Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to do with a Speed Graphic in a digital world ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: What to do with a Speed Graphic in a digital world ? Reply with quote

Among my many "white elephants" are press and view/field cameras, including Speed Graphics and Meridians. I refuse to do any more home development or printing. This is just one interest among many, and life is too short.

I will not sell the cameras and lenses though, as they are heirlooms from my father in law, who was a student of Ansel Adams - literally, he took lessons from Adams in San Francisco back in the 1940's, won awards and had his pictures printed in the photo magazines of the day.

This is one of his cameras -

I wondered how these, and their fine lenses, would do in a digital world. So I made a "digital back" for it.

This is not a very practical idea, its just for fun.

This is the Ektar 152mm - the bellows extension makes the combination a good (but heavy !) macro rig.

Zeiss Biotessar 16.5cm at f 2.8 - a rather rare lens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful idea to put a digiback on it to see what it can do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Just Cool! You made my day ! Excellent idea!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool macro rig. Did you know that it's also possible to adapt normal cheap flatbed scnners for use as "digital backs" You, of course, have to use very long exposures so that the scanner has enough time to scan the projected image, but it's cheaper (and more fun) than a "real" large format digital back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely to see these things used still.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!! I had one of these a few years back when I was a photo student. I loved the images they produced. You answered the question I had in my mind. Now that I have seen it done, I will have to do some tinkering in my workshop Very Happy
My wife thinks I am nuts and having an affair with this forum Rolling Eyes

I LOVE THIS SITE Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjkerpan wrote:
Very cool macro rig. Did you know that it's also possible to adapt normal cheap flatbed scnners for use as "digital backs" You, of course, have to use very long exposures so that the scanner has enough time to scan the projected image, but it's cheaper (and more fun) than a "real" large format digital back.

Wow, an MF digital back for the price of an old bicycle rather than a car Idea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
mjkerpan wrote:

Wow, an MF digital back for the price of an old bicycle rather than a car Idea

How sad, all the instructions and stuff that were posted when this first hit slashdot a few years ago seem to have vanished into the internet past... Still, SOMEONE must still know how to do this, though the 15 minute exposures needed for TRUE highres results could get to be a pain...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjkerpan wrote:

mjkerpan, I would love to have you elaborate on this! I don't quite "get it" how you would do this, and I am interested in understanding what you mean and how it could work. Cool

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Larry:

Try this experiment to get an idea; lift the lid on your flatbed, look down at the glass plate and hit the scan button.

When it's done scanning, you should see a portrait of your face.

Sounds daft, but it does actually work, and it does it without any lenses although the image isn't too great.