Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

W-I-D-E Angle lens reccomendation please.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: W-I-D-E Angle lens reccomendation please. Reply with quote

I have a Canon 28-135mm coming soon for my Canon 40D but i want a wider angle lens for landscapes and will be happy with a MF lens (of coarse!) but want a fair bit wider than 28mm.

Budget is £150

Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 17mm? Not bad and in that range.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 17/3.5 can be had for around $150 on the bay, don't know how different it is from Tokina?

I am waiting for my OM 24/2.8 to arrive, which is also in the same price range, but it's probably too close to 28.

I saw some Flek 20/4 going as low as $100-150, but not sure what mount they are.

Perhaps you can also look at the old Nikkor-UD 20/3.5?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a very nice Canon 24mm F1.4 with the FD mount. Its heavy, smooth, and takes a very good picture as a 48mm on my lumix G1 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the tokina RMC quite cheap at 65€, I like how compact it is but I have not been able to test it properly, however for APS-C I would take an APS-C zoom lens, like the Tokina 12-24. Very good sharpness
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina RMC 17/3.5 is a dog. The better one is the ATX 17/3.5

The SP 17/3.5 is a good lens - at least the one I had. But, there are some batch variances as it was made over 2 decades... so you may need to find a good one.

The OM24mm should be a good lens, but I've not had one.

The Nikkor 20/3.5 UD is an old design ... and a bit of a dog as well.
The later 20/2.8 is the best, and the 20/4 AI is ok if used at small apertures.

The Flektogon 20/4 is a dog. I've seen shots from two diff pieces. It's as much of a dog as the Flektogon 25/4.
The only good CZJ wide really, is the Flektogon 20/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Tamron SP 17/3.5 can be had for around $150 on the bay, don't know how different it is from Tokina?

I do as I have both. The Tokina is'nt good wide open and needs stopping down at least a stop or more but the Tamron is very good even wide open. The Tokina has a 67mm filter thread but the Tamron does'nt have a filter thread at all unless, like me, you glue a 67mm filter thread on the front or if you can find the very rare and expensive dedicated Tamron lenshood.
I find the 6 pointed stars given by the Tokina in nightshots to be much nicer looking than the 10 pointed stars given by the Tamron, but thats to my personal taste.
The Tamron is an adaptall lens so it can fit virtually any camera whereas the Tokina is not so universal...My Tokina came with a Minolta mount but luckily I was able to swap the M42 mount off my Tokina 28mm f2.8 onto it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DSG, looks like Tamron SP has two variance, one with attached hood one without?

Keltzar, not sure if the old nikkor or flek 20/4 are dogs, but flek 20/2.8 is above the price range, while Andy might still be able to find the Nikon 20/2.8 in his price range though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 20mm or 24mm any variant just perfect choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keltzar wrote:
The Tokina RMC 17/3.5 is a dog.

Shocked I hope I does not bite me, what do you mean exacly mean by a dog? I guess poor quality, as I said I have not tried it yet but I see it pretty compact for a 17mm
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keltzar wrote:

The Flektogon 20/4 is a dog. I've seen shots from two diff pieces. It's as much of a dog as the Flektogon 25/4.

I could never hear mine bark. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keltzar you are first one who is report any bad thing about 20mm Fleks , something trouble did happen with your lens or you have Distagon 21mm and you compare for that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
keltzar wrote:

I could never hear mine bark. Wink

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Thanks DSG, looks like Tamron SP has two variance, one with attached hood one without?

Keltzar, not sure if the old nikkor or flek 20/4 are dogs, but flek 20/2.8 is above the price range, while Andy might still be able to find the Nikon 20/2.8 in his price range though.

The Tamron does indeed have two variances. The older model (51B) has built-in filters which the later one does not. The filters are normal, 81B, 80B and Y2. The dedicated lens hood is a 20FH and accepts 82mm filters. It is an excellent performer in either model.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
looks like Tamron SP has two variance, one with attached hood one without
For both the variants (the earlier 51B and latest 151B) the hood comes as a separate item. The real difference lies in that the old (51B) one has 3 or 4 built in filters, feature dropped in the newer one. So the old one is possibly bigger and heavier. As DSG said the dedicated hood is an hard to find item. That said this lens quite sharp overall the frame from f8 on (possibly even at f5.6). At larger apertures is a bit soft near the edges, but I can live with that since I stop down most of the time (unless I have to open up due to low light, that is). If you compose carefully the distortion is limited for being such wide angle. I often use my left hand in lieu of the hood, having great care not to get it in the frame Smile. What I find limiting is the lack of the filter thread (I have the 151B) which is part of the hood and would allow taking 82 mm ones. I tried myself the same solution proposed by DSG but found out that is producing vignettes on the corners. My contraption is probably not working because I used a 67/72 step ring to fit the filters I already have in my kit and which is protruding frontwards from the bezel casting a shade on the edges of framed field. My humble opinion is that is reasonably good for the price, its Canon counterpart would have cost me twice...

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Edgar was faster and concise than I. Smile

M.-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you'll find a Tamron SP 17/3.5 at around 150$ as been said above.
I watched for this lens for the last couple of months and all I've seen was "buy it now", 220-300$.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I doubt that you'll find a Tamron SP 17/3.5 at around 150$ as been said above.
I watched for this lens for the last couple of months and all I've seen was "buy it now", 220-300$.

Click here to see on Ebay

Hope I parse it correctly Embarassed

And don't rave about it too much, I am still looking for one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I missed those ones.
And I congrat meself for missing them otherwise I wouldn't purchased mines for 60$.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guy's.

The 20mm f2.8 Flek or is it Nikon anyhoo which ever i'll keep my eye's peeled for one of those.

How about the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5? Aperture not a prob as it will be on a tripod for landscapes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw wrote:
How about the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5?

It's a little tricky since you require mirror lock-up. Here's the lens mounted on a 5D ...

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/15mm_test1.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw huge quality variation of Flektogon 2.8/20 MC copies (and 2.4/35 MC), the 4/20 zebras are way more close from piece to piece and on average better

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darmodej wrote:
I also saw huge quality variation of Flektogon 2.8/20 MC copies (and 2.4/35 MC), the 4/20 zebras are way more close from piece to piece and on average better

+1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love dogs.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
andyw wrote:
How about the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5?

It's a little tricky since you require mirror lock-up. Here's the lens mounted on a 5D ...

The one i'm looking at looks nothing like that! It looks like a std lens, here's a link to the ebay thread: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190390141669&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT