Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lenses do you take with you?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show pictures from your work ? Taken with above sets ?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are what I carry with a LowePro side bag, Rolleiflex TLR system

Tele-Rolleiflex with Sonnar 1:4 f=135mm
Rolleiflex 2.8F with Planar 1:2.8 f=80mm
Rolleiflex-Wide with Distagon 1:4 f=55mm

Set of Rolleiflex Series III filters (Yellow, UV, Rolleisoft I, B1, B2, R1, R1.5, and R2)
Rolleiflex Series III sunshade for 2.8F and Tele-Rolleflex
Rolleiflex Series IV sunshade for Rolleiflex-Wide

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Is there anything in the photographic world that you don't have?? Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Can you show pictures from your work ? Taken with above sets ?

Taken with Micro-Trekker set...

Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/35-70

Super-Elmar-R 1:3.5/15

Apo-Makro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/100

Vario-Elmar-R 1:3.5-4/21-35

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!! Lovely captures , especially #1 one. Please publish many as you can taken with your rare gears in Gallery. Many thanks in advance!!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoebahydra wrote:

wow! those pics are even nicer than the tools!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
amoebahydra wrote:

wow! those pics are even nicer than the tools!

Indeed! And this is hard to achive when we talk about tools like those! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are what I carry with a classic Zeiss Ikon bag...Contax rangefinder

Contax IIIa

Sonnar 1:1.5 f=5cm
Planar 1:3.5 f=3.5cm
Sonnar 1:2 f=8.5cm

Zeiss Ikon 40.5 and 49 filters
Zeiss Ikon 440 multiple viewfinder
Zeiss Ikon 432/5 f=3.5cm viewfinder

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the shot with the girl. Nice composition.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Sunday, I was out model shooting (with a group of 20 odd photographers), and I bought along Flek 35, Pentagon 50, Minolta 20 (AF - no), Minolta/Sony 135 STF, and Sony 18-200 (AF). Ended up only using Flek less than 5 shots, Minolta 20 (never used), Sony 18-200 (maybe a handful of time).

I am still not out of 'my condition' yet. I shot mostly with MF - Pentagon 50 and 135 STF. Very difficult for me to compete (focus) with the rest though I already have a split screen installed. I spent at least 90% of the time focusing (and checking if the photos are focused). Did not have too much time left to worry about the rest.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourist / travel kit is I think something that combines:
1 price (if someone happens to steal them or you drop them to sea)
2 compact size
3 quality (not the best possible but adequate)
4 the main idea of touristic photography: the task of taking such photos that represent the tour itself, the feelings, the sights etc - not your winter time hobby / profession
5 ease of use (no, I don't want to take a TLR on my vacation)

Thinking of these, I think this is going to be my next travel kit:

All fit in a small bag and still room for phone and sunglasses.

Mir is for general use and small landscapes. Tamron is for details and faraway objects. JVC is mostly in use because I want to see my holiday on TV much more than on computer. Also panoramas are really better that wide stills.

And the whole kit is not very expensive ..

EDIT: and can't live a day without a bounce too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amoebahydra,

What is the refs of that blue bag on the picture?

Very nice Rollei equipment btw

Gr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to just take my Fuji S7000 and no lenses mostly, but lately since I started shooting analog it's usually my 50MM, 100MM and a zoom lens. Mostly the 100MM stays on the camera unless I'm shooting far away for some reason. I rarely use the 50MM actually but since it takes hardly any space I usually take it along anyway for the odd situation where either the 100MM or a zoom seems not to work too well.

I like zooms a lot actually for on the go. Given a choice, for serious travel, I'd probably take a small zoom say a 35-75MM and a longer zoom 75-300MM and leave it at that. Maybe a less important portrait lens than my Takumar 100MM. I do like the option of the portrait lens but I wouldn't want to risk that one on the streets of an unfamiliar city as that's my "best" lens and it would be a real b- for me to replace that one.

(I'm rather protective of my few Takumars, grin.)

My new Yashica FRI came with a couple of nice zooms from what I've read. They're both in the ranges I like so likely I'll start taking the Yashica for day trips instead of the Pentax if it turns out that SLR is up to the work. I don't like using Queenie (Pentax SPII) too far from home anyway. If I lost the Yashica I'd be ticked, but I'd get over it. If I lost Queenie I'd be really upset.

I'm kind of torn about traveling overseas with a favorite camera actually. On one hand I'd want the ability to really take some great pics, but on the other I'd hate to have my best camera stolen too. I'd definitely go for the travel insurance and make it difficult sure, but still, what happened to Hari, the idea of that just devastates me. The very thought of finally getting a DSLR only to lose it, oh OUCH...

The very idea makes me want to take only a camera and lenses that I can absolutely afford to lose...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm just the opposite. When I travel, I will tend to take my best gear along -- well, within reason at least. I'll take my best zooms and a small assortment of my best primes. And one or two of my favorite bodies.

