Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 55 mm lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

I have the SX version of it but someone claimed the optical designs changed more over time in the M42 versions than the Herron Mamiya pages show. Mine is sharp at the center though and that SX M42 model was introduced after the short lived ES bayonet version. For a more even distribution of resolution the Topcor RE 58mm 1.8 is recommended. I also have the Canon 55mm 1.2 SSC that covers other tasks. My main standard lens used is the Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 though that also has good edges. All used on FF.

Success, curious what your experience will be.

I agree.
The RE Auto Topcor 1.8/58 is one of the best all round lenses that I have used.
It has a character that includes sharpness, beautiful transition to OOF and beautiful bokeh.
Superb lens that does everything well - a gestalt lens where the total is more than the sum of the parts
Tom

Prone yo flare? Not MC lens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

I have the SX version of it but someone claimed the optical designs changed more over time in the M42 versions than the Herron Mamiya pages show. Mine is sharp at the center though and that SX M42 model was introduced after the short lived ES bayonet version. For a more even distribution of resolution the Topcor RE 58mm 1.8 is recommended. I also have the Canon 55mm 1.2 SSC that covers other tasks. My main standard lens used is the Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 though that also has good edges. All used on FF.

I agree.
The RE Auto Topcor 1.8/58 is one of the best all round lenses that I have used.
It has a character that includes sharpness, beautiful transition to OOF and beautiful bokeh.
Superb lens that does everything well - a gestalt lens where the total is more than the sum of the parts
Tom

Prone yo flare? Not MC lens.

No, not prone to flare. Of course it will flare if pointed at the light but there are thousands of outstanding lenses that will do that.
Use a lens hood or learn how to shoot under difficult lighting - it can be done and becomes second nature after it becomes a part of your shooting technique.
I suppose I have become accustomed to doing all that I can to get the best out of my lenses, and I will avoid flare situations unless it is not possible to do so. Even then, judicious use of shade or make your own with hand or hat or whatever is close by.
Sometimes flare is good, but I tend to avoid it.
Most of the lenses that I have are not MC lenses.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the RE GN Topcor 50/1.4 is the only multicoated Topcor that I know of, or rather that's marked for multicoating.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Only the RE GN Topcor 50/1.4 is the only multicoated Topcor that I know of, or rather that's marked for multicoating.

The 58mm 1.4 Topcon RE lens it's got beautifull coatings also.....cannot say what types,but definetely beautifull. And it isn't either marked on the lens as multi/coated

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GN 1.4 is without doubt a multi-coated lens.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="papasito"]
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

The ES, SX and the last DTL 1,8/55 mm Mamiya lens are 6/5 not 6/4 lens
The test was made of 6/5 lens not 6/4.[/quote

So Herron should add the 6/5 optical design in its DTL lenses listing for the last version of the 55mm 1.8 DTL lens.

BTW an Ultron clone with 3 separate front elements. Like the 99xxxxx serial number Topcor 58mm 1.8 that I alsof have (11xxxxx should be better, one group more, same element number). Right now I'm looking for a salvaged original Ultron of a Voigtlander compact tot directly convert tot FE mountain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
........I suppose I have become accustomed to doing all that I can to get the best out of my lenses, and I will avoid flare situations unless it is not possible to do so. Even then, judicious use of shade or make your own with hand or hat or whatever is close by.
Sometimes flare is good, but I tend to avoid it.
Most of the lenses that I have are not MC lenses.
Tom

All the time that I have taken pics I have did the same than like you do: to avoid flare situations.

But I like more not have this problems and the MC lenses help me in this way.

The best lenses that I had were not MC.
But those lenses un MC Version are better yet