Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlnder 75mm F 2.5 SL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Voigtlnder 75mm F 2.5 SL Reply with quote

samples my new old lens

against the sun

against the sun with water reflections and chair

same chair by night handheld Sad

another night shot handheld

bokeh

f 2,5

f 4

f 5.6

dof at f 8

...dont know where the green colour of the castle wall is coming from in the last shot - it is not in the original file before loading up to mflenses...

it is a very pleasant lens to use, i have some vignetting at f 2.5, but did not yet check, if it is coming from the square sun protection or the lens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say but WOW!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the Bokeh at f2.5 and f4. Gets a little wild beyond that. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos, this lens is on my most wanted list Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a HELIAR lens design and it shows! A great lens indeed, thanks for sharing great pictures!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be surprised, but this lens design has been re-used in a modern autofocus lens: Pentax DA 70/2.4 Limited.

Heliar 75/2.5:

Pentax DA 70/2.4 Ltd:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your comments

Funny part of the story is, that i really didnt expect to get the lens, because theyre sold above 450.- today, just playing in ebay and writing 333.- , which was no risk imo to get and pay for a lens with original sunshade and caps and boxes and i got it surprisingly for 326.-, so now i have to sell some gear to refund afterwards

- the Nikon 105 F4 micro seems to be a similiar design, does somebody know more about this ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der einrahmer wrote:

- the Nikon 105 F4 micro seems to be a similiar design, does somebody know more about this ?

I have it since years and it is a great lens!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
It's a HELIAR lens design and it shows! A great lens indeed, thanks for sharing great pictures!

Stuff and nonsense! Cosina's 75/2.5 Color Heliar has six elements in five groups, is a variation on the double Gauss type. Only one of Cosina's other Color Heliars is remotely a heliar type. See the cross sections at http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm .

The 75/2.5 is a heliar only in the sense that the word Heliar is engraved on it.

The so-called heliar design type has five elements in three groups and in fact covers a number of different layouts. The original Heliar of Harting is (() "|" )( ()) where the "|" indicates the diaphragm's position. The Dynar, also designed by Harting, is ()| )( "|" )() where | not surrounded by "" indicates a flat surface. Eventually all of the lenses that Voigtlaender sold as "Heliar" were Dynar types. In subsequent Voigtlaender patents the diaphragm's position and details such as which surfaces were concave to the diaphragm varied. See http://www.dioptrique.info/base/m/m_voigtlaender.HTM So even before Cosina bought the rights to use the name Heliar was really a trade name, not a design type.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der einrahmer wrote:
thanks for all your comments

Funny part of the story is, that i really didnt expect to get the lens, because theyre sold above 450.- today, just playing in ebay and writing 333.- , which was no risk imo to get and pay for a lens with original sunshade and caps and boxes and i got it surprisingly for 326.-, so now i have to sell some gear to refund afterwards

Congrats for your great find. the IQ is really very good. Would like to see more images with this lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der einrahmer wrote:
the Nikon 105 F4 micro seems to be a similiar design, does somebody know more about this ?

Heres Micro-Nikkor 105/4 lens design. Doesnt look the same to me. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 58mm f/2.4 Takumar, also a Heliar-type lens:

It can be seen that the Heliar is in fact an improved Tessar, by adding an element to the front element of the Tessar:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Stuff and nonsense! Cosina's 75/2.5 Color Heliar has six elements in five groups, is a variation on the double Gauss type. Only one of Cosina's other Color Heliars is remotely a heliar type. See the cross sections at http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm .

The 75/2.5 is a heliar only in the sense that the word Heliar is engraved on it.

The so-called heliar design type has five elements in three groups and in fact covers a number of different layouts. The original Heliar of Harting is (() "|" )( ()) where the "|" indicates the diaphragm's position. The Dynar, also designed by Harting, is ()| )( "|" )() where | not surrounded by "" indicates a flat surface. Eventually all of the lenses that Voigtlaender sold as "Heliar" were Dynar types. In subsequent Voigtlaender patents the diaphragm's position and details such as which surfaces were concave to the diaphragm varied. See http://www.dioptrique.info/base/m/m_voigtlaender.HTM So even before Cosina bought the rights to use the name Heliar was really a trade name, not a design type.

