Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 in comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer

My old Kodachrome slides still look great. No deterioration at all.

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,Kodachrome is well known & appreciated in the archival and professional market because of its color accuracy and dark-storage longevity.When stored in darkness, Kodachrome's long-term stability under ordinary conditions is superior to other types of color film; images on Kodachrome slides over fifty years old retain accurate color and density. It has been calculated that the least stable color, yellow, would suffer a 20% loss of dye in 185 years.This is because developed Kodachrome retains no unused color couplers.My old Kodachrome slides are in good shape as well...those scans are off of some poor quality prints I had made long ago and scanned on a old HP fax machine/scanner,which I uploaded to one of my old computers.Also the first and the fourth photos were taken with a 2x TC coupled to a 50mm and a 135mm for compression,those slides are almost 40 years old...but a recent viewing of some of my favorites when we had the family over for Christmas,looked like the pics were taken yesterday.I really need a good quality scanner,but haven't taken the time to buy one because I've been quite busy with other projects.Perhaps next winter I'll take time to buy a decent Epson or Coolscan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer: The Healey belonged to a full bird Colonel at the Air Force base. He brought the car up there with him from his previous assignment in Texas, then pretty much just stored it. He retired and realizing he would rarely drive it, turned his interest to snowmobiles and a cabin in the wilderness. The car was never really subjected to the roads of Alaska. I had considered taking ownership of the car in Anchorage, but then thought better and had it shipped to Tacoma.

Still in Washington (albeit a tad over done)...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful capture Woodrim! Both the pic & the Austin Healey!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've completed the mount conversion of the 1:1 adapter for my Series 1 90mm. Trying to get the nack of this macro world, focus being the biggest challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Woodrim!You'll have hours of pleasurable shooting with the Vivitar S1 90/2.5.I presume you shot those mounted on a tripod,are you using a focusing rail as well? BTW....Did you pick up the 135/2.8 or pass on it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripod, yes, focusing rail, no. Most things I've photographed so far have been small and detached, so I've moved the subject instead of the lens, with the exception of the wing nut. With the wing nut I nailed the focus and am very happy with the sharpness. It would be hard to not consider that picture sharp. Other subjects are more dimensional and difficult to find the best place to focus for effect. I wanted those hairs on the fungus, so that was easy. The water drop was very difficult to find the focus. I suppose I got it at some point, but it's too round to capture the whole drop at that magnification.

So far I have passed on the 135mm close focus. I will keep my eyes open though. What did you think of the $100 price? Would you go with the Series 1 version or the close focus one? Or am I better off with a Zeiss, Jupiter, Takumar, or Tair? Or maybe I should chill and just work with the plain vanilla Vivitar I already have.

More of my learning mode macro shots here:
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/vivitar90s1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="woodrim"]

So far I have passed on the 135mm close focus. I will keep my eyes open though. What did you think of the $100 price? Would you go with the Series 1 version or the close focus one? Or am I better off with a Zeiss, Jupiter, Takumar, or Tair? Or maybe I should chill and just work with the plain vanilla Vivitar I already have.
quote]

Which series 1 are we discussing here?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll do fine with the Vivitar S1 90/2.5 for now....

But...If you wish to acquire more macro lenses in different focal length,if the lens is in excellent condition I'd buy it for a $100....

The Nikkor 55/2.8 for high resolution with good saturation infinity shots as well as macro work,is a lens that gets top marks for a reasonable price (the PK-13 extension tube should be acquired for 1:1,but does fine without for 1:2)....

The Nikkor 55/3.5 with the M or M-2 extension tube & serial numbers 188128-273083 with the compensating aperture & optimised for close-ups with peak performance at 1:10 magnification,is a hard lens to beat for resolution and price.

Finally....to me a good macro lens collection should include the Kiron or Lester Dine 105/f2.8 Macro

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#55micro

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html[/url]

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My macro lens collection has several of the lenses you mention....I have the Dine 105 & the Nikkor 55 mmF2.8. I also have the Komine made Vivitar 90mm F2.8 & the 135mm F2.8 Komine made Vivitar close focus model

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Vivitar Series 1....I know you don't need another lens to drool over....but the 90-180mm flat field zoom may not have the image quality of a prime macro,but it's quite close...as Robert Monaghan says,"this macro zoom is designed to provide the highest possible quality continuously down to its closest macro settings"....and the zoom gives you more framing options.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's one I'd like to have, but they are seldom seen on eBay or in the used dept of camera shops.....Plus, it goes for more $$$ than I'm willing to spend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Which series 1 are we discussing here?

To answer Russ' question, I was asking comparison of Vivitar 135mm Close Focus and 135mm Series 1.

More later. Need to get some work done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro (52B or 52BB) as well. A very sharp optic, even wide open.

If you click on my blog link below, you can read an evaluation of it I conducted just a few days ago. Rather long, but there are lots of photos. It's currently the second post from the top.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my "Dine" Kiron 105's. Very Happy

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I can recommend the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro (52B or 52BB) as well. A very sharp optic, even wide open.

If you click on my blog link below, you can read an evaluation of it I conducted just a few days ago. Rather long, but there are lots of photos. It's currently the second post from the top.

Mike

Nice lens reviews in your Blog. When are you going to review the Tamron SP 17 f/3.5?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Mike

Nice lens reviews in your Blog. When are you going to review the Tamron SP 17 f/3.5?

Thanks! Uh -- I guess I'll review the Tamron 17/3.5 when I get one. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Russ wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Mike

Thanks! Uh -- I guess I'll review the Tamron 17/3.5 when I get one. Cool

My mistake. I thought you had and used one already.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, a short question to the experts here.

does anyone know the f:11/800 mirror Ser. 1? Should be manufactured by Perkin-Elmer around 1980. Any solutions regarding this lens ?

Thanks for your assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch: I looked at your site on the Tamron; nice job. Using your lead, here's a couple of currency pictures from my Series 1 90mm f/2.5...
I didn't have a Jackson, so used a Lincoln...

25% crop:

33% crop:

The Vivitar uses an adapter to accomplish 1:1. It has three elements and while it was match mated for the 90mm, I've experimented by using other Minolta MC or MD mount lenses. One arrangement I like is the adapter paired with my 200mm. This gives a good working distance of approximately three to four feet. Doesn't give 1:1, but I will like this for flowers and such that don't need to be that close. It essentially makes the 200mm a close focus lens.Here's a few shots:

and this one at full open f/3.5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

No --- I have a Tokina-made Vivitar 17mm f/3.5. That's probably the one you're thinking of. It's in Canon FD mount. I haven't used it on my EOS DSLR with my FD-EOS adapter, just FD cameras. It's sharp, with good contrast, but does have some visible barrel distortion.

Canon F-1, Vivitar 17mm f/3.5, Ektar 100. Exposure unrecorded.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Sorry, a short question to the experts here.

does anyone know the f:11/800 mirror Ser. 1? Should be manufactured by Perkin-Elmer around 1980. Any solutions regarding this lens ?

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm no more an expert then you and as you probably already know the serial number should be 44xxxx for the Perkin Elmer built solid cats.

You shoot Nikon DSLR's correct? The rear tube of the Vivitar lens is short, and it will not mount completely on all Nikon bodies.You'll want to check this right off the git go.

As for a solution... a current generation 300 - 600mm lens of moderate to high speed is the solution...or really get to know that Vivitar 600 preset of yours and use some post processing sharpening.

But I'm also of the firm belief that there isn't a lens that can't at least have some keepers with a bit of shooting within the range where it excels....of course there are some lenses that aren't worth taking that many pics to get a few keepers.

Vivitar Series 1 600mm solid cat hand held with a wee bit of shake...not a great pic,a bit soft and lacking in contrast...but I expected that.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Russ wrote:

No --- I have a Tokina-made Vivitar 17mm f/3.5. That's probably the one you're thinking of. It's in Canon FD mount. I haven't used it on my EOS DSLR with my FD-EOS adapter, just FD cameras. It's sharp, with good contrast, but does have some visible barrel distortion.

Canon F-1, Vivitar 17mm f/3.5, Ektar 100. Exposure unrecorded.

What do you think of the Ektar 100? I just burned a roll not long ago. Very fine grain. Did you get any Cyan cast?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having most of Vivitars Super Telephotos and preset long focal length lens from the 70's including the 1979 600 and 800 preset Vivitars,the 120-600 is a cheap solution versus the modern moderate super telephoto.

Vivitar 120-600/5.6 (and yes the horizon isn't level)That's five miles across the mouth of Admiralty Inlet

Vivitar 120-600

Vivitar 800/8 preset Tokina built (crop)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer: I'm aware of the 90-180mm Series 1 and I've been tempted, but I'm trying to be restrained.... at least somewhat. I had thought I would determine what my core lens holdings should be and target those only. Well, I've managed to collect a few more than anticipated, but I still have an idea of what I'd like - or I should say what I need - no, that doesn't work either. I have most of the line up now and am only seeking a very few more. I don't see myself needing the 90-180mm. The Series 1 200 f/3 is on its way to me, as is a 24mm Vivitar. I've somehow managed to acquire (story for another time) another Series 1 200mm and that too is on way to me. I'll have a M42 version and an OM version. I'll probably sell one of them. I also have one or two too many Close Focus 28mm lenses.