Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 in comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer, I forgot to ask, do you have the Vivitar 200-400mm ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boomer,

many thanks for the info.

regards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Boomer, I forgot to ask, do you have the Vivitar 200-400mm ?

I have never heard of a Vivitar 200-400mm.

Back in the day,being a Nikon type back in those days I acquired AI and some of the better known AI-S and non-AI lenses.

I also collected primarily the Vivitar Series 1 line,TX line ,macro and close focus lenses from the late 70's to the early 80's.I also added the preset 500,600 and 800 long focal length lenses.The only Vivitar that I bought that wasn't from these halcyon years was the 120-600 zoom from the late 80's.

Having gone to Canon for digital I started collecting Canon EF L line of lenses.It wasn't til last year that I finally started mounting some of these old manual focus lenses and started shooting them digitally.I then started acquiring some of the finer Nikkors and Vivitar Series 1 and TX lenses that were either missing,worn out or cheaper to replace then repair from my collection.I then started picking up some of the finer Zeiss,Meyer Optik, and few other German lenses as well as a few Olympus Zuiko lens last year.

This year I intend to finish collecting the Olympus Zuiko lenses that are known to shoot well digitally....after that,well there are some interesting Russian lenses that I wouldn't mind acquiring....then there's Pentax Takumar and a few others that catch my eye...after that,there are some really nice lenses that have out of this world prices like Leica,Schneider and a few others.

I doubt I'll ever stop collecting lenses and camera equipment....it's kinda hard to stop collecting,once you've started.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, make that 100-400mm. A later Vivitar - even with auto focus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend shooting the lens first before you buy it....

I prefer late 70's & early 80's Vivitars and am not familiar with the lens.I would suggest the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L or similar modern 3rd party lens with this range....

If you don't want to put out that much $$$,then I would suggest a good 3rd party 300 or 400mm manual focus prime.Some good lens listed below.There is a lot of good glass missing from that list,primarily much long tele Nikkor ED and Canon glass from the FD days.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/top_lenses/long+tele/

Can't forget the Tamron SP's
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/65B.html
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/60B.html

Can't over look this one with the spherical aberration compensator group
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/54B.html

More then a few good Nikkors here
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

Good Canon FD to EOS primer here
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

Interesting ELEFOTO Canon FD to EOS adapter here
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look those over. My camera is a Sony. I suppose this is one of the more modern Vivitars?
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/90179-sale-%5Bsold%5D-%5Bworldwide%5D-vivitar-24mm-f-2-8-auto-aperture-mc-close-focusing-lens.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more modern Vivitars are Cosina made. Optical and build quality can vary... Sad

KK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my daughters shot Minolta....but I recently converted her by giving her an old camera bag with an F2,FE and FM2n and five of the best AI and AI-S Nikkors....although Minolta made more then a few excellent lenses....you can never have enough light boxes and lenses of various makes.

That said...if you haven't read it already....here is a good write up on Sony Alpha DSLR & M42 lenses and adapters....

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_alpha/discuss/72157608288010526/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Arkku is a frequent poster on the Dyxum (Minolta/Sony) forum. I'm familiar with what is needed for Sony or Minolta mount adaptation or conversion. It is true what he said about converting old Minolta MC/MD lenses; they have a registration distance (RD) shorter than the AF versions and Sony by 1mm. Some of those lenses can be adapted while others are very difficult - all depending on the particular mount. If the removable mount has enough meat, it can be done. The Vivitar Series 1 90mm Minolta mount that I have happens to have very thick mounts which have allowed me to replace the mount with a spacer 2mm less in thickness, then mount a M42 adapter which is 1mm, resulting in the desired 1mm reduction in RD. Basically, almost any lens equal to or greater than 45.5mm RD is a candidate for easy adaptation. I have several lenses lined up for conversion, including Olympus mount and Minolta MD mount. This particular MD mount is thicker than normal, allowing for a reduction. The Olympus is 46mm RD, so I still have an extra .5mm to work with. I'll likely trim off the actual bayonet raised portion of the mount, add a .5mm shim (or washer), and then mount the M42 Sony adapter on top. If all works out well, I should not have to adjust infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion would be the TX 300 & 400mm lenses with an M42/TX mount.The TX 400 is an improvement over the earlier fixed mount Vivitar 400mm,which were sharp but some had noticeable color fringing.I have one copy of the TX 300mm and two of the TX 400mm lenses,if you're trying to fill the frame closeup out to about a 100' they do surprisingly well,further out they deliver acceptable images wide open,stopping down to f8 or f11 improves the images.Modern Photography did a review in '78 in a publication the Photo Buying Guide 78 of the Vivitar 400/5.6 TX....a few highlights were...

-red spherical flare at 5.6 but gone by f8.
-considerable secondary color aberration
-over-corrected green spherical aberration and under-correct red spherical aberration.
-this lens is better than average
-in filed tests image sharpness was acceptable
-color fringing visible

Res(Cont)..Center......Corner
5.6...........37(53).......26 (42)
8.............42(62)........29 (40)
11............47(64).......33 (36)
16............47(53).......37 (32)
22............47(46).......42 (29)

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Russ wrote:
My mistake. I thought you had and used one already.

No --- I have a Tokina-made Vivitar 17mm f/3.5. That's probably the one you're thinking of. It's in Canon FD mount. I haven't used it on my EOS DSLR with my FD-EOS adapter, just FD cameras. It's sharp, with good contrast, but does have some visible barrel distortion.

