Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"the worst lens sold" Soligor 35-140mm ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: "the worst lens sold" Soligor 35-140mm ? Reply with quote

Out of curiosity...

I was reminded about my copy of this lens in the earlier thread http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-c-d-zoomandmacro-3-8-5-3-35-140mm-mc-nikon-mount-t15075.html
At least two members have or have had it and describe it as the 'worst', so I wondered how bad that was. I got it because I wanted the I-S mount but have never used it until now. So
this morning I had a quick shot or two with my copy of this lens to see just how bad, or not, it was.

the Soligor 35-140mm f3.5 two touch macro zoom.
interchangeable I-S multi mount ( also available as G/S )
From the late seventies.
13 Elements in 10 groups
1:3 macro
72mm filter
Weighs 800g

A couple of quotes found via google - Someone liked it... and it wasn't cheap

Art Haykin , Nov 19, 2003; 08:26 a.m.
I have but one Soligor I bought new at dealer's net in the '70's, and used it quite a bit on a K-1000 as a personal lens. It's surprisingly good, and has held up. It's built like a safe, and weighs a "ton." It's a 35-140 f/3.5 Macro Autozoom with a 72mm filter ring. The macro goes down to 1:3. As I recall, it wholesaled for around $300 then.

soligor 35-140 3.5 80 $319 $664 auto zoom, macro g/s

...135/2.0; and 200/2.8. Most were available in screwmount. The finest-performing Soligor zoom was probably their 35-140 f/3.5 macro. Soligor images tend to have a green cast. Paul Franklin Stregevsky

So why so bad?

Well... wide open it really isn't that good - quite soft and lots of SA. Doesn't sharpen up until F8. I haven't tried macro yet so will give that a quick try. I may also try some portraits which may suit the lens.

No reason to keep it though.

Wide open at 35mm setting, Picasa default raw conversion from Orf - no changes. No hood

At 75mm setting (sorry, I moved to the right.. Embarassed)

At 140mm setting

Poster on a door at f3.5, f5.6 and f8 - I had to up the iso on each shot to maintain a shutter speed as these were handheld.

And one more wide open.

And crop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your example doesn't appear to have aged gracefully! I'm curious about the I/S feature. How do you change the mount?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar to a T4 or TX type, but not the same. Pull on a lever, twist to unlock and remove.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mitigation for this lens...

A few close ups and a portrait all shot in 'macro' mode which I think it handles OK. Default conversions again

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like that lens has a nice softness, and that's great for portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How odd.. my Soligor 35-70mm C/D is almost on a par with my lovely Adaptall-2 SP 01A...

I guess it depends on who made what for them..

Any idea who made the 35-70mm f2.5/3.5 macro zoom???

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had this 35-140 but it was in no good condition, thus it's hard for me to judge its performance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe there are no "bad" lenses, just different criteria for assessing them!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "the worst lens sold" Soligor 35-140mm ? Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
At least two members have or have had it and describe it as the 'worst', so I wondered how bad that was.[/img]

It's me who quoted as one of the worst lens ever according to tests i read

Tks for sharing and the pics you sent confirms the tests :" Totally spherical aberration uncorrected lens"

The good point, it that it will makes a good lens for portrait (the soft focus lens uncorrects spherical aberration" if the minimal distance is ok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A silver lining then perhaps. It may indeed make a good portraiture lens, which is something I enjoy, so it may live to fight another day. It's a shame it's such a brick to use though.
I also have a sigma 39-80 with a similar performance which does make a very nice portrait lens. It's macro ring effectively dials in SA with some good effect. It has a very similar finish to the Soligor, which makes me wonder if it has the same pedigree?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:

I also have a sigma 39-80 with a similar performance which does make a very nice portrait lens. It's macro ring effectively dials in SA with some good effect. It has a very similar finish to the Soligor, which makes me wonder if it has the same pedigree?

ABSOLUTELY NOT : the sigma 39/80 was one of the very first standard zoom sold and it was 100% made by sigma

The 35/70 soligor is perhaps (to be confirmed) a samyang manufactured lens (the lock button of the om mount looks like the samyang one )
This lens is 100% sure NOT a Tokina, Not a Sigma , Not A kyomine , Not a Kiron

Last edited by PBFACTS on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35/70 Soligor C/D in my picture is a Konica AR fit not an OM unit?

It does not look like any of my known Samyang samples, indeed it does not resemble any other lens I have (and as my guilty post of today shows, that's a LOT!) lol

Doug.

