Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the 'bay, as you do, for no other reason than to just look - and there it was, a Fuji 55mm f/1.8 EBC ending in 3 minutes for only £20. So I got it, I was the only bidder, and should be here next weekend! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other week my father gave me a box of old cameras and lenses. Turns out two of them are so old they used to belong to my grandfather! Sadly, they've all sat in an open box in a garage and storage for 15-20 years now, so all of the lenses were all terribly filthy. Not just some basic dust you can remove by blowing on them.

Does anyone know anything about this specific "Edixa Curtagon"? It takes reasonably acceptable pictures after I carefully cleaned it with water and qtips and it immediately gave me much clearer results.

I also got this lovely Carl Zeizz Jena Biotar 58/2

From what I understand, the Ziess is pretty mechanically complex, but it's REALLY hazy/milky on the inside and is in BAD need of cleaning.

EDIT: The links just don't work for me, so you'll have to copy paste, not a clue why.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holiace wrote:

EDIT: The links just don't work for me, so you'll have to copy paste, not a clue why.

Welcome!
That is due to an anti-spam measure. Images only show up on your second post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holiace wrote:
The other week my father gave me a box of old cameras and lenses. Turns out two of them are so old they used to belong to my grandfather! Sadly, they've all sat in an open box in a garage and storage for 15-20 years now, so all of the lenses were all terribly filthy. Not just some basic dust you can remove by blowing on them.

i.imgur.com/akHomTF.jpg

i.imgur.com/A0Aatc4.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this specific "Edixa Curtagon"? It takes reasonably acceptable pictures after I carefully cleaned it with water and qtips and it immediately gave me much clearer results.

I also got this lovely Carl Zeizz Jena Biotar 58/2

i.imgur.com/nuCS4kv.jpg

i.imgur.com/r1SQDFz.jpg

From what I understand, the Ziess is pretty mechanically complex, but it's REALLY hazy/milky on the inside and is in BAD need of cleaning.

Some fine lenses there.
have fun with them
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holiace wrote:

Welcome to the forum. You'll be able to post images now that you've entered your first post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Holiace wrote:

Welcome to the forum. You'll be able to post images now that you've entered your first post.

Thank you! Yea it threw me for a loop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax-A 4/28-135mm. A beautiful large (77mm filter) and well built beast with 17 lenses.
Optically not on par with the Minolta AF 4-4.5/28-135mm, however: The Minolta is distincively better, especially in the 35-100mm range.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

I've long been curious about the Tamron SP 28-135/4-4.5's performance. Like the Pentax, it too has 17 elements (in 10 groups), albeit with a 67mm front filter size. With a variable aperture of f/4-4.5, it's practically a constant aperture zoom.

http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/28A.html

I don't suppose you've had an opportunity to compare your Pentax or Minolta zoom with the Tamron 28A, have you?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lates batch of Minolta MD lenses I got:

1. 50/2 MD-III, with a hint of fungus and damaged filter thread, will be replaced with a good one some day
Minolta MD 50mm/2.0 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

2. 35/2.8 MD-III, it's excellent
Minolta MD 35mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

3. 50/1.7 MD-II, standard
Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm/1.7 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

4. 35/1.8 MD-II, expensive but no regrets
Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/1.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

5. 75-150/4.0, surprisingly good
Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm/4.0 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

6. 50-135/3.5, not yet tested
Minolta MD Zoom Rokkor 50-135mm/3.5 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

7. 70-210/4, a bit disapointing
Minolta MD Zoom 70-210mm/4.0 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
6. 50-135/3.5, not yet tested

I'm afraid that one will also disappoint you a bit...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
I'm afraid that one will also disappoint you a bit...

Doesn't matter. It looks good on its spot in the collection and that's the only important function it has to perform. It's not like I'm going to use all these lenses to make anything meaningful anyway. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holiace wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Holiace wrote:

Thank you! Yea it threw me for a loop.

Welcome here!

I edited your post, you can't just copy images links in here: a) the "http://" was missing, b) you have to embed them into propoer html code by using the IMG button above (highlight the whole line, them press that button, done!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hey Steve,

I've long been curious about the Tamron SP 28-135/4-4.5's performance. Like the Pentax, it too has 17 elements (in 10 groups), albeit with a 67mm front filter size. With a variable aperture of f/4-4.5, it's practically a constant aperture zoom.

http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/28A.html

I don't suppose you've had an opportunity to compare your Pentax or Minolta zoom with the Tamron 28A, have you?

