Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 135mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

I've been meaning to post these for a while.

The Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 T mount preset was my first manual lens, I snarfed it on Ebay because it was cheap and came bundled with an EF adapter Laughing

I gave the Vivitar a fair shake, several really, and it's just plain soft, possibly a bad copy. I picked up a Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 and these lenses aren't in the same ballpark, at all. A shame really, the Viv's 16 curved aperture blades make gorgeous oof areas.

A better hood would help, although the hoodless Tak still smokes the Viv+hood. C'est la vie.

But some shots turned out halfway decent. This was a sunny day in the snow, where shooting handheld telephoto lenses at f/16 is darn easy Very Happy Bumping the contrast helped a lot, they were quite washed out straight ooc.

One day I noticed that the sun was shining in the midst of a flurry so I grabbed the camera (which happened to have the Viv attached). I got some shots of the icicles and snowflakes backlit by the sun, and within a couple of minutes the sun was gone, so I'm glad I didn't stop to hunt for a better lens.

5 100% crop of backlit snowflakes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first portrait is very nice!
The lens does not seem unforgettable...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

The lens does not seem unforgettable...

Very diplomatic! Laughing

I'm shelving it until Christmastime, the perfectly circular highlights will be great for OOF shots of the lights on the tree, houses etc.