Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Minolta 24-35mm f/3.5. Somebody sold a pristine one for 50€, so a no-brainer for me. Nice compact addition to the MD 75-150.

For its size and age it's a surprisingly good lens. At f=24mm it can't compete with the (much larger, much more expensive and aspherical) nFD 3.5/20-35mm, but for reportage purposes it's pretty well suited.

S

Exactly what I’m going to use it for. Travel & hiking.

That is one of my favourite lightweight travel combo's: Minolta MD 24-35/3.5 + MD 75-150/4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Minolta 24-35mm f/3.5. Somebody sold a pristine one for 50€, so a no-brainer for me. Nice compact addition to the MD 75-150.

For its size and age it's a surprisingly good lens. At f=24mm it can't compete with the (much larger, much more expensive and aspherical) nFD 3.5/20-35mm, but for reportage purposes it's pretty well suited.

S

That is one of my favourite lightweight travel combo's: Minolta MD 24-35/3.5 + MD 75-150/4

If you exclude extreme corners it is a very good lens around f6,7. My copy is optimum from 24 to 30 and is weaker close to 35. So maybe you should through in your bag a weightless 45 f2,0 or a 50 f2,0 since there is a significant gap between 30 and 75.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

S

If you exclude extreme corners it is a very good lens around f6,7. My copy is optimum from 24 to 30 and is weaker close to 35. So maybe you should through in your bag a weightless 45 f2,0 or a 50 f2,0 since there is a significant gap between 30 and 75.

Yeah, i can add my MDiii 50/2, or when I want even lighter I just crop from 35mm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't know, but there was also a 20-28mm prototype based on the same generic design of the MD 3.5/24-35mm!

S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

S

I'm happy enough with its performance at 35mm.

The gap between 35 and 70 isn't really a problem for me in practice; that is precisely the range of focal lengths where a bit of repositioning and legwork are an acceptable alternative, possibly with some cropping in PP. But that's a very personal perspective.

If I really needed the 50mm I would substitute the MD 24-50/4 for the MD 24-35/3.5

A more useful lightweight addition I personally think are one or two 49mm close-up achromats for use with the 75-150.

We all have our own favourite ways of working Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Most people don't know, but there was also a 20-28mm prototype based on the same generic design of the MD 3.5/24-35mm!

S

That would have been a great FL range for me.

Is there a list somewhere of all the MD-era prototypes Minolta worked on that never made it into production?

(I knew about the 300/2.8 already, but the 20-28 was news to me).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

That would have been a great FL range for me.

Is there a list somewhere of all the MD-era prototypes Minolta worked on that never made it into production?

(I knew about the 300/2.8 already, but the 20-28 was news to me).

I have the lens section of the 20-28 somewhere on an old hard disk ... yeah, there are other interesting things such as an aspherical MD 50mm 1.2 or an AF 4/200mm based on the same principles as the AF 2.8/135.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto-Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.4. There are apparently 2 optically different versions of this lens, a 6- and a 7 element. Don't know yet which one this is, once I received it I will check.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An uncommon industrial lens. It seems it does cover full-frame when I test it freelensing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Soligor DualFocal 3.5-3.8/28-35mm Reply with quote

I already had the tele version of the same "DualFocal" concept, branded Soligor C/D and very likely made by Sun.
When I saw the wide-angle version (in PK mount, like the other one I own) I couldn't resist and decided to buy it, if the price was low.
The price was actually very low, so now the lens is on its way to reach the loving hands of a friendly lady, who will pick up the parcel in my stead and keep it until I show up.
She already has a few parcel that couldn't be sent to me cause the international shipping would have been excessive, taking into consideration the low value of the item/s.

Soligor C/D DualFocal 3.5-3.8 28-35mm

Once I finalized my M39 Paxette adapter for Sony FE mount, with spot-on infinity, my curiosity for the lenses with that mount increased a lot.
I had already a few, but I decided to try more.
Unfortunately the Braun Super Paxette I bought proved to be the wrong purchase. Not all Super Paxette cameras have interchangeable optics, and the "-E" in the lens name doesn't mean interchangeable, like I thought, but rangefinder-coupled! The Super Paxette I (no way to know it's the first version from the external, as far as I know) has a fixed Staeble Kata -E 2.8/45mm lens. The only way to try it on digital would be to gut the camera, which would be a kind of a pity, cause I'm pretty sure I would never reassemble the camera once I try the lens.
In the meantime, I finally found a Paxette (not Super) with two nice lenses that could prove interesting on my Sony A7II.
Here is the camera:

