Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What can be adapted to Sony A mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
I have a question.

I've bought various M42 to Sony Alpha adapters, with and without chip, thin and thick. All have common problem. I only can get infinity focus (and even focus past infinity), only with soviet lenses (helioses, jupiters, mirs, etc). With all chinons, yashicas, vivitars or whatsoever for M42, I get infinity at about 3-4 meters on 28mm and wider lens, about 10-12 meters with 50mm lens and say 40-50 meters with 135mm lens. Why so?

Are you or are you not reaching (or going past) infinity on all lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't know about Dyxum's ratings, all I know is what my eyes tell me about the lenses I've owned and used.

The 1985 Minolta 'beercan' 4/70-210 is a better lens, overall than the current Canon EF L 4/80-200.

There isn't a current Canon 80-200/4, do you mean the 70-200/4? If so, the Canon feels better built to me. Plus the Minolta suffers horrible purple fringing. It was the biggest Mintola AF let down for me after all the hype (I tried two). Was very good for portraits though, and I do get what people mean when talk about Minolta colours Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah 4/70-200; a friend has one an I've played with it, a good lens but I was surprised it wasn't better than a good old equivalent like the Viv Series 1 3.5/70-210 or Tokina 4/80-200, contrastier in tricky lighting but often less sharp - auto focus accuracy perhaps?

I've never had particularly noticeable purple fringing with my beercan, copy variation maybe?

This comparison shows the old Minolta can easily match the Canon:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/03/24/minolta-70-210mm-f4-versus-canon-70-200mm-f4-l-is/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian! Great article, never seen that website before!

I must say: i did not ever own any of those. I did move from Sony to Canon because the 5D was the first full-frame DSLR that came within my budget. I did however own the plastic Minolta 70-210 and once i had a 75-300, i sold them both quickly, they were very dissapointing to me back then.
Maybe because i compared them against a Sigma 75-200 2.8-3.5, which i still have, a metal built and heavy lens, but a very good performer! Funny fact: it does not get a very high rating on Dyxum, however that could be because of the push-pull and the fact that some examples don't seem to work on all Sony cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoclub Alpha is a really good site, their reviews are great.

I've been looking for that 75-200 Sigma for months, but it's really hard to find, only ones I've seen have been in the Olympus and Yashica AF mounts, which were hardly popular or long-lived systems. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I did however own the plastic Minolta 70-210 and once i had a 75-300, i sold them both quickly, they were very dissapointing to me back then.

must have been the Minolta AF 70-210/4.5-5.6.. this really isn't a very good lens.

http://mhohner.de/sony-minolta/onelens/af70-210f45

However another plastic lens (but metal mount at least).. the Minolta AF 70-210/3.5-4.5 isn't bad, to be true I liked it even more than the beercan. This could be a good and cheap option.

http://mhohner.de/sony-minolta/onelens/af70-210f35

Oh and don't forget the Minolta AF 100-200/4.5 (mini beercan).. this tiny zoom is really impressive. Just stay away from the Minolta AF 80-200/4.5-5.6.. one of the worst Minolta AF I ever tried!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:

Oh and don't forget the Minolta AF 100-200/4.5 (mini beercan).. this tiny zoom is really impressive.

True! I have one, really good performer!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Tedat wrote:

Oh and don't forget the Minolta AF 100-200/4.5 (mini beercan).. this tiny zoom is really impressive.

True! I have one, really good performer!

Yep the 100-200 is really good, and in my opinion better than the 70-210, I use that lens trackside for Bike and car racing, as it will push through fences, and the autofocus is dementedly quick. has no problem being used for track days, it is light and well built