Canon F-1, Vivitar 17mm f/3.5, Ektar 100. Exposure unrecorded.

What do you think of the Ektar 100? I just burned a roll not long ago. Very fine grain. Did you get any Cyan cast?

Hey Russ,

I like it. I've only shot a few rolls of it so far, both in 35mm and 120. I find its saturation to be flat (that is, not over or under saturated), and the grain to be very fine -- almost as fine as a good slide film. As far as colors go, when I've had lab prints done, they look fine. When I scan the negs on my Epson scanner, though, the grays tend to take on a purple cast, but that is a one-click adjustment in post processing, so no big deal. I also like the fact that it's cheap, compared to a lot of other emulsions. For 35mm, it's become my favorie C-41 emulsion. For 120, I like both Ektar and Portra 160. The Portra has more intense color saturation, and the grain is almost as fine as Ektar's.

Here's a shot from a roll of 120, Bronica ETRSi, 75mm f/2.8:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won a second Vivitar 90-180 Flat Field Zoom on ebay...paid about more then I did for the last but that happens sometimes....just about missed bidding on it,there was 27 sec left when I got home and turned the computer on....messed up my initial bid and re-bid with a few seconds left.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, thats some series money. I paid less than that for my camera. But some Series 1 lenses have been going for big dollars recently, mostly Nikon or M42. There was a Series 1 90mm Nikon mount went for $239, another in M42 for around $300, and a 135mm with haze or fungus in the middle of the rear lens went for $260 - Nikon mount.

I got lucky with my Series 1 200mm in M42 mount. I just received it today. I had some things in motion and ended up with a second one which arrived earlier in the week. The second one is OM mount and I'll be selling it at $175. Any takers?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some pics of the lens? $175 is a bit high,the two latest went for $115 & $112

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a gorgeous lens, Boomer. I owned one just like it (Nikon mount) for a short time, but let a guy talk me into selling it. At the time, I needed the money more than the lens. This was some 20 years ago, and even then I got about $200 for it.

I look forward to seeing some example photos when you get the chance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes with both caps and filter... I see no scratches, no fungus, no fogging, and minimal dust.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooltouch-We could add coin shots to your macro thread of various macro lenses after you done posting on your blog and the thread.

I'm really interested in seeing how the Tamron 52B 90/2 & the Tokina 90/2.5 do in comparison.

Woodrim-Would you consider coming down on the price?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do, it will be for you, Boomer, but first let me see if I can get my price. I haven't officially posted it for sale yet. Wait, come down how much?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...right in the middle of cooking dinner,it's my turn tonight...perhaps we can discuss this via PM after I finish cooking...and before I hear about it,now that I'm retired,I take as much of the cooking duties from the little lady as I can...after all,she made my breakfast,lunch and dinner for 37 years,it's the least I can do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, send me a PM, but I may not answer until tomorrow. I'm three hours later than you. I've just taken my first pictures with my M42 version of the 200mm. Had to catch my daughter on her way out to salsa dancing... available room light - 2 second exposure. Soft either from movement or bad focus job. Still, I like it for portrait even if longer than customary.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
Cooltouch-We could add coin shots to your macro thread of various macro lenses after you done posting on your blog and the thread.

I'm really interested in seeing how the Tamron 52B 90/2 & the Tokina 90/2.5 do in comparison.

I took a bunch of photos of a US quarter a couple days ago, but noticed when inspecting them at 100% that there was softness where there shouldn't be. I got to thinking about this and the only thing I could come up with was that my camera may have been tilted slightly away from being parallel to my copy stand's surface. So I tried again last night, this time making sure the camera was parallel, and for the subject I used an old Zippo lighter that my father carried in Korea during the Korean War. He had the name and insignia of his unit engraved on it, which I thought would make for a somewhat more interesting set of macro shots.

Reshooting took care of the softness problem. Now I need to assemble them into some sort of cohesive order, and I'll update my blog. I'll probably post some of the images here too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it Michael.I'll post pics from various macros as well.Perhaps someone will post pics from a Tokina 90/2.5....

BTW I was checking your blog this morning,to see if you posted the comparison yet....Then I took a foray into your other blogs and thoroughly enjoyed it....You have a very good writing style,in which the reader can become immersed....An interesting and remarkable history you've experienced,and quite the craftsman,too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Boomer. Actually, my website is very much in an unfinished state. I'm rather ashamed to admit that the Photo section is woefully incomplete, and I do plan to do something about that some day soon.

But in the mean time, I've updated my blog with a write up about my new Vivitar S1 105 Macro, including some sample pics, most of which I've already posted here.

I'll be sure and let y'all know when I've finished the comparison report. It might surprise you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
Looking forward to it Michael.I'll post pics from various macros as well.Perhaps someone will post pics from a Tokina 90/2.5...

I have lots of Tokina 90mm f2.5 pictures here:
- http://flickriver.com/photos/elchivato/tags/tokinaatx90mm/
- http://flickriver.com/photos/elchivato/tags/tokina/

It is a great lens. But I also am fund of my Kiron 105mm and Vivitar Series 1 90mm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set there Jerry! How long have you had the Tokina and how would you compare your copy to your other macro lenses?

Michael...no matter if it's complete or not.I found your writing quite enjoyable and looking forward to more.