Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extremely Rare German Lens Edixagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Extremely Rare German Lens Edixagon Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay Yeah, sure. Million dollar question: German or Japan made? 2 Preisvorschläge already given, huh.
Nevertheless it is well crafted lens. I own similar Edixar 1.8/55mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. With enough Yashinon parts from different periods you could probably build one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing here :
Click here to see on Ebay
I have one, I'm going to get rich... Wink
The lens is said to be a Rodenstock Heligon in disguise.
Unfortunately this is probably fake but creates some fantasies in the Far East.
http://www.soupis.com/viewthread.php?tid=25479&extra=&page=1
(for example)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looks like mix of Yashinon DX, Yashinon DS and Chinon barrel parts(sometimes i do the same for fun - most parts of this f/1.7-2.0 lenses interchangeable). And i don't see any "Made in Germany" on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Same thing here :
Click here to see on Ebay
I have one, I'm going to get rich... Wink
The lens is said to be a Rodenstock Heligon in disguise.
Unfortunately this is probably fake but creates some fantasies in the Far East.
http://www.soupis.com/viewthread.php?tid=25479&extra=&page=1
(for example)

I think the lens renders like my Retina S Rodenstock Heligon 1.9/50 but I am not sure who make it. I will perfer the QUINON or SEPTON over the Heligon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful rendition:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=edixagon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess it's for real! As for who built it, I put my money on Mamiya or Yashica.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Well I guess it's for real! As for who built it, I put my money on Mamiya or Yashica.

+1 (=Tomioka)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 paths on the www :

- Rodenstock Heligon 50/2
(why ? very low probability)
(See it on a Kodak Retina II : http://www.flickr.com/photos/73360512@N04/8400216123/in/photostream/ )

- Japanese : It looks like a Yashinon/Tominon 5cm 2
(not really : here's a picture of a Tominon. Isn't it too early for a japanese lens on a german body ?)

- Pancolar 50/2 (similar ring's places on the body of the lens, is it possible ?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Yashinon (Tomioka) is too early version to compare. Maybe it's easier to find it as Mamiya / Sekor F2 or F1.8 M42.

Plastic A/M swith is shaped round but other have it just like Edixagon.

Yashinon-DS 1.9/50mm

Yashinon-DX 1.4/55mm

Check also those topics:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=31605
http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-yashinon-huh-t30375.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=22116
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=10400[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20136/big_403_m2_1.jpg]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand the fuss, it's just a Japanese lens with a fake German name, hardly worth 4.50eu rather than 450!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I really don't understand the fuss, it's just a Japanese lens with a fake German name, hardly worth 4.50eu rather than 450!

The seller can sell the lens for much more if they say it is a rare lens make from well known maker. I cannot see any point a German made lens do not stamp "Made in Germany" if they are made in Germany.

The coating of this lens is different from my Heligon with pale orange/violet reflection. I agrees this lens is very similar to the Mamiya/Sekor 50mm which is very good 50mm.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Your Yashinon (Tomioka) is too early version to compare. Maybe it's easier to find it as Mamiya / Sekor F2 or F1.8 M42.

It's not Tomioka at all. It's Cosina.
Tomioka-made Mamiya-Sekor looks like this:

It much smaller(Cosina barrel unified for f/2 - f/1.4 lenses) and different design.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain the lens is related to Mamiya. If you compare the results from the Edixagon to the results from a Mamiya Sekor 2/50, they are indistinguishable. I don't believe it is related to the Yashinon 2/50, as the bokeh is noticeably different between the two.