And then, when I'm "on location" I watch my gear like a hawk. So far, I haven't even come close to getting my camera gear ripped off. Can't say that about a few other items, but at least camera gear I've been able to keep safe. Now I suppose if I were going into a known dangerous or hazardous area, I probably wouldn't take my best stuff and would instead take disposable stuff that could be replaced easily -- either P&S cameras or cheap digicams. And chances are, the ne'er-do-wells would leave me alone since my gear would appear to have no value. Ironic, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I guess I'm just the opposite. When I travel, I will tend to take my best gear along -- well, within reason at least. I'll take my best zooms and a small assortment of my best primes. And one or two of my favorite bodies.
And then, when I'm "on location" I watch my gear like a hawk.

On all types of travel?
Because, I do the same as you while on photographic travel. That is, when my goal for traveling is to photograph. Then I do as you describe.
But I would become nuts if I had to do the same while on vacation. I can not be on vacation and at the same time watch my gear like a hawk. That would not be vacation anymore for me. And besides Monica would kill me. So while I'm on vacation I take with me items that are 1) lightweight 2) small sized and 3) that I consider (within reason) expendable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
And then, when I'm "on location" I watch my gear like a hawk.

On all types of travel?
Because, I do the same as you while on photographic travel. That is, when my goal for traveling is to photograph. Then I do as you describe.
But I would become nuts if I had to do the same while on vacation. I can not be on vacation and at the same time watch my gear like a hawk. That would not be vacation anymore for me. And besides Monica would kill me. So while I'm on vacation I take with me items that are 1) lightweight 2) small sized and 3) that I consider (within reason) expendable.

I guess my vacations are different from yours, Orio. My most memorable vacations are remembered by the quality of photos I took. Heh, my wife is used to my lugging around gear, even to the point of my stuffing a tripod inside my large luggage. Besides, I would pare things down so they would all fit in one of my medium-sized camera bags, and to me a medium-sized camera bag is really not an issue. That's enough to hold two SLRs, three or four primes and a couple of zooms. Too much for you? Not for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FL 55mm f1.2 (stolen)

Or:

Helios 44-2

Or:
Industar 50-2

Or:
Panagor 28mm f2
Nikkor 55mm f1.2
Nikkor 105mm f1.8
CZ Sonnar 135mm f2.8

Really depends on my mood.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My usual 'trio' is:

wide angle 4/18
1.4/35
zoom 4/80-200

But one wide angle lens must be as essential.

tf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses I always have with me:

Carl Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8
Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4

Plus I keep my Cokin P holder and ND grad with me.

For holidays I also take:

Tamron SP 17/3.5
Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4
Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4
MC Rubinar 300/4.5
Kenko 300 DGX Pro 1.4x teleconverter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I have an EOS 1000D with Jupiter 9 85/2.0, an Canon FD 50/1.4 DIY Tilt lens and an Olympus 28/2.8 with me. I do not see special photo opportunities today, it is a normal working day. This tings I packed only for the change that the sun is shining very pretty on my 20 minutes walk from underground to office. Or some rain and good photo opportunities on the 20 minutes on the way back.

When I plan to go out for photography, without special ideas of what I will capture, mostly an EOS 5D, the Samyang 14/2,8, Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 and a longer lens are with me.
The longer lens could be the Canon FD 300/2.8, or a Canon FD Macro 100/4. Or Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8, Porst 135/1.8...
Often I take the Olympus Zuiko 28/2,8 or a Kiron 28/2.0 with me, or probably somthing 24/2.8 I think from Sigma at the moment.
If the wheter is good, blue sky with clouds, I take additional the EOS 350D with exchangable filters with me http://4photos.de/camera-diy/exchangeable-filter-dslr.html Smile
Then one of my DIY tilt lenses are packed in the bag additional.

I measure holiday ~like cooltouch does: Good pictures = good holiday Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally in my Ameribag with my K20D are:

Pentax DA10-17 or Zenitar 16/2.8
Pentax DA18-250
Vivitar-Kiron 24/2
Pentax F35-75
Pentax FA50/1.4 or Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4
Pentax Macro-Takumar 50/4 (1:1)
Nikkor 85/2

That is my general-purpose kit for working in varied conditions. I'll also have my "lens of the day", which in recent days is an Exakta-mount CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 with 12 iris blades. Various other Pentax Takumars are also exercised regularly.

I'm on a brief excursion now and have a couple extras nearby:

Schneider Betavaron 50-125 enlarger zoom on 30mm extension
Kenko 180 Fish-Eye adaptor (to use on the F35-70)
Sakar 500/8 mirror

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update from my side...

I have different "sets" at the moment.