PBFACTS wrote:
Xpres wrote:

ABSOLUTELY NOT : the sigma 39/80 was one of the very standard zoom sold and it was 100% made by sigma

The 35/70 soligor is perhaps (to be confirmed) a samyang manufactured lens (the lock button of the om mount looks like the samyang one )
This lens is 100% sure NOT a Tokina, Not a Sigma , Not A kyomine , Not a Kiron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the Soligor CD series were made by Tokina, including the 35-70. Impressions, though, are often wrong. How on earth does one find out this sort of thing?
In my earlier post I was in fact comparing the finish of the sigma to the 35-140 Soligor and wondering if that may be a Sigma made lens? I guess we'll never truly know.
Why does this sort of trivia fascinate me?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no idea - but it's contagious as we have all caught it!

lol

Doug.

Xpres wrote:
I was under the impression that the Soligor CD series were made by Tokina, including the 35-70. Impressions, though, are often wrong. How on earth does one find out this sort of thing?
In my earlier post I was in fact comparing the finish of the sigma to the 35-140 Soligor and wondering if that may be a Sigma made lens? I guess we'll never truly know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, have the Soligor SP 35-70...I have no idea who actually manufactured the lens. It's an unusual lens in its rendition, a bit flat in contrast, but incredibly sharp for a zoom with colors tending toward the cool side.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:

The 1st series of soligor c/d lens were ALL manufactured by tokina (28 + 35 + 135 + 200 + 35/105 + 100/300 + 70/220)

Later they were mainly manufactured by sun (ie 28/80 ot 3.5/4.5) and some by some other manufacturers (ie : the 35/70 2.5/3.5)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ha! Thanks Smile

If you don't mind me asking - How do you find out all this info? Is there a big book somewhere? Old catalogues or magazines?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
Ah Ha! Thanks Smile

If you don't mind me asking - How do you find out all this info? Is there a big book somewhere? Old catalogues or magazines?

No pb i'm very interested with lenses technology + my first lens and second lenses were soligor (75/260 & 70/220)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I think I have some info about the 35-70. Most chanced it is produced by unknown Japanese company called Tefnon. I think this company produced also Soligor 70-160/f3.5 and 75-205/f3.5 lenses. This in not an official information but my observation based on the external characteristics of these lenses and their similarity to Tefnon badged 70-162/f3.5. The same lens was sold also under Prinzflex name.

Clarification: I am talking about 2 rings versions of all these lenses. I see now there are also one touch versions of both 35-70/f2.5-3.5 and 70-160/f3.5 lenses.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Hi. I think I have some info about the 35-70. Most chanced it is produced by unknown Japanese company called Tefnon. .

Unfortunatly : as far i know, tefnon is another lens seller (not a manufacturer)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
I am talking about 2 rings versions of all these lenses. I see now there are also one touch versions of both 35-70/f2.5-3.5 and 70-162/f3.5 lenses.

1- I NEVER NEVER see a 1 touch version of the 35/70 2.5 .. Have you a pic ?
2- I received tdy my soligor 35/70 2.5.. Nearly same size than the zuiko 35/105 3.5/4.5 = not small for a 35/70 - and really one stop more open
ps : the soligor 35/70 2.5 i received is not indicated as c/d and has the new soligor logo but apart this detail is exactly same

Last edited by PBFACTS on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

1- I NEVER NEVER see a 2 touch version of the 35/70 2.5 .. Have you a pic ?

There is a picture on the previous page, but here are more of Soligor 35-70/f2.5-3.5:

Soligor 70-160/f3.5:

Prinzflex 70-162/f3.5:

Tefnon 70-162/f3.5:

Sorry, I don't have good pictures of Prinzflex but believe me it looks exactly like Soligor. And I never saw any other picture of the Tefnon but due to the uniqueness of their 70-162 range I believe that Prinzflex=Tefnon.

The Tefnon is a brand of Kobori Mfg., Co., Ltd. - company listed as a member of Japan Camera Industry Association:
http://www.genyosha.com/JCTN/Advertisers/jcia.html

Last edited by dimitrygo on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a recollection of Soligor advertising an association with Sun for some of their C/D zoom lenses. I have four magazines from the 70s in front of me and can't find the ad that I recall! An April 1975 ad in Popular Photography features the C/D 28/2 and also shows 35/2, 200/2.8 55/2.8 macro and 100/2.8 macro. Possibly the 135/2 also. Really tough to tell who made them but the 55/2.8 looks like the common Komine lens that focuses to 1:1 without an extension tube.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
the C/D 28/2 and also shows 35/2, 200/2.8 55/2.8 macro and 100/2.8 macro. Really tough to tell who made them.

The c/d 28/2 + 35/2 + 135/2 + 135/2.8 were ALL made by Tokina (this is the 1st batch of c/d lenses - circa 1976)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PBfacts,

Do you have all that information written down ?

We should araange to post it here or somewhere.