Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

weird fascination with domiplan 50/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: weird fascination with domiplan 50/2.8 Reply with quote

now i remember where it comes from: in the mid 1970's, i used to borrow from my newspaper's photo department their "reporter" camera: an exa 500 with that lens. the images were very, very good. i even shot my brother's wedding with it after my m3 (horrors!) flash link went kaput!

so, i'm thinking i want one in m42. what say ye, my photo friends? one can be had here off e-bay for $30 or so. or does someone want to trade for a spiratone 28/2.8, or vivtar 35/2.8, or vivitar 135/2.8, or two of the three, or ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scored one on eBay for $15 w/ free shipping from rural NC. I've read mixed reviews but I'm very interested in testing it out. I should get it next week or so.

So yes, you can get one for under $30! Smile

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn´t be lucky with the few copies of that meyer's lens.

As you know it's a triplet. I don't know the difference with the other meyer's triplet the trioplan 2,9/50.

One of both not a meyer lens? Like the rodenstock's novar lens for zeiss ?

Be lucky with your copy when you can find it !!

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd send you mine with pleasure, you'd be welcome to it, but the blades keep sticking. You'll be lucky to find one that doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheap way to get one is most times to by an old (stuck!?) Praktica with Domoplan on it. But remember, the lens has no M/A switch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nice condition late all-black one in M42 if you want a reasonably priced one - it's light enough for shipping to be reasonable. Iris works fine too. Let me know if you fancy it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has very mixed reputation it was cheapest lens from East Germany I think they didn't make any quality control on this lens. My copy was okay , but I don't think so you will be very pleased.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/domiplan_50mm/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for my old slides taken with the praktica and the domiplan, and I found some slides.

Till I can watch from them, the best F is F/11 at the center and F/ 16 at whole image. The best F for the skopar (tessar formula not triplet like the domiplan) is at whole image F/11-16 in RF lens.

It's an average triplet that could compete with the best triplets in RF lenses of these time.

Note that not a lot of japanese SRL came with triplets. In facts i don't remember any. Yes, a 4 elements 2,8/50 (as Miranda, Ricoh, etc) but not 3 elements lenses.

I don't know how it performer vs. the scheneider radionar and reomar, rodenstock novar and trinar, zeiss triotar, voigtlander voigtar and lanthar, etc.

In theory, all the tessar type 4/3 will have better IQ. But who knows?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread might be worth looking at, the Domiplan Challenge.
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-domiplan-challenge-t19850,highlight,domiplan.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
This thread might be worth looking at, the Domiplan Challenge.
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-domiplan-challenge-t19850,highlight,domiplan.html

That thread was an enjoyable read Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Domiplan non-1Q, that was a true lemon. Now I have a 1Q version, which is almost sharp event at f/2.8 Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I had a Domiplan non-1Q, that was a true lemon. Now I have a 1Q version, which is almost sharp event at f/2.8 Shocked

Hi, what are the differences between 1Q and non-1Q versions? How do I know which version I have?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Q lenses are said to were better controlled, for the export market. You can see either a 1 in a triangle (better than nothing, but under the 1Q) or a 1 in a Q letter, around the front element (with lens name, s/n...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Q meant that this product/design (not the single specimen you have in your hand!!!) met certain specifications for the world market! A product that had this marking had to include innovations during assembly and had to be a product of certain quality standards. This marking was given for a duration of 1 or 2 years (not sure right now) and after that period, is had to be prooven, that further innovations were made or planned during production, technique and/or design. There were no different lines in production at one time, like a Domiplan with 1 in triangle for one line and 1Q for another line. If a product that had the 1Q for years and suddenly turned up with a 1 in triangle, that simply meant, that no important changes in technical form, design were made to improve quality or no improvements during production were made!

Some products never reached that 1Q, some cheap lenses like projection lenses, or other stuff. They never met the higher standards but only reached lower level standards. So they had a 1 in triangle or an empty triangle.

Later lenses, like the Zeiss MC ones often had no markings. This did not mean, they did not reach the standards. The marking was given, but not engraved. When having such a lens with full paperwork, you will find a small paper stripe with the 1Q marking for that lens.

The 1Q thing is a big mystery for collectors and users! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Klaus

Last edited by exaklaus on Mon May 24, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you, very interesting, I have never seen the 1Q or 1-triangle mark myself. My Domiplan is a zebra version s/n 6110549 and has no qulity markings at all. Was this a DDR national standard or just for Meyer-Optik Gorlitz?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all DDR/GDR products

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Domiplans Reply with quote

I have several and will get around to testing them soon. They have a dire reputation for lack of dependability, but rival the Tessar 50 2.8 for centre sharpness. The edges and corners are pleasantly fuzzy at wide open and tighten considerably by F8 to equal the Tessar. If you have a good one.

Never seen the 1Q type. Have fun! May need to buy one or two to get the better one, though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 50/2.8 tessar seems a much better bet. it is a small lens, too, right? i like compact glass. wishing the industar 50-2 were automatic. may get one anyway ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Tessar is lot better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, Tessar is lot better.

I agree.

Specialy in SRL and interchangeable lenses RF (f.e.werra) tessars. The fixed RF tessars need to focus by moving the front element and that changes the focal lenght and diminishes the IQ.

Rino.