Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do you clean your Zeiss with?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: What do you clean your Zeiss with? Reply with quote

I am specially interested in Sonnar M42. I usually use light Ammonia cleaner solutions. But it's pretty obvious it reacts with Sonnar orange / purple MC. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have any Zeiss lenses but I never use anything other than a soft lens cloth on my lenses, and only then if there is a smear or something. Mostly I just use a blower brush.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure acetone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use my supply of Opticlean polymer. It's no longer available, but I understand that a similar or even identical polymer cleaner, called Eclipse, is available. It's not cheap, but neither are Zeiss lenses.

A soap-impregnated Brillo scouring pad is also good. Makes an excellent soft-focus lens for ladies of a certain age.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my leica M lenses, I used: water and three drops of crystal cleaner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ROR (Residual Oil Removal), a 0.5% ammonia solution. It does not react with CZ coatings and cleans stuff pretty well. Make sure not to use the same cloth to wipe twice (this leaves traces).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Pure acetone.

This surely has to be a joke? Shocked
...Pure acetone would surely remove the lens coatings would'nt it? Acetone is a very strong solvent, often used in spraypaints, and even if it does'nt remove the coatings it could certainly remove the lenses paintwork!
The only time I would wet clean a lenses front or rear elements would be when I have managed to get finger grease on one or both of them...And only then with a drop or two of Ethanol (Alchohol) based cleaner like Print FIT PC cleaner, which does an excellent job, and with a bit of soft, clean, non lint, absorbant paper.
Such cleaner evoporates away quickly, leaving no streaks. Wink

Last edited by DSG on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
I still use my supply of Opticlean polymer. It's no longer available, but I understand that a similar or even identical polymer cleaner, called Eclipse, is available. It's not cheap, but neither are Zeiss lenses.

A soap-impregnated Brillo scouring pad is also good. Makes an excellent soft-focus lens for ladies of a certain age.

LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rarely I clean my lens elements.

If a fingerprint gets in a element I use Deionized water(0% residue) & microfiber cloth. For body oil+dirt I use naphtha.

99.8% just using my Giotto blower...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can disassemble the individual lenses, I use water with a drop of liquid dishwashing in the ultrasonic cleaner for 3'. Then I dry them with a microfiber towel.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Zeiss from the Dollar store! 50 cloths for $2.00

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid contributions. Sadly many only available for USA market. Anyway dishwashing soaps seem good idea, i must try them.

Ammonia makes orange MC turn violet (in minor way and non-permanent but still).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same tools that I use to clean the lenses of other brands.
My tools are:

1- Eclipse 1
2- Isopropyl alcohol
3- Zeiss cream
4- Vedo Chiaro eyeglasses cleaning towels

The fact is, coatings are different, not just between brands but also between lenses of the same brand. With long experimentation I have found that with one of the above tools or with a combination of some of them, I can clean every lens glass. But so far I did not write down which tools on what lens. I have recently started to write down, so that next time I need to clean a lens, I already know what works best with that lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
This surely has to be a joke? Shocked
...Pure acetone would surely remove the lens coatings would'nt it? Acetone is a very strong solvent, often used in spraypaints, and even if it does'nt remove the coatings it could certainly remove the lenses paintwork!

Nope, what damages lens coatings are acids (ever tried diluted vinegar on older lenses?), acetone is perfectly safe. In fact it's what gets recommended by manufacturers of specialized (coated) optics for laser equipment, I know because I asked when I bought a semitrasparent mirror to fix some of my rangefinders.

Acetone evaporates really quickly and totally destroys all traces of oils, something which naphta or water cannot do. You only have to be careful about breathing its fumes, and with painted or plastic surfaces.

I use q-tips dipped in acetone and lightly and quickly wipe them on the lens, checking with a strong light at an angle so that smudges on the coating are visible.

Of course, nail varnish remover is not suitable as it contains oils to soften the skin, only use pure acetone found in paint or diy stores.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, that seems very risky. Did you tried acetone with Pentacons and Meyers perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Huh, that seems very risky. Did you tried acetone with Pentacons and Meyers perhaps?

Risky? Lens coatings are susceptible to acids, not solvents like acetone. I use it on all my lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Edmunds Optics paper on cleaning

http://www.edmundoptics.com/downloads/wp_cleaning_optics.pdf

If you google around, you'll find lots of mentions of pure acetone as the cleaning fluid of choice for telescopes and precision optics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny it even seems I've been using stronger stuff all along:

"Being a secondary alcohol, isopropyl alcohol can be oxidized to acetone, which is the corresponding ketone"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Anyway dishwashing soaps seem good idea, i must try them.

I was cautioned against dishwashing soaps for lens cleaning. How much truth is in it I'm not sure, but I was told that they left a coating, possibly silicon-related, designed to make crockery look shiny. I wouldn't want to use anything that left a coating behind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an interesting read: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/8301-Cleaning-coated-optics

Has some information on how certain chemicals effect coatings, cemented elements etc. I guess most of this is common knowledge... I read it all anyway Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you clean your Zeiss with? Reply with quote

I use a Zeiss lens tissue and Zeiss lens cleaner...

Doug

Pancolart wrote:
I am specially interested in Sonnar M42. I usually use light Ammonia cleaner solutions. But it's pretty obvious it reacts with Sonnar orange / purple MC. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: What do you clean your Zeiss with? Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
I use a Zeiss lens tissue and Zeiss lens cleaner...

Doug

Pancolart wrote:

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
In my leica M lenses, I used: water and three drops of crystal cleaner.

water = the best cleaner..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: What do you clean your Zeiss with? Reply with quote

Zeiss Liquid

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=zeiss+cleaner&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1855050950091039429&ei=vvX2TIzQDIu6sAP3vrjpCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAg#

Zeiss Tissues

http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-lens-cleaner-tissues.html

Complete Zeiss Kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=197278

Pancolart wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you clean your Zeiss with? Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Eclipse and pecpads. E2 is fine too, but requires slower movements. Both are also used for sensor cleaning. Even though it is a US product, I do recommend it highly.