I stand corrected, it is a Dynar design indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
danfromm wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I stand corrected, it is a Dynar design indeed!

Not a Dynar either. Look more closely.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Thanks for that link anyway !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally: It is a Voigtlnder ULTRON based on the double Gauss design, invented by Albrecht Wilhelm Tronnier 1950

and also based on his earlier (1934) own Xenon design (which itself was inspired be H W Lee's OPIC design:

which finally led to the ULTRON:

which has also been "borrowed" in 1957 for the Pentax Takumar f1.8/55mm

(s) Taunusreiter.de

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue of the design and whether the SL version (for SLRs) is identical to the MC version (ie. Leica Thread Mount)...

...but I do know it's a great lens, I have it in Nikon N/Ai-S mount. My only wish is that I had more time to take it out for a walk.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, Ultron is a trade name, not a design type.

Surely you remember the 50/1.8 Ultron for ZI Icarex. This lens' front surface is convex to the diaphragm. I saw an example of this lens in 1970 when I visited Prof. Dr. Brunner's monetary economics seminar at the University of Konstanz; one of the students had an Icarex with one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
it's a great lens, I have it in Nikon N/Ai-S mount. My only wish is that I had more time to take it out for a walk.

Two years (and a D800 and D800E later) I have had sufficient time to walk it around. It paints very nice fingerprint but in the SL series (40/2, 75/2.5, 90/3.5, 125/2.5 and 180/4) I find the two shortest lenses to be the weakest when it comes technical quality of images. It is also prone to an irritating construction problem, itself unscrewing the focusing ring very easily (and subsequently loosening lens assembly). Focusing ring requires glue sooner or later in its lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: ultrons not for unscrewing Reply with quote

And as opposed to this reference of CVs easily coming apart, I have in vain tried to split my concave front Ultron in order to remove dust from the surfaces facing the aperture.

The ZIV Ultron has two setscrews up front but since I have not used brute force, nasty penetrating oils differential heating or other potential vandalism, it does not unscrew.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

It is also prone to an irritating construction problem, itself unscrewing the focusing ring very easily (and subsequently loosening lens assembly). Focusing ring requires glue sooner or later in its lifetime.

That is true, but it is easy to fix.
and the results are very nice. I love my 75/2.5

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One 75/2.5 without hood and box just sold on eBay for EUR 420 + shipping and import duties from Japan. I was 2nd highest bidder, I suspect winner was willing to pay much more than what that lens was worth.

They don't come up too often on eBay, they were manufactured in 2000-2001 and total batch likely is about 2500-3000 spread on various mounts (Nikon mount being most common version).

http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlaender-sl-apo-lanthar-serial-numbers-production-volumes-t24547.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is really small for its focal length, is really sharp straight from wide open, I really like the 3d pop it can
deliver.

The hood is really needed, fortunately I got one.
Now there are some for sale, so maybe this changed in the meanwhile?

I'd advise: Get one while you can!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics are here: http://www.nikonpoint.de/viewtopic.php?t=83544

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:

Stuff and nonsense! Cosina's choose has six elements in five groups, is a variation on the double Gauss type. Only one of Cosina's other Color Heliars is remotely a heliar type.

At the present time I try to choose between Voigtlander 75mm f/2.5 Color Heliar Leica Screw Mount and Voigtlander 75mm f/1.8 Heliar Classic.
The firs is sold for $340, and the second – for $550

But the 75mm f/1.8 is more or less the real “Heliar” optical formula (with the little more advanced middle element, which permitted to enlarge the maximum opening to 1.8, I believe) .

Which means the real “Heliar boceh”. That is quite especial. And 75mm f/2.5 is simply common “double gauss”. Which means nothig especial at the present day.

And, quite surprisingly, looks like 75mm f/1.8 is much better performer also (accordingly to the tests):

https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/548-voigtlander75f25nex?start=1

https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/733-heliar75f18?start=1

However, 75mm f/2.5 has M39 coupling. So, it it able to be used on the my screw Leica. Not the 75mm f/1.8.

So, the choice is little complicate for me. Confused