Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What film still can do
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: What film still can do Reply with quote

Hold on tight because I don't know if you will believe what you will see. Heck, I too have trouble believing it!

I have "rescanned" with the 5D one of the photos from my Garda tour, that I had already posted. The picture is made with the Contax G2, Planar 2/35 and Fuji Provia 100:

As you can see, the "scan" is visibly better even in the resize.

I will now show you some 100% crops from the scan. I did not sharpen them and I did not remove any noise from them. This is exactly what the camera captured with default sharpness (and default everything) and noise reduction off:

After having seen these, I first asked myself:
"and where's the grain?"

Then, I have decided a few things:

1) I will never, ever sell any of my Contax G equipment
2) As soon as I end my available stocks, I will only buy Provia slide film
3) The EOS 5D is the most amazing slide scanner that I ever saw.

I will link to this thread in the Rangefinder section also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that 2/35 is something else.
The G series prices are about to climb Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar 35 should better not raise anymore, because it's already rare to find Shocked

(hm perhaps I should erase these pictures!) Laughing

If in the meantime you can find the grain that I've lost, please mail it back to me Shocked Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results are mindboggling! Shocked

(I'm going to go look at some Holga galleries to recalibrate) Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results...
Orio how do you use your 5d as a scanner?
I would love to know the set up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Results are mindboggling! Shocked
(I'm going to go look at some Holga galleries to recalibrate) Laughing

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
Great results...
Orio how do you use your 5d as a scanner?
I would love to know the set up.

I have an old Pentax bellows that I attach to the 5D using a M42 adapter (one with the FA chip, that helps a lot with setting the focus correctly). On the other end, I put an Industar-61 and, always on the same trail, another small bellows that connects the front of the Industar lens to a slide holder.
It was tricky to find the right distances, and you have to calibrate two bellows and the focus of one lens, but the good part is that once you have found the correct setting, you don't need to refocus anymore, you can just switch slides and fire away.
I shoot in RAW, because of the control you have afterwards on the contrast and exposure, this is a crucial point that makes a big difference. Usually by use of the contrast amount in the Canon DPP or Breezebrowser, I can handle all the dynamic range of the slide, much better than if I used a scanner.
I found that setting a correct dynamic range is very importantof or the quality of the reproduction, so I always expose on the right, and decontrast a little later, if necessary.
I guess that is all, I can't show a photo of the setup because I only have one digital camera now. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio!

Simply FANTASTIC. I never imagined these kinds of results from "camera scans".

With the G2 and Provia you will RULE! Cool Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Orio!
Simply FANTASTIC. I never imagined these kinds of results from "camera scans".
With the G2 and Provia you will RULE! Cool Very Happy

Thanks Larry. I am very happy of this "evolution" (sorry Canon Wink ) of my scanning skills, because now, the need for another FF digital body is quietly delayed. Being able to obtain this quality from film, I mean a near-to-digital grain free performance, I can use a film camera as third body, and replace my 400D with a much cheaper APS-C unit.
I will only have to build a "repro studio" to grant me impeccable scanning quality. I have already bought a Rodagon, and I will soon experiment to find the perfect backlighting solution.