Braun Paxette with Schneider Xenar 2.8/50mm and Enna Tele-Ennalyt 3.5/135mm

I have mostly used M42 and PK vintage lenses for years, either on the various Pentax APS-C DSLR cameras or more rarely on m4/3.
More recently I ended up practically using only the Pentax K-1 full frame, cause it's a great camera and I loved using it.
But it's a big and heavy and heavy camera, and unfortunately using it meant forgetting about some other great vintage lenses.
So when I got more and more curious about Rokkor, X-Fujinon and Hexanon AR lenses, I realized that I needed a Sony mirrorless camera to get a chance to try all those optics that I had always kept at the periphery of my photographic interests.
Recently I bought an old A7II in good conditions, and now I'm all taken trying the few non-M42, non-PK lenses I already own, and the few I have acquired in the meantime.
Now it's the turn of an old Minolta lens: it's the Auto Rokkor-PF 1:1.4 f=58mm.
I would have preferred a nice MC Rokkor first version, and I ended up participating in the auction for the Auto Rokkor because it was described as "MC"... in the sense of multicoated (which in fact it is). When I realized that in reality it was an "Auto Rokkor" I decided to bid low and see.
I ended up winning it, but I still want to buy an MC with the metal focusing ring in the future, if I ever find one in decent conditions for a low price.
Most of those with a decent price have a glowing description, but the images show poor optics with scratches and/or fungus. Even from Japanese vendors, whicht were quite reliable some time ago.
I will continue to try... which means that sooner or later I will find one, and I will have the chance to test the AUTO vs the MC version. BTW, I'm curious if anybody already did the comparison. The two lenses seem to have a different rendering.
Here is the Rokkor Auto, most of the little dots are just made of dust on the outside, but a couple are inside (it shouldn't affect the picture, so if I don't see fungus on the back group I won't open the lens):

Minolta Auto Rokkor-PF 1:1.4 f=58mm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor DualFocal 3.5-3.8/28-35mm Reply with quote

About 85% of unserviced examples of the MC version have slow blades from oil migration, and in many of those, the oil has migrated onto lens surfaces as well.

If you don't do your own servicing, my advice is to shell out the money and buy a known good one rather than screwing around with auctions. $100-$150 is a reasonable price for a nice excellent condition example.

cyberjunkie wrote:

Now it's the turn of an old Minolta lens: it's the Auto Rokkor-PF 1:1.4 f=58mm.
I would have preferred a nice MC Rokkor first version, and I ended up participating in the auction for the Auto Rokkor because it was described as "MC"... in the sense of multicoated (which in fact it is). When I realized that in reality it was an "Auto Rokkor" I decided to bid low and see.
I ended up winning it, but I still want to buy an MC with the metal focusing ring in the future, if I ever find one in decent conditions for a low price.
Most of those with a decent price have a glowing description, but the images show poor optics with scratches and/or fungus. Even from Japanese vendors, whicht were quite reliable some time ago.
I will continue to try... which means that sooner or later I will find one, and I will have the chance to test the AUTO vs the MC version. BTW, I'm curious if anybody already did the comparison. The two lenses seem to have a different rendering.
Here is the Rokkor Auto, most of the little dots are just made of dust on the outside, but a couple are inside (it shouldn't affect the picture, so if I don't see fungus on the back group I won't open the lens):

Minolta Auto Rokkor-PF 1:1.4 f=58mm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ Pancolar 50mm f2 Zebra/"Starwars" version

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor DualFocal 3.5-3.8/28-35mm Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
About 85% of unserviced examples of the MC version have slow blades from oil migration, and in many of those, the oil has migrated onto lens surfaces as well.

If you don't do your own servicing, my advice is to shell out the money and buy a known good one rather than screwing around with auctions. $100-$150 is a reasonable price for a nice excellent condition example.

I would agree with this advice. Also beware that some of these AUTO ROKKOR and early generation MC lenses may use a very soft coating on one of the internal lens surfaces. They are usually recognisable by their bright, pale green residual reflection. Fortunately I have never come across this soft-coated surface on any of the exterior element surfaces of an optical cell, so the casual user and DIY enthusiast is unlikely to damage it unless they open up a cell in order to clean the individual elements.

There are also hard-coated surfaces with a pale green reflection in Minolta AUTO ROKKOR and MC ROKKOR lenses, so a lens surface with a bright, pale green residual reflection simply means beware that it may be a soft coating. Those soft coatings should never be touched. I have only ever had success cleaning these soft coated surfaces by gently rinsing them with isopropyl alcohol, and strictly only handling the element by the edges. The slightest touch on the soft coating itself will leave significant scratches.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor DualFocal 3.5-3.8/28-35mm Reply with quote

Good advice from your end, too!

