Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro via enlarging
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Macro via enlarging Reply with quote

Lenses - that is. I am about to try the bellows/enlarging lens route to macro. Samples I have seen are spectacular and are apparently attributed to the "flat field" design of the enlarging lenses. I managed to get a set of Rodenstock Rodagons (50, 80 and 150mm) for a mere $50. I believe any one sold separately would fetch a lot more than that. Will post samples when I have tried the approach

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Patrick! 50$ for 3 rodagons is a bargain price
I use the rodagons on bellow and it's a lot of fun
I wait your comparison with yours micro nikkors

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , great deal! I look forward your samples!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice buy! Shocked

Can't wait to see some results, Patrick!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh,

I have an APO Rodagon-D enlarging/duplicating lens that I justed started using on bellows with an EOS digital camera. I couldn't be more pleased with the lens for macro photos. It's very sharp and has a good working distance. I imagine you'll like using your new lenses. Congrats on a good buy!

--Geoff

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - it's aways nice to have good company

Sad Sad Smile Smile

patruickh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds dazzling, Patrick, good luck! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try reversing the 50mm as well for the best results at high magnification. I've collected a lot of nice enlarging lenses that I should test. Anyone interested in a comparison of Apo-Rodagon 50/2.8, Apo-Rodagon-N 50/2.8, Apo Componon 45/2.8?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Anyone interested in a comparison of Apo-Rodagon 50/2.8, Apo-Rodagon-N 50/2.8, Apo Componon 45/2.8?

Yeah, send them all Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
dickb wrote:
Anyone interested in a comparison of Apo-Rodagon 50/2.8, Apo-Rodagon-N 50/2.8, Apo Componon 45/2.8?

Yeah, send them all Very Happy

Maybe I should also include my other 50mm, Leitz Focotar 50/4.5, Focotar-2 50/4.5, EL-Nikkor 50/2.8, Tominon 50/4.5, Componar 50/4 (a tiny lens). And stretching it a bit the Nikkor-O 55/1.2. Or reversed standard 50mms, I must have ten, fifteen of those... Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Macro via enlarging Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I managed to get a set of Rodenstock Rodagons (50, 80 and 150mm) for a mere $50.

Congrats, that's a great price!

You might be interested in this:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Maybe I should also include my other 50mm

the 50mm is not the most usable focal
on a bellow you start with 3 cm of extension and it's only good for small objects
to test so much 50mm on bellow is not a great idea
to much work for kind of shots not many are interested
Rodagon N against your best macro is enough
I try a rodagon N from a friend but it was with fungus and performance was not the best
His rodagon 80 N was much better

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any good sites with bellows information (how to use them?)

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I've found so far is...
1. Stick lens on bellows
2. Stick bellows on camera
3. Move it about a bit
4. Take picture

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Are there any good sites with bellows information (how to use them?)

you don't need manual, only practice
my last series of flying bees was with rodagon on bellow
the technique is easy : follow the bee turning the button until in focus then shot

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All I've found so far is...
1. Stick lens on bellows
2. Stick bellows on camera
3. Move it about a bit
4. Take picture "

Thats about it, pretty much. Bellows are 19th-century technology.

And Poilu obviously has some sort of deal with demonic forces, or has signed a blanket agreement with the Apidae modelling agency, which may amount to the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz - what is that? Looks like a tilt/shift adapter.

Poilu - outstanding and inspiring.

Luisalegra - you surely have it right Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, all. I heard that most Enlarging lenses are designed for high magnification rate, it becomes worse if u use them as a normal macro lens. And also I found many photos taken by Enlarging lenses, the quality vary quite a lot from different lense. I found the apo Rodagon seems much better than else, especially in chrome and tone. So i wonder which type of enlarging lens is suit for close up shot, or even as a portrait lens. any suggestion?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexbird wrote:
hi, all. I heard that most Enlarging lenses are designed for high magnification rate, it becomes worse if u use them as a normal macro lens. And also I found many photos taken by Enlarging lenses, the quality vary quite a lot from different lense. I found the apo Rodagon seems much better than else, especially in chrome and tone. So i wonder which type of enlarging lens is suit for close up shot, or even as a portrait lens. any suggestion?

For portrait people generally like larger apertures than enlarger lenses have. Normally 80mm and 100mm enlarger lenses start at f/4 or f/5.6, which would give you more DoF than you might want for a portrait. The only exception I know of in the 80mm range is a Czech 80/2.8 Meogon. If on a crop camera you prefer a 50mm there is a 55/1.9 Computar dL.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every enlarger lens I've tried seems to be perfectly adequate for all work on a DSLR, from infinity to 1:1, though I only have three old ones from the 1950's-60's - two Wollensaks and a Bausch&Lomb. These weren't the top of the line by any means, they did not have the reputation of Schneiders and Rodenstocks.

But if these are good then I don't think you need have any worries about most enlarger lenses.

The standard max aperture for enlargers, for nearly all of them, seems to be 4.5 .