Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna-9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Volna-9 Reply with quote

Recently I bought Volna-9 from ebay, and I find it has a very different than my other 50's bokeh when wide open.

Not sure if this qualifies for a good bokeh, but I like how the Volna-9 renders background when used at f/2.8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I place Volna-9 amongst my most loved lenses and I always try to advertise it because I hope people will buy it and save it.

The first photo is perfect, it makes me want to eat that strawberry immediately!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the background is fantastic, the colours are absolutely gorgeous.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! A must have lens! Very nice presentation! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb samples!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I place Volna-9 amongst my most loved lenses and I always try to advertise it because I hope people will buy it and save it.

The first photo is perfect, it makes me want to eat that strawberry immediately!

I am not surprised you love this lens, Orio, as it is... a good old Tessar formula lens (like many macro lenses)!

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Orio - who first led me to this fine lens. Thanks both of you for bringing this back to the forefront

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent lens indeed! (And very nice shots.)
This is the only "real" macro lens I have ever had and since I've got it, I do not feel like having another one. " 'nuff said." (I like that!)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots !!
Orio wrote:

I would love to see some of your shots taken with the Volna-9 too Orio !!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:

I would love to see some of your shots taken with the Volna-9 too Orio !!

Mine are not as good as this strawberry photo.
But I'll see if I can find something in my disks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful lens you got there... another for the short list.
My short list is getting kind of lengthy! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lists always are

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These shots reminded me of how good a lens the Volna-9 really is. Stopped down to f/5.6, it is a very good general purpose lens, which hardly requires a lens shade. It is also quite OK to use the full f/2.8 aperture at close range, but at longer ranges it will be somewhat soft due to uncorrected spherical aberration, which is the cause of the flare-like phenomenon. Fully open, the bokeh isn't particularly good, but stopping down it does improve a lot - like with most lenses is the case.

I've started replacing the portrait oriented images on my site with somewhat wider versions, i.e., 730px wide instead of the original 600px. I haven't quite finished the job yet, but the Volna-9 on 350D page is ready, and I have also added a page with photos taken with the Volna on 5D. The Volna pages are at

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_volna-9.html and http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_volna-9.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Volna shots, Veijo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I agree, but still it is just test shots.

If I had the skills and talent like Veijo do, I would shoot different pictures.

I hope you are not offended Veijo, if so I am truly sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Orio wrote:

I agree, but still it is just test shots.

If I had the skills and talent like Veijo do, I would shoot different pictures.

I hope you are not offended Veijo, if so I am truly sorry.

No offense taken. You ought to read my front page in toto (http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/). There, before the SLR tests, I state:

Quote:
Most photos in this section make no pretense of being other than plain, rather boring test shots, taken of the same subjects over and over again. Some of them may quite accidentally be good, I mean good in a non-technical sense, not just technically passably successful. Even technically, a larger proportion of photos taken with "perfect" lenses are disappointing compared to photos with lesser lenses as the expectations are higher, often quite unrealistic, and too many things can and do go wrong.

I do also shoot different pictures, but they aren't on the lens pages, which are more oriented to giving people at least some idea of the lenses, at least of the specimens which happen to be in my possession or which have been lent to me for testing. I'm trying to have stopped buying new lenses, but still some of my own need testing or processing photos already taken, and I also have half a dozen other lenses waiting, lenses sent to me for testing with the same kind of subject material I'm usually using - in order to have a reference point. I've got another site which is more photographically oriented, but I haven't had time or energy to develop it - the curse of way too many lenses.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
I've got another site which is more photographically oriented, but I haven't had time or energy to develop it - the curse of way too many lenses.

Veijo

I hope you will get the time, because you have knowledge like nobody else.

I believe the best way to get more people into MF, is by showing what these beautify lenses can to in the hands of an artist.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences (shame, sharpness, colour rendition ,etc) between THE VOLNA-9 AND THE INDUSTAR 61 L/Z O 3MC ?

I saw both in this forum, and like them. It seem to me that both are best for the same kind of work, aren't they? Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
What are the differences (shame, sharpness, colour rendition ,etc) between THE VOLNA-9 AND THE INDUSTAR 61 L/Z O 3MC ?

I saw both in this forum, and like them. It seem to me that both are best for the same kind of work, aren't they? Am I wrong?

They are very similar lenses.
Both are very sharp stopped down. Both render star-shaped highlights.
The Volna can focus closer.
The Industar is cheaper.
I personally like the dreamlike quality of Volna-9 wide open, and especially I love the focusing ring of the Volna, one of the most responsive and accurate that I have tried. So I would choose the Volna. But the Industar is an excellent bargain for the money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORIO

As always you help. thanks for your time and your opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion: you have to choose the lens for the task. If you want 'rough' bokeh, choose industar. As I see - I have only Industar at the moment - Volna is smoother, closer to modern lenses. It's nice, and very sharp. I'll try it soon, but now I really enjoy the 61L/Z. I have the Canon 100 macro too, but Industar is always in the bag...Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csaba369

Thanks, the differents bokeh is a interesant element to be considered.

t seem to be a question of age or shame of both lenses.

Regards and, again, thanks very much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volna-9 is a damn good lens equal or better than many "big names" Nikor, Leica etc. great samples ! Many thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my Volna-9, too Smile Especially because it's good not only for macro, but close-ups and even portraits.

and of course that charachteristic bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

Off the hook capture! Shocked
Congrats! Very Happy