Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus on NEX 5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Cosina with serial starts with "9".
http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

Thank you. Then mine is made by Cosina.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

And is not Close Focus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
uddhava wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

And is not Close Focus.

Correct, but focuses just as close. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I get to know this lens, I'm shooting more at wide open than I usually do. All of these at f/2 and last is a 100% crop.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flare handling of this lens is not very good. You will discover the loss of contrast at full open if there is stray lights. I check the lens is decently clean.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more wide open at F/2, except last one at f/8 or f/11. I'm quite pleased with its sharpness.

This one is a vertical crop of 1/2 the original horizontal image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens and photos.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 2/28 was one of only four lenses I used during my day trip to Botany Bay. Also NEX-5N.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots with Vivitar 28mm f/2.0 Close Focus, NEX 5N.

Dead and alive

Some kind of (dead) fungus/mushroom on the redwood, covered with mud

Second growth redwood

Fern

Western Hearts-Ease (Violet Tri-color)

Douglas Iris

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the new photos, I would say this is the budget walk around lens for a 1.5/1.6x crop camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
After seeing the new photos, I would say this is the budget walk around lens for a 1.5/1.6x crop camera.

Sadly far from being a budget lens anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes this lens can be found quiet cheap on US especially those 'abandon' mounts like FD, MD etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost me $100, my lens spending limit, and is Minolta mount. I've been a big proponent of the f/2.8 28mm Close Focus and had to grab this one when I saw it. If you don't have an f/2.8 version, consider it. It's just as good or better at distance or when stopped down, but wide open performance isn't quite as good as this f/2 version. I won't be using this much for landscape even though it performs well - I like it for its sharpness and close focus ability, and that extra speed provides for a nicer bokeh.

And although it gets said in every post, I'll say again. The lens must say Close Focus on the front and it was only made by Komine (28 serial number).

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
..............And although it gets said in every post, I'll say again. The lens must say Close Focus on the front and it was only made by Komine (28 serial number).

Thanks for repeating. It finally sunk in, "must say Close Focus on the front ".

I hope I don't forget. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine (f/2.0 Close Focus) 2 years ago from keh.com for $69, in Canon FD mount. I agree that the f/2.8 Close Focus is also very nice.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad!!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my FD version (Close Focus f2) for $55 from fleabay last year. The gent selling it said the aperture was stuck wide open. Ofcause once you added an adapter the aperture worked fine Very Happy Near mint too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted this and noted the PKA mount - perhaps not quite as rare as hens teeeth but certainly not easy to find. So I bid a reasonable amount. Now the comparison with the viv (tokina) 28mm f1.9 I already have. will be interesting.
From the pics so far, I can say that this lens looks better than the 28mm f1.9 wide open: less aberrations specifically, both are already pretty sharp in the centre but fall off away from the image centre, even on apsc.

I was particularly impressed with the beach sign, very little fringing and contrast good even at f2. I took shots of the castle at the range of apertures, only at f8, f11 did the edges really sharpen up to close to the centre.