Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax/yashica lenses, ML´s vs Zeiss
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Contax/yashica lenses, ML´s vs Zeiss Reply with quote

Hello,
One year ago my girlfriend bought me a C/Y ML 50/2, which I used for reverse macro shots. Then someonje suggested me to get an adapter for EOS. I the moment I did not take the advice, I had already some M42 lenses and starting again with another mount was an anoyance but at the I bought it.
I am glad I did get it, since I started using it I realiced of its quality and started getting them, quite affordable. Now I have the 24, 28, 35, 50/1.4, 50/1.7 and 50/2
I like them all, sometimes I read that they compare quite well to their zeiss counterparts and read that some of even perform better than the zeiss.
This would be the 28mm in APS-C and the 35mm. Is that true? Is the difference in quality that big to pay the ""zeiss" price premium
I heard that main diferences are colour rendering, ML´s being cooler and zeiss warmer. Also that with some lenses like the 28mm in full frame the zeiss lens keeps sharpness more even across the frame

Some ML´s I would like to get are the 21mm (this one does not sell cheap) and the 55 1.2(never seen one for sale, must be expensive too)

Regards

PD- I have never tried a zeiss Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try one times Zeiss and you will don't have more question why many, many people pay premium price , they are not silly Laughing

Yashica made many nice lenses indeed, none of them reach Zeiss level in my opinion , but some of them close . Like 24mm , 21mm , 28mm also a nice one good as any other Nikon, Takumar etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started from Yashica ML to Zeiss.
... and sooner or later you get there.
But the ML 15 and ML 21 are lenses really close to Zeiss quality at a fraction of cost. Recommended without doubt.
These two will be absolutely keepers.
And once, I will go for the 1,2/55, too Wink

Last edited by MF-addicted on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you go Zeiss , you never go back... Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing more about Zeiss , I did try hundred of lenses, perhaps thousand. Many maker have some stunning lens , but I know only one maker who has all lens is stunning this is Zeiss Contax line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much like Attila said, ML are good lenses, some of them excellent, but Zeiss Contax are a step above.

Regarding the two lenses you mentioned, the ML 28/2.8 is a good lens, but no real competition for the Contax counterpart.
The ML 35/2.8 is on par in performance as the Distagon 2.8/35, but the Distagon 2.8/35 is one of the less exciting Contax lenses. At least, as far as I am concerned.

The best ML lens that I ever used is the 24mm, which is absolutely to keep.

I have never tried the ML 21mm, so I can not judge, but considering the price, it is surely a great buy, because the Distagon 21mm costs 3 times as much.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
One thing more about Zeiss , I did try hundred of lenses, perhaps thousand. Many maker have some stunning lens , but I know only one maker who has all lens is stunning this is Zeiss Contax line.

I kinda agree with this, but you want to eat sometime hot-dogs on the street instead of beef-steak on everyday. Very Happy
Although it is not a good analogy as you notice, but I can't help it.

If you like ML lenses, so be it. However Zeiss lens does have more 3-D look than ML ones in general IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lots of replies. I understand; zeiss is zeiss but for a beguiner like me Yashicas ML´s are a safe bet, also pretty affordable.
I paid 155€ for the 24mm from a member of the forum, that was the most expensive one; then a 28mm for 35€, 35mm 60€(again from a member of the forum), 35€ for the 50 1.7 and 70€ for the 50/1.4 incluiding a yashica FX-D Quartz.

I guess zeiss is better, but if the difference is not that big then either the Zeiss has the brand premium or the ML´s are under rated for some reason.
I would like to get some more of these, the 21mm and 55mm 1.2 are now out of my reach as they are well over 300€ but are on my future wish list. If I have the oportunity to get some of the ML´s macro I will get one too

One Day may get a zeiss lens and then I will have to start all over again but for now the yashicas quallity is over my quallity as a Photographer

Apart from that, what makes zeiss lenses that different? someone mentioned the 3D effect but I guess is overall quallity, sharpness, color, bokeh etc..

