Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 35mm f1.9 Nikon 35mm f2 AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the MIR-24 2/35 not worthy of comparison?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intereeting this topic should pop up just now.

As I mentioned almost a year ago, I have a 35mm f/1.9 Vivitar as well as a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. The Vivitar is also in Canon FD mount. Back during the 80s, when I was a dedicated Canon FD user, I loved that FL 35mm f/2.5 for its sharpness and color. Having sold off all my Canon FD gear in 1989, I've only recently obtained a replacement for it. I now own a large FD collection (again).

So anyway, I've been thinking seriously about selling my Vivitar 35mm f/1/.9, but before I do, I think I'll compare it to my FL 35mm. Now that I own a NEX, I can compare hi-rez images. If the FL is reasonably close to the Vivitar, the Vivitar goes on eBay. As part of my collection thinning moves.

My copy of the Vivitar 35/1.9 was made during the robust, all-metal era. It is very stoutly made. A nice lens, and I'm rather surprised at the amounts clean examples of it are commanding on eBay these days. I bought mine offf eBay about five years ago. Back then it hadn't been "discovered" yet. I think I paid $40 it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael. Don't sell the Vivitar. Its unique bokeh and low contrast will be very useful in certain situation. You cannot find such quality in your FL 35mm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Calvin. To be honest, I've hardly used the lens. I'll definitely give it a workout before I decide to sell it.

I guess another way to look at it is, for APS-C format, it amounts to a fast normal lens. It's a 52.5mm equivalent.

Heh, the more I think about it, the less interested I become in selling it.