No, i haven't.
For some reasons, the Tamron brand at that time was nor really popular in Switzerland, and therefore even today you won't find them - apart from the very common ones such as the SP 3.5/70-210.
The only other 28-135mm i have is the Konica Hexanon AR 4-4.6/28-135mm, a very complex design, but also inferior to the Minolta AF. The Konica seems to have been constructed in cooperation with Tokina; the corresponding Tokina 4-4.6/28-135mm has the same outer appearance.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few...

Ultra Achromatic Takumar 85mm set
ISCO Cinelux Ultra MC 100 mm
Schneider Apo Digitar 80mm
Kodak Printing Ektar 89mm
Apo EL Nikkor 105mm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Canon nFD 50/1.4 in the mail today:

Two more are coming soon (nFD 300/5.6 & nFD 35/2).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon Ais 50/1.2

shot with my favorite Mikro-Nikkor-P.C 55/3.5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a lens, but it is a camera that I have often admired.
The next logical step for me from my FTb and EF.
Not sure whether my big hands will like it, but I am looking forward to using it when it comes.
I can't work out why there is so little interest in this camera in the marketplace ..........
OH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

I can't work out why there is so little interest in this camera in the marketplace

Might just be 'cause It's not very pretty ! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem with the A-1 is that like the other Canons of this lineage (AE-1, etc.) It is an all electronic camera with a shutter thats known to suffer from old age problems. Its a sturdy semi- pro body but its not a Nikon FM.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an A-1 body at one of the local GoodWill stores by me... It was pretty beat up. Kind of sad. This particular store has a massive shelf of SLR stuff and lenses and it all gets just slammed around. Most of the lenses are missing at least one cap and are quite beat. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mail today was a Zeika Nominar 1 1/2" 38mm f1.4 Cine D mount lens. It's a real beauty.
I will use this lens on my Pentax Q10.
I'm pretty happy to find this nice of one for $20.

The lens has 12 blades. Its interesting to note that the Zunow 1 1/2" 38mm f1.4 lenses have 10 blades.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Hey Steve,

No, i haven't.
For some reasons, the Tamron brand at that time was nor really popular in Switzerland, and therefore even today you won't find them - apart from the very common ones such as the SP 3.5/70-210.
The only other 28-135mm i have is the Konica Hexanon AR 4-4.6/28-135mm, a very complex design, but also inferior to the Minolta AF. The Konica seems to have been constructed in cooperation with Tokina; the corresponding Tokina 4-4.6/28-135mm has the same outer appearance.

Stephan

Thanks for your response. Well, I'm not at all familiar with the Konica or Tokina. In fact, I'm not familiar with any 28-135 zooms. But after I finished my above post, I jumped over to eBay and had a look around. Found a number of the Tamrons, one that was very clean at an attractive price, so I bought it. It should be here to tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Oldhand wrote:
Not exactly a lens, but it is a camera that I have often admired.
The next logical step for me from my FTb and EF.
Not sure whether my big hands will like it, but I am looking forward to using it when it comes.
I can't work out why there is so little interest in this camera in the marketplace ..........
OH

I own an A-1 and I've owned as many as four at the same time -- it was just a coincidence, I hadn't planned on it happening. The A-1 was my second "real" camera, and I can recall after I bought it that, because it was so overdone with electronics and all that tit was probably a camera that wouldn't withstand the test of time. Boy was I ever wrong! The A-1 has proved its mettle over the years. Lots of pros have ended up using it, in fact, mostly because of its reliability, I suspect. As for the shutter "problems" -- what, it needs a drop of oil on a gear train every 20 or 30 years. So what?

OH, I hope you have lots of fun with yours. Since you're an EF user, think its metering pattern when you use the A-1, and not the FTb's and you'll be okay. It has a similar bottom-centerweighted pattern as the EF's. But you know, given you like the bigger Canons, I would have thought your next move would have been to an original F-1. It's the next logical step. Although you can't find 'em for as cheap as the others.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Canon nFD 300/5.6 (50€ incl. shipping) on Stephan's recommendation:

Sharp little thing, that...