Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus on NEX 5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus on NEX 5N Reply with quote

After tried the Kiron version of the Vivitar 28mm F2 I sold for few year ago, I am able to find the Komine close focus in good used condition.

My initial impression about this lens is sharp with nice bokeh. At F2, it has the usual little "glow" as found in the Kiron version but the center sharpness already very good. The "glow" is much less significant at F2.8(nearly invisible). At F4, the far corner become acceptable on my 5N. Contrast is not bad IMHO and it is better than the Kiron version. When pointing to the sun, the flare will overall contrast but it is good to create artistic effects.

Photos converted from raw to jpeg with necessary adjustment only on LR 5.2. No adjustment has been made on the colors. All photos taken in Museum of Coastal Defense.

Thanks for viewing! Hopefully the quality is good enough to fit the standard of this forum. Wink

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent I doubt most 28mm f2 lens sharper than this one, congrats! May top lenses bring more details, better contrast etc,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive for a Viv! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those images are impressive indeed.
How close does the "close-focus" lens focus down to?
I have a Kiron Kino version of this 28mm f2 and it has a minimum focus distance of 1ft - 0.3 metres.
Is the Vivitar close focus less than this?
Congratulations - your lens' results are very good.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank all! The out of raw image is not bad in contrast. A contrast boost is needed to make them have acceptable quality as show in these photos.

This lens focus down to 23cm(1:5) which a bit closer than the Kiron version. I sold the Kiron version as it has common oil blade issues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid presentation, i really liked last three.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Thank all! The out of raw image is not bad in contrast. A contrast boost is needed to make them have acceptable quality as show in these photos.

This lens focus down to 23cm(1:5) which a bit closer than the Kiron version. I sold the Kiron version as it has common oil blade issues.

Here is an image from the Kino - Kiron version of this lens.
It is acceptably good and may be on a par with the Komine.
Both are good lenses I think
OH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures! I'd like to understand if the Komine is any better towards the corners than the Kiron version. My Kiron 28mm f2 was very sharp at the centre, but not so good close to corners / edge of the frame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Nice pictures! I'd like to understand if the Komine is any better towards the corners than the Kiron version. My Kiron 28mm f2 was very sharp at the centre, but not so good close to corners / edge of the frame.

My copy of Komine has sharp corners @F8 on my 5N. I think the corner will not be too good when use in FF camera. You need other lens if you want edge to edge sharpness on FF.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know! Which lenses would you recommend then with edge to edge sharpness on full frame?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Thanks for letting me know! Which lenses would you recommend then with edge to edge sharpness on full frame?

No idea. I do not have any experience on FF digital camera. I guess some common and cheap lens like Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 should do the job well?

We have a long thread for best 28mm in the past. http://forum.mflenses.com/your-best-28-and-how-you-got-there-t45236.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a very long forum thread ... I have to find some time to read it. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one. Have had the f/2.8 for years and love it. This one seems even better. All on NEX-5N and all but last one wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the F2.8 on my 5N too and found it is may be even better if you do not need F2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim those Stillleben photos are simply awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like #4 in first post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you distinguish the Kiron and the Komine?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/trio-for-three-third-party-2-28s-t64318.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Thank you, but when I go to the linked page I don't see anything mentioned about which is a Komine or Kiron.
Maybe I am missing something. Question

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Thank you, but when I go to the linked page I don't see anything mentioned about which is a Komine or Kiron.

Komine/Vivitar Close Focus : 49mm filter, Serial 28xxxxxx

Kiron/Vivitar : 55mm filter, Serial 22xxxxxx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
uddhava wrote:

uddhava: It was implied by the Close Focus picture. That is, the Close Focus is often misunderstood as close focus ability, which is relative. Close Focus must be part of the name on the faceplate. Komine serial numbers start with 28, but not all Komine 28mm are Close Focus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Woodrim those Stillleben photos are simply awesome!

I have learned a new word, thank you. Stilleben = still life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I tried the F2.8 on my 5N too and found it is may be even better if you do not need F2.

I will have to make a good comparison. My first reaction to my f/2.8 CF on the NEX-5N was that it seemed better from my A200. This f/2 surprised me because I didn't expect the wide open to be that good. I have not experienced the glow you reported, but I have also not shot in bright light, only setting sun and dim late day window light. Then again, bright light will disqualify shooting at f/2. Might yours have some slight haze? I was fortunate that this lens has come to me in mint condition. I will use it more this weekend and try to compare to the f/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
uddhava wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Komine/Vivitar Close Focus : 49mm filter, Serial 28xxxxxx

Kiron/Vivitar : 55mm filter, Serial 22xxxxxx

Seems like mine is nether although it is closest to the Komine in looks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina with serial starts with "9".
http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm