Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 100mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said Minolta mount. I'd be tempted to undo the whole mount and screw some other sort of adapter/body cap in its place Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, do you think it is worth it? I am guessing it is a great lens but can't find any sample pics with it here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this about a vivitar 2.8/100 :

http://forum.mflenses.com/anyone-heard-of-vivitar-100-f2-8-non-macro-m42-t35787,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B100+%2B2+%2B8.html

and could be the same as this one :
http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html

If it's like a pentor, look at spotmatic's results... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I found this about a vivitar 2.8/100 :

http://forum.mflenses.com/anyone-heard-of-vivitar-100-f2-8-non-macro-m42-t35787,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B100+%2B2+%2B8.html

and could be the same as this one :
http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html

If it's like a pentor, look at spotmatic's results... Shocked

The first lens mentioned in this thread is indeed similar to the lenses mentioned in these 2 threads. But the second lens mentioned here is different. It is made by Tokina, all others are presumably made by Sun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens with Minolta MC/MD bayonet certainly will not work on a Nikon body.
Different mount and register distance.

Pity that shipping is pricy to Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
A lens with Minolta MC/MD bayonet certainly will not work on a Nikon body.
Different mount and register distance.

Pity that shipping is pricy to Europe.

I just bought a lens from Japan. Now that was pricey. I think to Europe is cheap.

Spoke to a guy here who has been at it for 35 years. He dropped that he by chance has a Vivitar 100 mm f/2.8 that he is now selling. Said it was a very expensive lens back in the day almost $1000 and swears about it's quality.... That should be good news. Yeah, I was being facetious and wistful that the MC/MD would magically become a Nikon. Damn....reality.... Sad. Lol. I am getting more tempted to find a way to use this lens.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly anything works on a Nikon without corrected optics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am getting more tempted to find a way to use this lens.....

You can mount the lens (and lots of other ones) on Sony Nex or use the lens on film with a nice and cheap Minolta body.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this lens for a while and just popped onto my old Canon 5D...basically to get a few pics out of it before selling it...and I like it better than my Nikkor 105/2.5 Sonnar! Build quality is decent...and it really renders pretty! I only shoot pix of my kid nowadays it seems, but this just seems like a nice portrait lens...perhaps I sell the Nikkor...as it will bring somewhat more than this one...

It has an odd serial number: 40xxxxxx...which doesn't seem to match any of the Vivitar schemes out there. It does look like it's the exact same lens as the original poster in this thread.

Some shots of the lens, and by the lens wide open, below.

#8 - this shot is odd as it looks like there is massive dust on the sensor...but it's not there on subsequent shots...I wonder if the incoming light just highlighted some internal lens dust that was perfectly projected onto the sensor...?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amazing quality. I would not be selling a lens like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid photos of the lens. Very unique tone. Nice test samples too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Indeed, I don't think I will be selling it.

The pix of the lens were done on top of vintage cherry furniture in dim incandescent light using an old Canon G2 in macro mode. So the colors were pretty much impossible to white balance!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens with M42 thread mount. It is not a Tokina lens by design or lens coating. The Tokina (Porst, Pentor, Chinon) 100mm lens has a rear glass element that is close to the tube mount, whereas the rear glass element of the Vivitar is receded within the tube at the infinity position, similar to the Tomioka 100mm lens. The lens coating is a blend of cyan and magenta, whereas the Tokina lens features the well-known blue and golden lens coating. Please note the index marker.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser: what you think it is Tokina is in fact SUN. The receded rear element is clearly Tokina serial 37 Vivitar.
I also have bought the same SUN as bellow: Click here to see on Ebay mine M42 serial # starting with 7 and being
the same SUN lens as CHINONFLEX, PORST, PENTOR on link: http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html
It's definitely a great lens, very sharp wide-open. Probably better wide-open then Tomioka which can be seen here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=49746

SUN

Tokina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pancolart and thank you for the clarification. We seem to share the same passion for certain makers and focal lengths Sad
I agree with you that the Chononflex, Porst, Pentor, Sun 100mm lens is a very good lens, and I don't mind to attribute it to Sun, if in fact it is as good as it is. So we can take to the record that the Vivitar serial numbers starting with 40 and 70 refer to Sun as the manufacturer?

We must keep in mind that the omnipresent Tokina brand in early years may be a cloak name for smaller manufacturers operating within the Tokyo metropolitan area, distributing their products through Tokina ("extended work-bench").

Have you had a chance to try out the Tomioka 100mm or how comes that you can say it may be less sharp than the Tokina or Sun?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems we prefer 3x different 3rd party then one time Nikon Wink.
Fujinonuser wrote:
So we can take to the record that the Vivitar serial numbers starting with 40 and 70 refer to Sun as the manufacturer?
Seems so. But numbering system is time related and i doubt it remains the same throughout all Vivitar period.

Fujinonuser wrote:
Have you had a chance to try out the Tomioka 100mm or how comes that you can say it may be less sharp than the Tokina or Sun?
No, not Tomioka. I only forward others opinion, sorry: http://forum.mflenses.com/tomioka-100mm-f2-8-t49746,highlight,+tomioka++2++8++100mm.html

I've tried 2x Tokina and definitely nothing special, quite average. SUN, few samples, all superb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I had forgotten that I had posted to that Tomioka thread myself ... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying this Vivitar Auto 100/2.8, which serial number is 4085373 - so I believe this is "better" Sun-made, but it's curious that it has black metal bayonet (instead metalic) and green numbers sign of metering...

Just look:

Code:
http://i62.tinypic.com/30m20pe.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vjorp5.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/20huh05.jpg

Do you think it's worth 100Euro (about 130$)?

(Something is wrong and I can't post images directly to the post, even hyperlinks doesn't work. I can see them in Preview, but after clicking Submit the cannot be loaded - sorry).[/code]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matteo wrote:
I'm thinking about buying this Vivitar Auto 100/2.8, which serial number is 4085373 - so I believe this is "better" Sun-made, but it's curious that it has black metal bayonet (instead metalic) and green numbers sign of metering...

Just look:

(Something is wrong and I can't post images directly to the post, even hyperlinks doesn't work. I can see them in Preview, but after clicking Submit the cannot be loaded - sorry).[/code]

You can't post images in your first post,it is the forums anti spam feature,and welcome to the forum. Use the img tags for linked images. The price may be a little high, but I do not know the going rate for 100mm lenses on ebay.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matteo wrote:

Yes, it's Sun made lens. The price is very high, you can find this lens under different names much cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Smile I'm new to manual lenses, but it's nice to be there - a lot of interesting discussions Smile

It's an offer from my local-auction site - it's so not listed on ebay. It was listed for a quite long time as a "buy now" for a 115Eur (156$) - with shipping, but I offered 100 Eur (137$) with shipping and seller agreed to my offer. I haven't paid him yet, because I'm still confused if it's worth that money Rolling Eyes

I'm planning to use it with my Samsung NX20 + m42 adapter as a portrait and general tele lens.

Maybe I should wait or search for an other lens? Rolling Eyes

edit: So I understaned correctly from this topic, that Chinonflex/Porst/Pentor/Sun 100mm/2.8 lenses are the same as this Vivitar?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad lens by any means, but 100 Euros sounds high to me. I think I paid under $20 US for my M42 version last year. I believe mine is the same SUN version as the original OP. Here are two pics:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matteo wrote:
So I understaned correctly from this topic, that Chinonflex/Porst/Pentor/Sun 100mm/2.8 lenses are the same as this Vivitar?

Some of them for sure. Now when you know what to look for you can quite easily recognize this lens.
If you will be using this lens on Samsung NX you can search for less usable mounts like Konica, Minolta and Canon FD. Often lenses in these mount cost less.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version of this lens in Hanimar dress, Canon FL mount.

The style of the focus grip was also characteristic of the Miida branded version.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say the truth, exactly that topic and persuaded me to bay Vivitar 100 mm 2,8 for Nikon, when I had been considering it, and searching the Net for information about. Despising even, that I already have had really a lot of that focus lenses in my possession.

However, unfortunately it was not so chip at all - $64. Twisted Evil But.. It was so seducing… Rolling Eyes

There are the very first samples:

Sony a7s, f/2.8 1/60 s; ISO 1250

Tuzki with lens

Last edited by LittleAlex on Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total