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Orio's actions will help.

http://forum.mflenses.com/free-zeissifiers-actions-t20729,highlight,zeissification.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact a goos lens and a stunning one has not much quality difference, same than in other areas of life a luxury car and a good car both are perfectly ok , but they have huge difference in price. We are in lucky ages we can buy many good lenses for little money.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seta666 wrote:
Well, lots of replies. I understand; zeiss is zeiss but for a beguiner like me Yashicas ML´s are a safe bet, also pretty affordable.
I paid 155€ for the 24mm from a member of the forum, that was the most expensive one; then a 28mm for 35€, 35mm 60€(again from a member of the forum), 35€ for the 50 1.7 and 70€ for the 50/1.4 incluiding a yashica FX-D Quartz.
I guess zeiss is better, but if the difference is not that big then either the Zeiss has the brand premium or the ML´s are under rated for some reason.
I would like to get some more of these, the 21mm and 55mm 1.2 are now out of my reach as they are well over 300€ but are on my future wish list. If I have the oportunity to get some of the ML´s macro I will get one too
One Day may get a zeiss lens and then I will have to start all over again but for now the yashicas quallity is over my quallity as a Photographer
Apart from that, what makes zeiss lenses that different? someone mentioned the 3D effect but I guess is overall quallity, sharpness, color, bokeh etc..
Regards

Just so that my thoughts are clear:
the subject was the comparison of ML lenses with Contax lenses. So I said my opinion about this.
And that is where ii begins and ends.

Regarding the photography: I don't think that the lens makes the photographer.
I have seen great photos taken with poor lenses. And poor photos taken with great lenses.

The ML lenses are, as I wrote, in general, and with a few exceptions, a step under the Contax lenses. But, they are still very good lenses, and in the practical use, they will let any photographer (not just you) take great photos. Or otherwise said, they will not stop you from taking great photos.

A great photo is all in what you put in the photo. Not in the lens. Having a great lens makes us lens buffs happier, but that has very little to do with actual photography.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with what you say, Orio
For my needs I think I have a great gear now, and of good quality in a cost/quality ratio. Now I have to make good use of it; I started photography a year ago but in the last few months I have not had enough time for myself; I am also adapting to the full frame thing, coming from APS-C all the focals are a bit different now
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mistake I made in my early days in photography, when I had just discovered the interchangeable lens reflex camera, was to buy a range of lenses, all of low price and pretty average quality, in order to get a spread from wide to telephoto. To me at the time, glass was glass, and very expensive lenses were only status symbols, like having that red dot on your camera.

I bought my first Zeiss lens on a whim, and didn't even mean to. Planar f/1.4 50mm. When I saw the first images from it, I realised how much money I had wasted on cheap and mediocre glass. Instead of buying an assortment of focal lengths and third party low cost offerings, I should have save up and bought one decent lens. The only way you'll be convinced is to buy a Zeiss lens yourself. I've seen the f/1.7 50mm Planar go for as little as £45 (around $60 or so), and at that price, it would be folly not to.

The Yashica ML lenses are excellent, and I have a considerable collection of them, from 21mm to 300mm and most of the zooms. Some of them snap at the heels of their Zeiss cousins, at a fraction of the price. I should add that my discovery of ML lenses was also late. All the same, once you've seen for yourself the capabilities of a lens like the 28mm Distagon, the 50mm Planars, or the 85mm Sonnars, you'll know why people are prepared to pay the premium. Their reputation rests on merit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two yashica ml lenses: 50/2 and 75-150/4. Both are very very nice, and they are very cheap. Tested 50/2 against canon ef 50/1.8 mk 2, and the yashica was way better from wide open, edge to edge. Then I did the same test yashica 50/2 vs pentax M 50/1.4, and the pentax was just so sligtly better from f2 and more closed. This proves it is a hidden gem, since that pentax is a reference, classy lens. I also like its bokeh.
The zoom produced output very similar to the canon efs 55-250, which is a lot to say, given it is much older.
So, I would recommend heartily yashica ml glass, as far as I know. A shame they cannot be used on my pentax.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Canon consumer level lenses are junk so most older primes outperform them. The ef 1.8/50 is a poor example of a fifty prime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed a Contax RX camera with a bunch of lenses for £30 in a charity shop, the camera was unmarked, I didn't even look at the lenses. I paid the money and ran. Laughing
When I got home I found another camera, a Yashica FX-D and ML lenses 28 / 2.8, 50 / 1.7, 135 / 2.8 and 80-200 / 4. It was a strange kit, but the lenses fitted both cameras, and I think the previous owner bought the kit as a considered choice, the accessories were filters for B&W film, the proper cable release for the camera and a nice focusing rail all in a high quality bag. I think he bought the RX as an upgrade to the FX-D and kept the lenses as he was happy with them.
Was I dissapointed at the lack of Zeiss / Contax glass? Maybe a bit ..... Crying or Very sad , but I'm certainly not dissapointed with my Yashica ML glass.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered an FX-D with a ML 35-105 attached. I had one a while back and liked it... Pic below taken with my previous copy on a 167MT, at the Braderie market in Lille about 4 years ago.

[/img]