Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28mm lens comparison (Pentax/Minolta/Topcon/CV/KMZ)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: 28mm lens comparison (Pentax/Minolta/Topcon/CV/KMZ) Reply with quote

Today I've checked my 4 SLR and 2 RF lenses in 28mm on my Ricoh GXR-M (APS-C).

As expected there was no real surprise. All of the lenses perform rather good to excellent, especially when stopped down.

In order to show a direct comparison I've chosen to show all lenses WO and at F5.6 (F6 and F8 for the KMZ). The differences at fully open apertures are rather negligible and only visible in 100% view "pixel peeping mode" in the very extreme corners. However, if somebody is interested I would be happy to show also some crops or provide the full size pictures. Stopped down it's almost impossible to differentiate those lenses.

Fully open the Minolta AF is best among the F2.8 lenses and all together the CV 28mm/1.9 (which is the most expensive lens) wins (it's also best at F2.8 ).

SMC Pentax-A F2.8
F2.8

F5.6

Minolta MD W.Rokkor F2.8 (version MD I, 7/7)
F2.8

F5.6

Minolta AF F2.8
F2.8

F5.6

Topcon Topcor UV F4
F4

F5.6

Voigtlander Ultron Aspherical F1.9
F1.9

F5.6

KMZ Orion-15 (1959) F6
F6

F8

Most of the WO shots have been heavily overexposed which has been corrected in LR6.

Interestingly Stephan from Artaphot states that the Minolta MD (7/7) is better than the Minolta AF (5/5). I cannot confirm this. For me it's the other way round. However, the differences at F2.8 are really negligible. Maybe there is some kind of sample variation. I don't know.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've totally forgotten to include my SMC PENTAX SHIFT 28mm/F3.5 in yesterday's test shooting.
As it's heavily foggy outside I will at least include an indoor shot which is of course not the main subject for a shift lens.
However, just to show the optical quality for normal shooting it's worth to have a look.

Shot WO at F3.5:

I can't detect any shortcomings. Looks extremely good and tack-sharp - even in pixel peeping mode.

When the weather improves I will also test it for infinity landscape.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Klaus!

As promised here is the infinity landscape shot from the SMC PENTAX SHIFT 28mm/F3.5 at F3.5:

Unfortunately the weather was not as good as for outdoor shots before.
However, the lens is fully usable already WO at F3.5. There are hardly any CA's visible and the sharpness is very good from edge to edge.
This lens has been produced from 1975-2004 and my copy is a later version.
Details of the lens can be found here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Shift-Lens.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: 28mm lens comparison (Pentax/Minolta/Topcon/CV/KMZ) Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Today I've checked my 4 SLR and 2 RF lenses in 28mm on my Ricoh GXR-M (APS-C).

Interestingly Stephan from Artaphot states that the Minolta MD (7/7) is better than the Minolta AF (5/5). I cannot confirm this. For me it's the other way round. However, the differences at F2.8 are really negligible. Maybe there is some kind of sample variation. I don't know.

Cheers,

First and most important: you have tested with a digital APS-C camera, my writing (from the 2010 book on the Sony Alpha Full Frame system) was based on testing the lenses with film, "full frame" of course.

Corner rendering and detail resolution on APS-C may be quite different from full frame. It may also have been a mistake on my side while using film, e. g. problems with the flatness of the film. I'll check as soon as possible using the A7.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 28mm lens comparison (Pentax/Minolta/Topcon/CV/KMZ) Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Most of the WO shots have been heavily overexposed which has been corrected in LR6.

Those can be compared with each other but are not representative of properly exposed examples, correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 28mm lens comparison (Pentax/Minolta/Topcon/CV/KMZ) Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
tb_a wrote:

Those can be compared with each other but are not representative of properly exposed examples, correct?

Actually I'm not too sure. When you compare the WO F2.9 or even F1.9 pictures with the stopped down (F5.6) and correctly exposed ones you barely miss anything; i.e. nothing was "washed out". Therefore I would say that the dynamic range of the sensor was able to cope with this situation.
Anyway, for me the most interesting topic was to find out the landscape performance (sharpness, contrast, vignetting and CA's) and for that purpose the pictures are IMHO good enough and actually every lens passed positively, depending on the used aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exposed "to the right"? (histogram) That's supposed to give best results when corrected in pp. Need a narrow histogram for that, narrow dynamic range.