Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Series 1 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Series 1 Macro Reply with quote

This lens was made by Tokina and is nicknamed the Bokina. It comes with a matched adapter to achieve 1:1 magnification. That was the only way I could use it until now. I really don't care for super close macro, so it has been mostly sitting awaiting a mount conversion. Today I attached it with a mount converter that has no glass, but won't focus anywhere near infinity. The working range with this short extension seems to be approximately 3-4" to 24-30" - somewhere around that range. That was good enough for me to do some of my usual photography.

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images. How does this lens behave wide open? Any problem with CA?

Last edited by couchpotato on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take some more wide open tomorrow and try to pick some CA inducing situations. I didn't see much at all, only very minimal. I actually expected more based on my other Series 1 lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couchpotato: I took numerous pictures today, all at wide open and most in situations where my other lenses have had trouble with CA. The spider in particular has been a challenge because her legs and part of her body are blue. I've had lots of blue fringing when shooting her (she has been there all summer). Both the red and blue flowers have invoked blue/purple fringe with other lenses. All three will disply some now, but not nearly as much as my other lenses. The second spider is of the same type, but a different one shot at a different angle and it displays none.

*Note: All images in this post have been lost, so I have on 3/21/2017 replaced the broken images with others.

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples of one of my favourite lenses.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Woodrim. Those pictures are lovely. I tried bidding this lens on eBay twice, but lost both times. Your pictures convince me I should try again. This lens is a dream for any macro fans.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots Smile Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the ones I have my sight on right now. Hope to get one soon to go with my Series 1 105 f/2.5 Komine macro.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One of the ones I have my sight on right now. Hope to get one soon to go with my Series 1 105 f/2.5 Komine macro."

You mean Kiron don't you?...Komine didn't make the S1 105 macro. If you really do have a Komine made 105 S1 I'd like to see photos of it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't there two 105's as well as two 90s. The other 90mm is a Komine f/2.8. I don't remember the 105mm story, but I know it's good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Komine made 90mm F2.8, but it's not a Series One...There were other 105's, but not Series One or macro's AFAIK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another boke sample for this lens:

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the 105's there is also the Kiron 105mm f2.8, I guess that is the other one... A killer Macro lens too

And the other 90 actually is the Tokina ATX 90mm f2.5 !!!

Got both of the above. Sold my Vivitar some weeks ago... hurts a little but I preferred too keep the Tokina.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came across this lens when I was hunting for the Tokina ATX 90mm f2.5.

I belive they are basicly the same lenses, apart for the aperture and perhaps the coating?

I bought it in OM mount, but unfortunately I've forgot my adapter somewhere so I can't try it now... Hopefully I will get it in a couple of days. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappo wrote:
I recently came across this lens when I was hunting for the Tokina ATX 90mm f2.5.

I belive they are basicly the same lenses, apart for the aperture and perhaps the coating?

The max aperture is the same; I think the coating updated. Do get your adapter and enjoy the lens. I'm not using the 1:1 matched adapter that came with it because I don't care for the extreme close ups and micro depth of field. I have it on what amounts to a short extension and the working distance is very nice for my purposes. However, I do look forward to getting the mount straightened out so I can put it to general use. It is crazy sharp; easily the sharpest lens I have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Swappo wrote:

The max aperture is the same; I think the coating updated. Do get your adapter and enjoy the lens. I'm not using the 1:1 matched adapter that came with it because I don't care for the extreme close ups and micro depth of field. I have it on what amounts to a short extension and the working distance is very nice for my purposes. However, I do look forward to getting the mount straightened out so I can put it to general use. It is crazy sharp; easily the sharpest lens I have.

Oh, I mean the aperture blades, that they are a different shape...
I wanted to do a test against my Tamron SP 90/2.5 macro... I will do it later on. I can say that this lens seems to give a more well built impression than the Tamron.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mf newbie. the 90MM 2.5 was my first lens "score"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a superb lens, Herb, with legendary sharpness and bokeh. Don't set your expectations for other MF lenses as high. You've started with one of the very best. It surprises me that every time people talk about lenses in this focal length area, this lens gets hardly a mention, yet when on ebay it still commands high dollars. By the way, if my memory serves me, it is actually 87mm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodrim.

Nowhere to go but down if I'm starting with one of the best Wink

I've got a Vivitar 70-210mm 2.8-4.0 Komine arriving next week. And I have my eye on the Tair-11a and a SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4.

Thoughts on those last two?

Herb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is hard to criticize the Takumar, although some do. I don't have one but would pick it up if the right deal presented itself. I'm a bargain shopper. I would put the Tair behind a few other, but that's just me. I'm very big on the Series 1 135mm f/2.3. I'll have an opportunity to compare it to Russian glass when my Jupiter 11 arrives tomorrow. I recently purchased two Komura 135 lenses, a f/2.8 and a f/3.5. The f/3.5 leaves me wanting for something, but the f/2.8 seems quite good and the sharpness and bokeh are close to the Series 1, but with better CA control.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you will see from my first post in this thread, I have had this lens since 2010 and used it in close-up and macro mode while patiently waiting for the purchase of a NEX-5N. I'm really enjoying the lens now being able to use it at any distance. Incredibly sharp with great bokeh - the only thing I wish it had is a multi-multi blade, round iris. These taken this past weekend downtown Charleston.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb sharpness, this looks like a keeper Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Superb sharpness, this looks like a keeper Very Happy

+1 indeed, beautiful series!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GORGEOUS rendering with this lens. Shocked The photographer isn't bad, either! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 !!