Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 55 mm lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Which 55 mm lens ? Reply with quote

I'm using 50 mm lens to walk around.

But I like more the 55 mm perspective

Which to have?

I have some in my list

SMC/ST 55/1,8

Auto Mamiya 1,8/55

Auto Rikenon 1,8/55

Auto Chinon 1,7/55

Auto Mamiya/Rikenon/chinon, etc 1,4/55

Please help me

I want a nice bokeh and very sharp lens


PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd better get a Steinheil Quinon 55 f1.9 M42 or Exakta.


PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like very much my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For portraits i like very much rokkor pf 55mm 1.7 , sharp very nice colors and beautifull bokeh. For street photography "walk around" a better coated should do better, depends very much what you want it for, as this rokkor is prone to flare. The SMC pentax k 55mm 1.8 or 2.0 might suit you better,maybe.....


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinon 55mm f1.9 Exakta:




PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Which 55 mm lens ? Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I'm using 50 mm lens to walk around.

But I like more the 55 mm perspective

Which to have?

I have some in my list

SMC/ST 55/1,8

Auto Mamiya 1,8/55

Auto Rikenon 1,8/55

Auto Chinon 1,7/55

Auto Mamiya/Rikenon/chinon, etc 1,4/55

Please help me

I want a nice bokeh and very sharp lens


From your list, I would get the Auto Mamiya 1,8/55 .
I had also the 1.4 version of this lens but found the 1.8 to be better in sharpness and bokeh for my taste.
The RE Auto Topcor is a 58mm (5.8cm) f1.8 and it also is wonderful and cheaper than other Topcors.
And - has been said above - the Takumar/Super-Takumar and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1.8/55 are all splendid too
Tom


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Mamiya sekor 55 1.4 (has the chrome nose) and the rikenon 55 1.4 (all metal knurled grip). The rikenon is much better.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super Takumar, S-M-C Takumar, SMC Takumar, and SMC K 55/1.8 will all do what you want, it's a wonderful lens. Only the coatings have changed through all these updates.
Any particular reason it has to be 55mm?


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He likes 55. Smile

Consider Nikkor 55/1.2! Also Canon FD 55/1.2 SSC.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
He likes 55. Smile

Consider Nikkor 55/1.2! Also Canon FD 55/1.2 SSC.

Yes, and also Auto Revuenon 55mm f1.2
T


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was getting to, was it only 55mm and not 50mm, 52mm, 57mm, 58mm, 60mm, 65mm? There isn't a whole lot of difference between 50mm and 60mm.

FL 55/1.2 would be one of my first choices @55mm, it's cheaper than the FD, there are a few versions of the FD 55.1.2(Silver nose, Silver nose AL, SSC, SSC AL, SSC Aspherical, the AL's are stupid expensive and rare)
I don't think the Nikkor is up to the same level as the Canon's.

For other FL's, Topcor RE 58/1.4 is one of the best IMO.
Here on my NEX-7

Full rez https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8119/8746104633_f94b3e9f9f_o.jpg


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lightshow. The Canon 55mm f/1.2 would be my choice. The FL and the FD both have the same optical formula. Only optical difference is the coating.

I own both the FL 55/1.2 and the FD SSC 55/1.2. The FD is a cool looking lens -- massive too, whereas the FL is lighter and more petite. So if size is a consideration, the FL might be the better way to go.

Canon also made a 55mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical, which was its ultimate normal lens back in the day. It had superior sharpness, especially wide open. When you can find them on eBay, expect to pay a hefty premium for that aspherical technology. But honestly, I don't think the FL and regular SSC FD give up that much. They're both very sharp wide open.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all. Thank you very much. Really.

I had the Canon 55/1 2 SSC and was a great lens.
But so heavy and I never needed the f/1,2 aperture
So I sold IT.

At this moment I did a comparition side by side with my hexanon 50/1 ,7.

With my copies of both lenses, there was no diferences in resolving power at 200% between F/2 8 and F/11.
Slightly more mi microcontrast in hexanon
Canon, more warm colors.

Respect the great Topcor lens, here (Uruguay and Argentina) no one can be find.

About the 55/1,4 the cosinon (cosina made Rikenon?) seems to be the cheapest and good choice in 1,4.

But by now, the SMC 55/2 (the cheapest 1,8 version) is good to me

Why 55 mm?
The 50 is so wide for my, and have 35 mm lens too.
58 is a great fl. I had the minolta 58/1,2 and may be the best normal for me except that flare a lot.

And the price now .......forget it.

So 55 seems to be best Way to me.

Again
Thank for all


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artboy wrote:
Quinon 55mm f1.9 Exakta:




Great lens but where can find one copy???


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 55 mm lens ? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:
I'm using 50 mm lens to walk around.

But I like more the 55 mm perspective

Which to have?

I have some in my list

SMC/ST 55/1,8

Auto Mamiya 1,8/55

Auto Rikenon 1,8/55

Auto Chinon 1,7/55

Auto Mamiya/Rikenon/chinon, etc 1,4/55

Please help me

I want a nice bokeh and very sharp lens


From your list, I would get the Auto Mamiya 1,8/55 .
I had also the 1.4 version of this lens but found the 1.8 to be better in sharpness and bokeh for my taste.
The RE Auto Topcor is a 58mm (5.8cm) f1.8 and it also is wonderful and cheaper than other Topcors.
And - has been said above - the Takumar/Super-Takumar and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1.8/55 are all splendid too
Tom


I like the 1,8 mamiya so much.

But I can afford only the Chrome nose version. So the coated, being an old one, should be less effective than the SMC.

