Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is that?? Fungus? Cleaning marks?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: What is that?? Fungus? Cleaning marks? Reply with quote

I got a pancolar and at some point noticed this all around the perimeter (center seams clear):

It is only visible at certain angles and light. There is also something on the rear element (with some color hues) which I couldn't quite make visible in a photograph.

Is this fungus? Cleaning marks? Do you think it will affect IQ?

Sorry for panicking...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
On your picture, it's looks like more cleaning marks than fungus.
Make some test and you will probably quickly see if it's affect the results/contrast on your pictures Wink ..
But did you try to clean it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks indeed like cleaning marks to me! Is this on the front of the front element, or behind it on an inner glass surface?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Looks indeed like cleaning marks to me! Is this on the front of the front element, or behind it on an inner glass surface?

Me too, certainly not fungus. It actually looks like dried residue of whatever fluid was used last, so I would expect it to disappear if the lens is cleaned properly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Me too, certainly not fungus. It actually looks like dried residue of whatever fluid was used last, so I would expect it to disappear if the lens is cleaned properly.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color hues on the rear element might also be due to a liquid used to clean the element evaporating. The best way to remove them (at least in my experience) is to get some pure acetone from a paint store, then lightly dip a q-tip in it and quickly wipe it on the glass. It will evaporate almost instantly without leaving any marks. If the marks on the front lens are cleaning residues, it will work great for them too.

Be careful of two things though, as acetone is a nasty chemical: a) it's toxic and extremely flammable, and since it evaporates almost instantly you might have a fire even with a flame not that near to it; and b) it dissolves plastic and paint, so go carefully around the perimeter of the lens so as not to damage the lens barrel, rings etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reassuring me.
I haven't touched it yet. I'll get some q-tips and try.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently fixed oily aperture assy on a rokkor 58/1.4 and upon rebuilding it I cleaned all the elements the same way (rocket blower, micro-fiber cloth with my breath). I don't know why the front element behaved this way but the inside of the front element became severely "cleaning marks" marked...almost like streaky oil marks that won't come off. Should I try this acetone method?

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
I don't know why the front element behaved this way but the inside of the front element became severely "cleaning marks" marked...almost like streaky oil marks that won't come off. Should I try this acetone method?

I think they're just marks left by the humidity in your breath evaporating. I'd use pure acetone: get it from a paint store, so it's pure and not mixed with other substances.

What I do is use q-tips: I dip one in acetone, then quickly pass it on the lens with a very light pressure, almost like a feather touch. As the q-tip dries, look for smears on the lens and clean them, then change to a fresh q-tip and dip it again, repeating the procedure until the glass is clean. It helps working under a light and angling the lens so that you can clearly see the smudges on the lens coating.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll give that a try. I don't think it was my breath issue because I cleaned all the other elements the same way. It may actually be oil but not sure.

I also have lint free 4"X4" pec pads that are used to clean DSLR sensors...absorbent, soft, and lint free that I may be able to use too.

-Roy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the acetone didn't work. I don't know how and then hell I mucked up this element. I used micro-fiber cloth and breath at first and then I used a pec-pad (again these are probably better than micro-fiber) and Eclipse fluid aka methanol...maybe this did it. There are scratch-like-oily streaks that are now seemingly permanent. Ugggggg!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
Well the acetone didn't work. I don't know how and then hell I mucked up this element. I used micro-fiber cloth and breath at first and then I used a pec-pad (again these are probably better than micro-fiber) and Eclipse fluid aka methanol...maybe this did it. There are scratch-like-oily streaks that are now seemingly permanent. Ugggggg!

Very strange. What kind of acetone did you use?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acetone from our local Home Depot's paint department 1qt. The can says ACETONE. Is methanol bad to use because I used that too.

-Roy

Last edited by motleypixel on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I believe it may well be the result of a fungal attack some time ago.
Marks caused by fungus often follow streaks or wipe-marks left by a previous cleaning. Those interrupted streaks are characteristic.
I have an apo-ronar 480 here awaiting repolishing which has very similar markings.