Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are the lightest 85mm lenses, f2 or faster?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: What are the lightest 85mm lenses, f2 or faster? Reply with quote

Looking for something relatively small and lightweight, if such a lens exists.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM Zuiko 85/2 perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the lightest 85mm lenses, f2 or faster? Reply with quote

William35 wrote:

Would be helpful if you state your camera model (for compatibility reasons) or would you take any lens mount?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon H 85mm f1.8 ??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the lightest 85mm lenses, f2 or faster? Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
William35 wrote:

Would be helpful if you state your camera model (for compatibility reasons) or would you take any lens mount?

Sony A7. I LOVE the bokeh the Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 is capable of, that's the lens I really want, but at almost 2 lbs, I'm worried it might be a bit too much. And thanks to the person who mentioned the Olympus. It is indeed lightweight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably hard to beat the Olympus on size and weight, but I find the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 to be excellent and reasonable in weight though a bit large. Certainly it's a lot lighter than the Helios and if you get a good copy it is very sharp from f2 on. And its bokeh is quite nice at f1.4.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coase wrote:
Probably hard to beat the Olympus on size and weight, but I find the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 to be excellent and reasonable in weight though a bit large. Certainly it's a lot lighter than the Helios and if you get a good copy it is very sharp from f2 on. And its bokeh is quite nice at f1.4.

Thanks. I hadn't considered it because it looks so big in pics. But it is certainly affordable and f1.4 would be nice to have.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- Olympus

2- Nikkor 85/2

3-Minolta MD 85/2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
1- Olympus

2- Nikkor 85/2

3-Minolta MD 85/2

Any preference for one over the other? My favorite lens is the Konica 40mm f1.8. I wonder which of these would pair the best with it. I'm thinking the Minolta.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a Pentax-M 85/2, though last I heard reviews of it were unfavorable relative to the Zuiko.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William35 wrote:
papasito wrote:
1- Olympus

2- Nikkor 85/2

3-Minolta MD 85/2

Any preference for one over the other? My favorite lens is the Konica 40mm f1.8. I wonder which of these would pair the best with it. I'm thinking the Minolta.

We are speacking about a portrait lens or an all around one?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
William35 wrote:
papasito wrote:
1- Olympus

2- Nikkor 85/2

3-Minolta MD 85/2

We are speacking about a portrait lens or an all around one?

Primarily portraiture.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Contax G Zeiss 90/2 but maybe that's cheating Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MD 85/2 is lighter (more plastic) and sharper while the Zuiko 85/2 is smaller and has smoother bokeh.

Pick whatever you like Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea if it is the lightest - you can check for yourself - but the Canon FDn 1.8/85 deserves a look.
T

https://suggestionofmotion.com/wp-content/uploads/Canon_FD_85mm_f1-8_LT.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padam wrote:
The Minolta MD 85/2 is lighter (more plastic) and sharper while the Zuiko 85/2 is smaller and has smoother bokeh.

Zuikos do have a fungus problem, so be careful.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax M 85 f2 : 251 g

I just got one to use on my Sony A7 and I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the lightest 85mm lenses, f2 or faster? Reply with quote

William35 wrote:
I LOVE the bokeh the Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 is capable of, that's the lens I really want, but at almost 2 lbs, I'm worried it might be a bit too much.

If you don't mind losing the aperture the Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 might be a good lens for you, with the Helios 40-2 glass in a much lighter housing. It weighs 450g, 1 lbs. I'm not sure whether that is with or without the tripod mount.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
padam wrote:

I had many of them and very few Zuikos had it (85/2 was perfect), so I really don't think it is brand specific, it is more to do with the climate (for instance, much more likely to occur if it comes from Japan)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padam wrote:
kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
padam wrote:

I had many of them and very few Zuikos had it (85/2 was perfect), so I really don't think it is brand specific, it is more to do with the climate (for instance, much more likely to occur if it comes from Japan)

+1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padam wrote:
I really don't think it is brand specific, it is more to do with the climate (for instance, much more likely to occur if it comes from Japan)

Actually I got all my Zuikos from Japan, they are plenty and cheap there ..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the lightest 85mm lenses, f2 or faster? Reply with quote

William35 wrote:
tb_a wrote:
William35 wrote:

Sony A7. I LOVE the bokeh the Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 is capable of, that's the lens I really want, but at almost 2 lbs, I'm worried it might be a bit too much. And thanks to the person who mentioned the Olympus. It is indeed lightweight.

I wanted the Helios 40, I bought one but it was damaged, so it went back, I then came across this post:
http://forum.mflenses.com/meopta-meostigmat-1-4-70-on-ff-and-nex-via-vnex-t55218.html
And bought one asap, but couldn't find a good mounting solution, till hinnerker posted his V-NEX conversion, I ended up buying one, I have little desire to buy a Helios 40 now, other than to have one to go with my early sn0000xxx Helios 44, it's basically the same optical formula but much smaller and no aperture control, another option is the CZJ thin version of their Biotar 75/1.5.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand beat me to it. I own a copy of the Canon New FD 85/1.8. It is very compact, but honestly my impression of it whenever I pick it up is that it is a very dense optic. Dense as in weighing quite a lot for its given volume. But then I guess that's to be expected because of its compact size and 1.8 max aperture. It is an excellent performer, though.

NEX 7, Canon nFD 85/1.8 @ f/2.8:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
padam wrote:
I really don't think it is brand specific, it is more to do with the climate (for instance, much more likely to occur if it comes from Japan)

Actually I got all my Zuikos from Japan, they are plenty and cheap there ..

Not that cheap anymore (both price-wise and also regarding exchange) and harder to find in mint condition as well - but not impossible either Wink

I really need to re-acquaint with that 100/2 ED...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in the fantastic Pancolar 80/1.8. (5mm are negligible)