1. The very small bag:
- Leica Digilux 2.

2. The small (waist) bag:
- 1 DSLR
- 3 or 4 lenses

3. The medium size (shoulder) bag:
- 2 DSLR bodies
- about 6 lenses
- film rangefinder

4. The big bag (rucksack):
- 2 or 3 DSLR bodies
- about 10 lenses (sometimes more)
- 1 or 2 film cams

5. The monster bag (trolley):
- 4 DSLR bodies
- about 20 lenses
- some film cams

6. The "heavy duty"* bag:
- EOS 300D-MF
- Tokina 4/28-85 or Vivitar S1 28-105
- 70/80-200 zoom
- 2 "cheap" primes

* If I go somewhere where I expect to be rain, snow etc...

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very late to this but- Amoebahydra, dearest Amoebahydra, your Hassy kit blows my mind! Your Rollei SL-66E kit blows my mind! Your Rollei TLR kit makes me roll around on the floor and bark like a dog!

Please kind Amoebahydra, move to Portland, next door to me and be my best friend! Please! I will bring you cappuccino to your door first thing every morning.

Not sure I'll ever have the chance to use most of this fine equipment. Sniffle.

When I shoot professionally, I simply bring a DSLR (Canon 60D soon), one back-up body, a Canon 50/1.4, 85/1.8. If I need wide, I rent a Canon 17-40L. If the client has room for me to shoot film and be more creative than usual, I bring my Rollei SL-66 with the humble, yet wonderful Planar 80/2.8.

I just bought a Hasselblad 500cm, 100/3.5 Planar and 120/5.6 S-Planar.

When I go on hikes, shooting for myself: Medium format: the above SL-66, or sometimes Rolleiflex 2.8C. 35mm: Canon 30D, only manual focus lenses which I vary. I don't own anything too exotic. My stand-bys are the Nikkor Micros's 55 and 105/2.8's, PK-13 extension tube, reversing ring.

Amoebahydra, I'm going to bake you a cake in anticipation of your arrival!
I can't wait!

Oh, by the way, when you're out of town with your Hasselblad gear, would it be OK if I took your Rolleiwide out for a stroll? I promise to wear white gloves!
Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
I'm very late to this but- Amoebahydra, dearest Amoebahydra, your Hassy kit blows my mind! Your Rollei SL-66E kit blows my mind! Your Rollei TLR kit makes me roll around on the floor and bark like a dog!

Please kind Amoebahydra, move to Portland, next door to me and be my best friend! Please! I will bring you cappuccino to your door first thing every morning.

Not sure I'll ever have the chance to use most of this fine equipment. Sniffle.

When I shoot professionally, I simply bring a DSLR (Canon 60D soon), one back-up body, a Canon 50/1.4, 85/1.8. If I need wide, I rent a Canon 17-40L. If the client has room for me to shoot film and be more creative than usual, I bring my Rollei SL-66 with the humble, yet wonderful Planar 80/2.8.

I just bought a Hasselblad 500cm, 100/3.5 Planar and 120/5.6 S-Planar.

When I go on hikes, shooting for myself: Medium format: the above SL-66, or sometimes Rolleiflex 2.8C. 35mm: Canon 30D, only manual focus lenses which I vary. I don't own anything too exotic. My stand-bys are the Nikkor Micros's 55 and 105/2.8's, PK-13 extension tube, reversing ring.

Amoebahydra, I'm going to bake you a cake in anticipation of your arrival!
I can't wait!

Oh, by the way, when you're out of town with your Hasselblad gear, would it be OK if I took your Rolleiwide out for a stroll? I promise to wear white gloves!
Laughing

Laughing Welcome at Budapest too as a gear lending friend Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: More lenses means a different list. And more indecision, like how many bags and what is in each and when.

For driving around locally, with no expectations or plans, it's mostly the AF kit:

* Tamron 10-24
* Pentax DA10-17, DA18-250, F35-70, FA50/1.4
* Lil'Bigma 170-500

For walkabouts in villages, and/or indoors, some members of the fast MF kit:

* Zenitar 16/2.8 (PK)
* Vivitar 24/2 (PK), 28/2 WA-CF (NI)
* Nikkor 35/2, 85/2 (NI)
* Pentax Tak-B 135/2.5 (PK)

For bright outdoors, whether streets or countryside, some of the slow MF kit:

* Tokina 21/3.8 (M42)
* Takumar 50/4 macro, 200/5.6 (M42)
* Schneider Betavaron 50-125, on 30mm tubes
* Novoflex Noflexar 105/3.5; Ilex Solar 140/4.5; on bellows
* Sakar 500/8 mirror (PK)

And one or two members of The Lens-Of-The-Day Club -- maybe some slow Exakta-mount Meyer glass, or whatever I have just grabbed or chopped. Today, that is a Kodak Projection Ektagraphic FF 100-150/3.5 on bellows, which is rather amazing. Made by Schneider, I think.

I will leave for a long trip in 7 weeks -- 3 months or so, wandering around the USA Southwest again. Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada. My bags will probably contain 25-30 lenses, including many of the above, and whatever else jumps out at me. The carry-kit continually evolves.

Last edited by RioRico on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total