There are a few other Minolta lenses with similarly soft coatings - I can think of the 50mm MC macros off the top of my head, but there are others I've come across, too. Definitely a more common phenomenon among Minolta lenses of that era than other OEMs. Some third party manufacturers use similar coatings - the Vivitar-Kiron 28mm f/2.5 and the famed "Bokina" 90mm macro both also have soft coatings on the surfaces adjacent the aperture blades.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

I would agree with this advice. Also beware that some of these AUTO ROKKOR and early generation MC lenses may use a very soft coating on one of the internal lens surfaces. They are usually recognisable by their bright, pale green residual reflection. Fortunately I have never come across this soft-coated surface on any of the exterior element surfaces of an optical cell, so the casual user and DIY enthusiast is unlikely to damage it unless they open up a cell in order to clean the individual elements.

There are also hard-coated surfaces with a pale green reflection in Minolta AUTO ROKKOR and MC ROKKOR lenses, so a lens surface with a bright, pale green residual reflection simply means beware that it may be a soft coating. Those soft coatings should never be touched. I have only ever had success cleaning these soft coated surfaces by gently rinsing them with isopropyl alcohol, and strictly only handling the element by the edges. The slightest touch on the soft coating itself will leave significant scratches.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:
CZJ Pancolar 50mm f2 Zebra/"Starwars" version

That's a beautiful piece of history - congratulations and enjoy it!

S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor DualFocal 3.5-3.8/28-35mm Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

There are a few other Minolta lenses with similarly soft coatings - I can think of the 50mm MC macros off the top of my head, but there are others I've come across, too. Definitely a more common phenomenon among Minolta lenses of that era than other OEMs. Some third party manufacturers use similar coatings - the Vivitar-Kiron 28mm f/2.5 and the famed "Bokina" 90mm macro both also have soft coatings on the surfaces adjacent the

I guess that applies to the Vivitar 90mm 2.5 macro and not to the later Tokina branded 90mm 2.5 macro, the 'Bokina'.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokyo Kogaku Topcor-S 2/5cm
😊

Last edited by Mir on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Tokyo Kogaku Topcor-S 2/5cm

😊

Cool, almost bought one. Curious about your findings.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise from delivery guys today Smile got the Pancolar 50mm f2. First impressions - definitely needs CLA (both aperture and focusing are very stiff, almost stuck) but I couldn't resist testing although it felt I would tear the mount apart Smile great colors, great bokeh, great sharpness

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:
Surprise from delivery guys today Smile got the Pancolar 50mm f2. First impressions - definitely needs CLA (both aperture and focusing are very stiff, almost stuck) but I couldn't resist testing although it felt I would tear the mount apart Smile great colors, great bokeh, great sharpness

It's such a cool design. Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Jena and Meyer lenses from that period have 'tight' apertures, I'm not sure if it's the material or design or both. I had the same problem with an F2 pancolar recently, but managed to get the aperture to work correctly with graphite dry lubricant. In this case I used a pencil and drew on the blades, leaving a small amount of graphite on them, then worked the blades. It took several applications until the graphite was evenly distributed. You can buy small amounts of very fine grained graphite in a dispenser, I did not have mine at hand.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much info out there about this lens (mine is Nikon F mount). As far as I can tell, it's been through three iterations, although there's nothing on the packaging or the lens itself to indicate this.

The first version was supposedly a rather poor performer. The second was considered a substantial improvement. This is the third version, and I must say it's quite good - sharp wide open (at least where it counts), with very nice, smooth bokeh of the ZY Optics variety.

On my GFX it's got a little more vignetting than I'd like, but still it's perfectly usable, particularly for portraits. I think it would be an excellent option for full frame.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

Not much info out there about this lens (mine is Nikon F mount). As far as I can tell, it's been through three iterations, although there's nothing on the packaging or the lens itself to indicate this.

The first version was supposedly a rather poor performer. The second was considered a substantial improvement. This is the third version, and I must say it's quite good - sharp wide open (at least where it counts), with very nice, smooth bokeh of the ZY Optics variety.

On my GFX it's got a little more vignetting than I'd like, but still it's perfectly usable, particularly for portraits. I think it would be an excellent option for full frame.

Please show some results soon!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Please show some results soon!

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor DualFocal 3.5-3.8/28-35mm Reply with quote

Both, actually.

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

There are a few other Minolta lenses with similarly soft coatings - I can think of the 50mm MC macros off the top of my head, but there are others I've come across, too. Definitely a more common phenomenon among Minolta lenses of that era than other OEMs. Some third party manufacturers use similar coatings - the Vivitar-Kiron 28mm f/2.5 and the famed "Bokina" 90mm macro both also have soft coatings on the surfaces adjacent the

I guess that applies to the Vivitar 90mm 2.5 macro and not to the later Tokina branded 90mm 2.5 macro, the 'Bokina'.