Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 35mm f1.9 Nikon 35mm f2 AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 35mm f1.9 Nikon 35mm f2 AIS Reply with quote

Hi,

I got both of these lenses and I tested them both in the field. Even looking at pictures 1:1 I am having a hard time deciding between them. I can't seem to decide on which to keep and which to sell.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bokeh!
From my experience the Vivitar has overcorrected spherical aberration wideopen at closer distances at least. This gives accentuated bokeh - not smooth. Probably you like this - or not. But I do not know how the Nikon draws bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot pick any differences, then sell the one that will bring the most money and keep the other.
It is the results that count, not the lens that took them.
Happy snaps
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon 35/2 is an underrated lens which I believe will go up in price. The Vivitar has had a following for quite some time. I would keep the Nikon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I did more tests and looked for minute differences. I like the Vivitar Series 1 35mm due to being a 1/3 of a stop faster and being more exotic and rare of a lens. However, I decided to keep the 35mm Nikkor because it has less noise.

Now to do more tests and trim my lenses more!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Vivitar is m42 i am interested in it. Just PM me an
Offer if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 and a Nikkor 35mm f/2. The Vivitar is in Canon FD mount, though, and the Nikkor is a Pre-AI, albeit with a Nikon AI kit. Because the Vivitar is a Canon FD mount lens, I haven't been able to do a decent comparison between the two lenses. I think I may have under appreciated my Vivitar somewhat because I bought it for cheap a few years ago -- like $40 for an almost mint copy. And now you see them on eBay for -- a lot! And because it's an FD lens, that means it gets used with my Canon FD film cameras, which don't get used as often as my DSLR, sad to say. I think the last time I had it out and took some photos with it was on a dreary, foggy winter day shortly after I bought it. I was shooting slides, so the sharpness in the emulsion was there, but the subjects were so dreary and fog-shrouded, I wasn't able to do any serious evaluations with it.

You know what I should do? I have several rolls of Fuji 200 laying around here. I should load a roll in one of my FD Canons and another in one of my Nikons, mount one of the 35mm's to each, and shoot the same subjects with each camera for both rolls. Something to do one of these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Michael.
I look forward to your findings.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I also own a Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 and a Nikkor 35mm f/2. The Vivitar is in Canon FD mount, though, and the Nikkor is a Pre-AI, albeit with a Nikon AI kit. Because the Vivitar is a Canon FD mount lens, I haven't been able to do a decent comparison between the two lenses. I think I may have under appreciated my Vivitar somewhat because I bought it for cheap a few years ago -- like $40 for an almost mint copy. And now you see them on eBay for -- a lot! And because it's an FD lens, that means it gets used with my Canon FD film cameras, which don't get used as often as my DSLR, sad to say. I think the last time I had it out and took some photos with it was on a dreary, foggy winter day shortly after I bought it. I was shooting slides, so the sharpness in the emulsion was there, but the subjects were so dreary and fog-shrouded, I wasn't able to do any serious evaluations with it.

You know what I should do? I have several rolls of Fuji 200 laying around here. I should load a roll in one of my FD Canons and another in one of my Nikons, mount one of the 35mm's to each, and shoot the same subjects with each camera for both rolls. Something to do one of these days.

Or I can save you couple of roll of films and showcase test shots I've done with both lenses. Honestly, the difference between them is minimal till you zoom in to 1:1. The nikon is a tad sharper, but that is about it.

It was actually, I did the test between the Voigtlander 40mm Ultron, Nikon 35m f2, Nikon 35mm f2.5 Series E, and Vivitar 35mm f1.9. You can guess the winner, but I wanted to keep a true 35mm prime so it ended up between the nikon and the vivitar. I probably would trade all 3 35mm for the 35mm f1.4.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Steely wrote:
Offer if you like.

No, it isn't and even if it was, I wouldn't want to sell it internationally. I am living in the Philippines and I dread the cost of shipping this stuff out of the country. The shipping would be substantial and make it not that worth it compared to buying it locally. At least, that is my guess... I never tried shipping out of here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Steely wrote:
Offer if you like.

I do have a bunch of m42 lenses that I use an adapter for on my Nikon d800. If I have a M42 lens for sale, I'll PM you to see if you are interested and if you are willing to have stuff shipped from the Philippines.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
the Vivitar Series 1 35mm due to being a 1/3 of a stop faster

f1.9 is less than a 1/3 stop advantage over f2. Wink

Would like to see a side by side comparison of both lenses at open aperture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vivitar f1.9/35 in M42 but not the Nikkor. I could compare it to Pentax FA f2/35mm ( FF AF lens ) and S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm and slower Re-Auto Topcor f2.8 and Takumar f3.5 35mm lenses, and most easily, that is if digital, only on APS-C

@Sam: I would sell my Viv 1.9/35 in M42. It is in exc. condition as if new from factory ( see: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2756/4037634298_f7cab6075c_z.jpg ) I am thinking of 160 Euro. I see you are in Germany, I am in Austria, sending shouldn't be costly and fast. ( and I am also thinking of selling my S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm, of course also in M42 )

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
maldaye wrote:
the Vivitar Series 1 35mm due to being a 1/3 of a stop faster

f1.9 is less than a 1/3 stop advantage over f2. Wink

Would like to see a side by side comparison of both lenses at open aperture.

