Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adaptall 2 lens cap source suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Adaptall 2 lens cap source suggestions? Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a source for lens caps for the Adaptall 2 lenses? I need caps which will close off the mount end of Adaptall 2 lenses when no adapter is fitted.

Plastic would be just fine and inexpensive wouldn't be so bad either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found a seller of these caps before, so I've always bought cheap mounts that no-one wants with the matching end cap e.g. Canon FD, Minolta MD, Fuji and used them instead Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i face the same problem with my adaptall lenses.
so far, i rip off the rear mount of the cheapest lens.

Last edited by hoanpham on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the same problem with Hexanon rear caps. If anyone found a source of cheap ones let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica / Contax caps kinda fit Konica lenses, but I wouldn't shake them too much!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and minolta md lenses too.

Last edited by hoanpham on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon EF body cap fits the Adaptall mount end perfectly and stays on.

Last edited by Farside on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That's useful to know. I was using C/Y caps as well.

Edit. Dang! I thought EF caps work for Konica.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Thank you, Farside. I will have to pick up a few Canon EF body caps and give 'em a try. What a shame nobody is making Adaptall caps.

Seems as if there is quite a demand!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I usually use Canon FD lens caps. Some work, some don't. The cheaper ones that are for the FD mount, but are not the main name brands (Canon, Tokina) usually work better. It has to do with the width of the securing tabs at the edges of the caps, and wider is not better for this purpose.

If you're feeling rich, KEH often has genuine Adaptall lens caps for about $9 apiece. I have a few of them. They're clear and rather cute, but quite fragile.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glasslover wrote:
Hi!

I usually use Canon FD lens caps. Some work, some don't. The cheaper ones that are for the FD mount, but are not the main name brands (Canon, Tokina) usually work better. It has to do with the width of the securing tabs at the edges of the caps, and wider is not better for this purpose.

If you're feeling rich, KEH often has genuine Adaptall lens caps for about $9 apiece. I have a few of them. They're clear and rather cute, but quite fragile.

Cheers!

Good post. The Canon EF caps appear to run about a buck each including shipping, a lot less if purchased in quantity. Not a bad deal if they work.

Only disadvantage is the "Canon" logo on each cap. I guess, for purists, that logo could be ground off. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glasslover wrote:

That's a good tip - thanks. I've found several that fit fine, though some lenses (especially wide angles) have rear elements that protrude too far for these caps to fit. This problem is even worse with EOS body caps, which are much flatter.

Last edited by heritagecameras on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

It has taken this long, more than one month, for me to receive my Canon EF body cap from Hong Kong, even though the seller shipped very promptly. There is good news and bad news:

The Canon EF body cap does, indeed, fit the Adaptall 2 mount end well . . . . just as you said it would. Very Happy Thanks!!

However

The Canon EF body cap is not sufficiently deep to work as a lens cap (mount end) for some of my Adaptall 2 lenses. It will not work on many of those Adaptall 2 lenses having a lens protrusion.

Can anyone suggest a mount-end cap substitute for the Adaptall 2, similar to the Canon EF body cap, except a bit deeper??

Please?

For anyone wishing to buy the same Canon EF cap I bought, which seems to work well within the aforementioned limitation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iShoot-digital-camera-cap-body-cover-for-Canon-EOS-EF-EF-S-SERIES-dslr-PERFECT-/290715114333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aff89b5d#ht_2803wt_1044

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have more luck with Canon FD rear lens caps, as someone suggested above. These are deeper than EF body caps, but not all fit. When this last came up we checked around a dozen different types, and about a third fitted while the rest didn't. If you're buying these online, perhaps you could order one each from several different suppliers to see if you can find one that works?

In the meantime, for the lenses that won't accept the EF body caps because of protruding rear elements, have you tried focusing the lens to its closest setting? On most prime lenses the whole optical section moves forward, which might give you enough clearance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I had the same problem especially for my Tamron lenses with protruding rear elements. Here is my solution found in my local supermarket - the plastic top from a Johnson & Johnson cotton buds box. It is a perfect fit and won't fall off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar

That's the 100 bud size . . . is that right?

Or is it the 150 bud package?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Edgar

That's the 100 bud size . . . is that right?

Or is it the 150 bud package?

Good question, I don't know as I don't have the box anymore. Take your lens to Tesco's and try both! Wink Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a box of the 100's right beside me and I can tell you that the internal diameter of the main body is 65mm. Then you have the lugs which protrude inside. That should get you on the right track. I'm not the owner of an adaptall 2 lens to try it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braddanman wrote:
I have a box of the 100's right beside me and I can tell you that the internal diameter of the main body is 65mm. Then you have the lugs which protrude inside. That should get you on the right track. I'm not the owner of an adaptall 2 lens to try it out.

That's the one! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible I've finally conjured a (universal) solution to this after more than six months' trying.

First, you can read my last finding in this post:

http://forum.mflenses.com/adaptall-2-lens-cap-source-suggestions-t51534.html#1256682

It only worked for lenses not requiring a deep cap. Sad

First objective here overall is lowest possible cost. I've not been able to beat the US$1 cost for the iShoot Canon EF body caps. Genuine Adaptall rear caps cost a fortune, of course, when you can buy them at all. Also, BTW, the Chinese are all on New Year holiday so deliveries will be significantly delayed for orders placed now.

Anyway, latest iteration commences with one of the $1 iShoot Canon EF caps.

Next choose whatever product works for you, for me its salad dressing, which comes in a plastic bottle having a screw-on cap. The bottle's spout internal diameter must be larger than your lens's rear element external diameter. Remove and set aside the bottle's cap. Cut the spout away from the rest of the bottle leaving a narrow flange at its base. Keep the spout with its flange, discard the remainder of the plastic bottle.

Next, drill a hole into the iShoot cap large enough just to allow the spout threads to pass through. Insert the spout into the cap from the inside, up to the flange. Tighten the (bottle) cap over the protruding spout very tightly. You're done, unless:

If after tightening, the iShoot cap is not tightly trapped, you will have to undo everything and shorten the spout. You want to end up with the iShoot cap trapped tightly between the flange and the bottle cap.

This arrangement will still fit the Adaptall mount end bayonet properly, as prior. But now there will be "headroom" for Adaptall lenses having protruding rear elements.

A disadvantage, as before, is that whereas the genuine Adaptall rear caps are clear plastic, the iShoot cap (modified or not) is opaque. I much prefer the clear, genuine, Tamron caps. I just cannot afford them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution is to just leave the mount on and the correct type of cap for that.

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Am I missing something?

Not at all, unless you don't have enough mounts for all your Tamron lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Am I missing something?

Not at all, unless you don't have enough mounts for all your Tamron lenses. Wink

+100

Roger that!

Mounts (i.e., Adaptall 2 adaptors) cost even more than rear caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I also have only one home Very Happy)

Was I not clear when I stated my search was for a low cost solution?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Mounts (i.e., Adaptall 2 adaptors) cost even more than rear caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much do rear caps cost?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
guardian wrote:

How much do rear caps cost?

That's a tough question because they are not, to my knowledge, routinely available. The number I have in my head is US$10 each. But I know of no suppliers, so it becomes an eBay thing. This means prices can vary with supply and at the whim of the seller.

This is why, earlier in this thread, it was such a help finding the Canon EF body covers for a buck at iShoot. They work well fitting the Adaptall 2 mount end . . . . . except when more depth is needed, and allowing they are opaque which might not appeal to some persons.