consideration can be that when fitted with some screw-in rubber lens-hoods the lens won't focus to infinity, due to the way the lens barrel retracts into the lens body. A U/V filter, (with the glass removed if so desired) will act as a suitable spacer Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

My serial number is A12090193. If anyone can tell me which version mine is, it would be very much appreciated!

My Yashica 28/2.8 has an 8 digits serial number too and just like you I tried to find out if it was a I or a II version; and just like you I couldn't figure it out, because online you can only find information about 7 digits serial numbers. I also got in touch with som Yashica experts and posted a thread on the Yashica forum, but that lead me to nothing. So, in the end, I gave up the quest.

Anyways, Yashica users seem to agree that there's not much difference in optical quality between the two versions and that copy variance is so high with this lens that finding a good copy matters much more than finding a later version. Hope you found a good copy too. Here's mine:

[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucio wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

My serial number is A12090193. If anyone can tell me which version mine is, it would be very much appreciated!

My Yashica 28/2.8 has an 8 digits serial number too and just like you I tried to find out if it was a I or a II version; and just like you I couldn't figure it out, because online you can only find information about 7 digits serial numbers. I also got in touch with som Yashica experts and posted a thread on the Yashica forum, but that lead me to nothing. So, in the end, I gave up the quest.

Uhmm ... why not simply count the lenses? I mean u can close the aperture and count all the reflexes in the front group ...

https://olypedia.de/images/4/47/ML_28_2.8_Beipack_loeffel.jpg

My Yashica ML 2.8/28mm a seven lens construction, and not an excellent performer at all. Not even an average one ... compared to lenses such as the different Minolta MC/MD 2.8/28mm, the 2.8 and 3.5 Nikkors and the 2.8/28 Canon nFD.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Uhmm ... why not simply count the lenses? I mean u can close the aperture and count all the reflexes in the front group ...

https://olypedia.de/images/4/47/ML_28_2.8_Beipack_loeffel.jpg

I never learnt to do that! Smile Actually I could ask the guy at the photo shop to do that for me. I never thought about it.

After testing basically any 28mm I could adapt to EF, from Soligor to Leica, I seattled for the Yashica because it was the best compromise between speed, IQ, build quality and decent focus throw. It's not an amazing lens by any means, but it has no major flaws and it's reliable on the whole (Super35) frame, in every lighting condition, at every distance and diaphragm. It's a workhorse. According to the sn info I found online, I tested some copies of the 1st version too and some of those were pretty good, so maybe you just got a bad copy.[/quote]

Last edited by Lucio on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 24mm I would recommend the Ensinor 24mm Macro (also badged as Club), or any of the Takumars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 28mm I have for landscape:
Pentax 28/3.5 shift, ultra sharp.
Nikkor 28/3.5 shift, ultra sharp.
Pentax 28/3.5, very sharp.

The best 24mm I have for landscape:
OM 24/2.8 MC

Crop sensor:
Zeiss 24/1.8 E-mount.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
In 24mm I would recommend the Ensinor 24mm Macro (also badged as Club), or any of the Takumars.

Well I found the Ensinor 24mm sharp as well but being a film user it's difficult to compare it with my 5 other 24mms. When testing my 135mms, and to get consistent results, had to take the film out of the camera to different ones for testing different lenses...shame the Japanese didn't agree on a universal mount. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
The best 28mm I have for landscape:
Pentax 28/3.5 shift, ultra sharp.

Agree, but due to size and weight it's not really my preferred option when hiking. Wink

However, my CV 28/1.9 isn't bad as well...

Unfortunately not really cheap options.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the 28/2 models offered by Pentax? Also 28/2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 28/2, om 28/2 mc are small enough multi purpose.
Distagon 28/2, pentax 28/2, konica uc 28/1.8 are bigger and heavier.

I borrowed a summilux 28/1.4 for a week, I wish I can keep it. It excels everything at longer than 70cm.