All shot wide open.

#1 Nikon 35mm f2

#2 Vivitar Series 1 35mm f1.9

#3 Nikon 35mm f2

#4 Vivitar Series 1 35mm f1.9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hard to decide Smile

The bokeh of nikon at close range is fine, but midrange is poor.
while the vivitar is opposite. Nikon has better contrast wide open, less glow.

I don't have any of these lens, but a few other, and never tried to compare them.
As far, the pentax FA35/2 has AF and always pair with a pentax dslr,
while all others go with nex or canon dslr.

As for fast 35mm, the Samyang 35/1.4 is cheap and *very good*, but size does matter Smile
Almost in size and weight is my old minolta 35/1.8 which looks funny on a nex: long as a tele lens, full metal build.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye you write that your lens is a "Vivitar Series 1 f1.9/35mm". Are you sure that it is a Series 1 lens? I know that e.g. the f1.9/28mm is a Series 1, but is there really a Series 1 f1.9/35mm? Anyway my copy doesn't say "Series 1" but says "Auto-Wide"

@Hoan: you mention the Pentax FA35. Yesterday I did a ( fast and dirty - not good enough to share ) sharpness test incl. my Vivitar f1.9/35mm, S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm and Pentax FA35. I found the FA to be the best performer while the Vivitar and S-M-C ( which supposedly has same optical formula than the FA35? ) are indistinguishable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 35/1.9 series 1 as far as i know.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to the Nikon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
maldaye you write that your lens is a "Vivitar Series 1 f1.9/35mm". Are you sure that it is a Series 1 lens? I know that e.g. the f1.9/28mm is a Series 1, but is there really a Series 1 f1.9/35mm? Anyway my copy doesn't say "Series 1" but says "Auto-Wide"

@Hoan: you mention the Pentax FA35. Yesterday I did a ( fast and dirty - not good enough to share ) sharpness test incl. my Vivitar f1.9/35mm, S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm and Pentax FA35. I found the FA to be the best performer while the Vivitar and S-M-C ( which supposedly has same optical formula than the FA35? ) are indistinguishable.

Faulty memory after reading up on another Vivitar lens. My bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

interesting. i dont have the vivitar, nor takumar, but i do have the pentax K 35f2.0.
not sure if the takumar has the same formula as the pentax K 35/2.

the pentax K 35/2 is a very good lens with superb 3D pop by half click down. bokeh is not so smooth in certain distance.
it is heavier than the FA35/2. the FA35 is better overall, but K35/2 is not far behind.

my fav combination as tourist is: K5+FA35 , nex+heliar 15, when AF is needed,
or nex, heliar, zeiss contax g 35/2 for size and weight.

i have also nikon ais and samyang in 35/1.4, and use the samyang more due to longer focus throw, sharper, better...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
kuuan wrote:

interesting. i dont have the vivitar, nor takumar, but i do have the pentax K 35f2.0.
not sure if the takumar has the same formula as the pentax K 35/2.

the pentax K 35/2 is a very good lens with superb 3D pop by half click down. bokeh is not so smooth in certain distance.
it is heavier than the FA35/2. the FA35 is better overall, but K35/2 is not far behind.

my fav combination as tourist is: K5+FA35 , nex+heliar 15, when AF is needed,
or nex, heliar, zeiss contax g 35/2 for size and weight.

i have also nikon ais and samyang in 35/1.4, and use the samyang more due to longer focus throw, sharper, better...

Are you saying that the samyang 35/1.4 is the best of the lot? it is better tha nikon 35mm f1.4?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to juggle my collection of lenses and decide on the best isn't that easy...
Shots I took that capture the feeling of it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:

Are you saying that the samyang 35/1.4 is the best of the lot? it is better tha nikon 35mm f1.4?

i might have a less good copy of nikon, but very unlikely.
yes, the samyang is better than my nikon ais at f1.4.
the 3D pop of the nikon is not coming out until f2.0.

next for me is to get a distagon zf if fund allowed.
i think i skip the c/y version...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Thanks all!

I did more tests and looked for minute differences. I like the Vivitar Series 1 35mm due to being a 1/3 of a stop faster and being more exotic and rare of a lens. However, I decided to keep the 35mm Nikkor because it has less noise.

Noise is the result of the camera and sensor, not lens.