Is it right?


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
First of all. Thank you very much. Really.

I had the Canon 55/1 2 SSC and was a great lens.
But so heavy and I never needed the f/1,2 aperture
So I sold IT.

At this moment I did a comparition side by side with my hexanon 50/1 ,7.

With my copies of both lenses, there was no diferences in resolving power at 200% between F/2 8 and F/11.
Slightly more mi microcontrast in hexanon
Canon, more warm colors.

Respect the great Topcor lens, here (Uruguay and Argentina) no one can be find.

About the 55/1,4 the cosinon (cosina made Rikenon?) seems to be the cheapest and good choice in 1,4.

But by now, the SMC 55/2 (the cheapest 1,8 version) is good to me

Why 55 mm?
The 50 is so wide for my, and have 35 mm lens too.
58 is a great fl. I had the minolta 58/1,2 and may be the best normal for me except that flare a lot.

And the price now .......forget it.

So 55 seems to be best Way to me.

Again
Thank for all

You could buy through the internet an have it shipped, or you may luck out and find a seller that's somewhat local.
Otherwise, you will be limited by what's local, camera shops, pawn shops, local photography forums/clubs, etc....


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ Biotar 58 f2?


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
papasito wrote:
First of all. Thank you very much. Really.

I had the Canon 55/1 2 SSC and was a great lens.
But so heavy and I never needed the f/1,2 aperture
So I sold IT.

At this moment I did a comparition side by side with my hexanon 50/1 ,7.

With my copies of both lenses, there was no diferences in resolving power at 200% between F/2 8 and F/11.
Slightly more mi microcontrast in hexanon
Canon, more warm colors.

Respect the great Topcor lens, here (Uruguay and Argentina) no one can be find.

About the 55/1,4 the cosinon (cosina made Rikenon?) seems to be the cheapest and good choice in 1,4.

But by now, the SMC 55/2 (the cheapest 1,8 version) is good to me

Why 55 mm?
The 50 is so wide for my, and have 35 mm lens too.
58 is a great fl. I had the minolta 58/1,2 and may be the best normal for me except that flare a lot.

And the price now .......forget it.

So 55 seems to be best Way to me.

Again
Thank for all

You could buy through the internet an have it shipped, or you may luck out and find a seller that's somewhat local.
Otherwise, you will be limited by what's local, camera shops, pawn shops, local photography forums/clubs, etc....


Yes, of curse. But the foreing exchange rate doesn't let me do it


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
CZJ Biotar 58 f2?


The Biotar and his Helios version are very good lenses too.
Thank you very much


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Great lens but where can find one copy???


You can find a lot of Quinon 55mm f1.9 on ebay , M42 or Exakta mount, but they are very expensive, avg $200+.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artboy wrote:
papasito wrote:
Great lens but where can find one copy???


You can find a lot of Quinon 55mm f1.9 on ebay , M42 or Exakta mount, but they are very expensive, avg $200+.


Yes, IT is expensive and should be a lot more in my place


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 55 mm lens ? Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I'm using 50 mm lens to walk around.

But I like more the 55 mm perspective

Which to have?

I have some in my list

SMC/ST 55/1,8

Auto Mamiya 1,8/55

Auto Rikenon 1,8/55

Auto Chinon 1,7/55

Auto Mamiya/Rikenon/chinon, etc 1,4/55

Please help me

I want a nice bokeh and very sharp lens



It's pretty hard to make a bad choice. However, if you can sacrifice a little speed & Marco work is important to you, the 55mm 3.5 and 2.8 Nikkors are awesome (up close and @ infinity)--so is the 55mm Komine made lens. The Komine gets to 1:1 macro unassisted & offers half stop aperture selections, but is considerably larger than the Nikkors.

The 55mm 1.8 Auto Takumar (hard to find these days) is excellent
The 55mm Nikkor 1.2 is very nice

Whatever you choose, share a few pics with it here for us. Best jt


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget?

The 1957 standard Takumars come in a variety of 2.4 (Heliar), 2.2 (Gaussian), 2.0 (Sonnar) and 2.0 (Ultron), for your delectation.


Those were the days!


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which 55 mm lens ? Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:
I'm using 50 mm lens to walk around.

But I like more the 55 mm perspective

Which to have?

I have some in my list

SMC/ST 55/1,8

Auto Mamiya 1,8/55

Auto Rikenon 1,8/55

Auto Chinon 1,7/55

Auto Mamiya/Rikenon/chinon, etc 1,4/55

Please help me

I want a nice bokeh and very sharp lens


From your list, I would get the Auto Mamiya 1,8/55 .
I had also the 1.4 version of this lens but found the 1.8 to be better in sharpness and bokeh for my taste.
The RE Auto Topcor is a 58mm (5.8cm) f1.8 and it also is wonderful and cheaper than other Topcors.
And - has been said above - the Takumar/Super-Takumar and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1.8/55 are all splendid too
Tom


I like the 1,8 mamiya so much.

But I can afford only the Chrome nose version. So the coated, being an old one, should be less effective than the SMC.

Is it right?


Older single coated lenses can perform exceptionally well if you are careful where you point them, and are conscious of what the light is doing.
I had the chrome nose Mamiya and it was one of my favourite lenses.
You might also consider the Auto Chinon 1.7/55, Auto Rikenon 1.7/55 and the Auto Revuenon 1.7/55
All are excellent
Tom


PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent and affordable choice is the Petri CC Auto 55mm f1.8. My copy is in M42 mount and is tack sharp from f2.8.