I don't think there is any chance it could be German. When ISCO withdrew from the M42 market it left Edixa without a low cost lens supplier. Schacht was already gone, as was Steinheil. Aside from not looking like any Rodenstock product that I know of, why would Edixa go to Rodenstock for a cheap lens? They already had the Schneider Xenon for the top of the line lens. Regula was stuck in the same situation and they turned to Cosina to make the Regulon 1.8/50 for them. It seems pretty reasonable that Edixa also went to Japan looking for a good cheap lens at the same time. And let us not forget the Japanese made Exaktar and "pancolar" 2/50 of the same era.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I'm fairly certain the lens is related to Mamiya. If you compare the results from the Edixagon to the results from a Mamiya Sekor 2/50, they are indistinguishable. I don't believe it is related to the Yashinon 2/50, as the bokeh is noticeably different between the two.

I don't think there is any chance it could be German. When ISCO withdrew from the M42 market it left Edixa without a low cost lens supplier. Schacht was already gone, as was Steinheil. Aside from not looking like any Rodenstock product that I know of, why would Edixa go to Rodenstock for a cheap lens? They already had the Schneider Xenon for the top of the line lens. Regula was stuck in the same situation and they turned to Cosina to make the Regulon 1.8/50 for them. It seems pretty reasonable that Edixa also went to Japan looking for a good cheap lens at the same time. And let us not forget the Japanese made Exaktar and "pancolar" 2/50 of the same era.

Nice to hear you.
I'll try to come back with pictures Mamiya/Sekor (f1.4 I don't have f2) / Edixagon / Pancolar
Can we date the lens in 1968 ?
Sylvain Halgand shows it here on a 1968 camera (Prismaflex LTL), and I got mine on a Prismat TTL(edit), camera of the same year.
http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/page_standard.php?id_appareil=1471

Last edited by Phenix jc on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about rare Wirgin Edixa lenses see Edixar 1.8/55mm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDIXA-MAT-REFLEX-Mod-C-L-M42-Edixar-1-8-55-FINDER-Good-Condition-/260980033419

One possible explanation: lens production was partially transferred to Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 EDIXAR 55/1.8

#2 EDIXA 50/1.8

This last one seems undoubtedly Japanese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why this stuff is so rare is simply that almost nobody wanted it when it was new, with a reason.
That's true for other 60's German stuff too.
Go for a good Takumar. Better in terms of optics, mechanics, size and (small) price Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:
The reason why this stuff is so rare is simply that almost nobody wanted it when it was new, with a reason.
Go for a good Takumar. Better in terms of optics, mechanics, size and (small) price Very Happy

50 years after the victory of the Japanese photographic industry, collectors give a revenge to the 60's German stuff Wink
(and probably asian collectors...)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

Nice to hear you.
I'll try to come back with pictures Mamiya/Sekor (f1.4 I don't have f2) / Edixagon / Pancolar
Sylvain Halgand shows it here on a 1968 camera (Prismaflex LTL), and I got mine on a Prismat TTL(edit), camera of the same year.

IMHO it doesn't look like a Mamiya. The Pancolar is not the opposite.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:

Compare the rear of the lenses. While Mamiya (possibly Tomioka) is nearly the same as Edixagon, they have nothing to do with Pancolar. Moreover given Pancolar is IMHO quite older.

nukemall wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

It's not Tomioka at all. It's Cosina.

No. See Cosina own product bellow. If you serviced it you know it's made clumsier then Mamiya / Tomioka / Yashinon.

Cosinon Edixa lens above was probably used on Wirgin Edixa SLR successors made by COSINA (EDIXA TL bellow).

While Mamiya (possibly Tomioka) made lenses like Edixagon & Edixar were used on Wirgin genuine Germany made SLR cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:

I agree, there are loads of very good lenses that don't carry the price premium.

It just seems ludicrous to me, 'hey look at my Cosina lens that cost me 10x as much because it has a fake German name ring on it'.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Phenix jc wrote:

You have a German made Pancolar. There was a Japanese made "Pancolar" that appeared in the late 1960s, which more frequently appears with the name Exaktar on it. That was the lens I was referring to, not to the genuine German Pancolar. Edit: more on this lens here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=54454

The Edixagon lens appears around the same time, which is not surprising considering the way German lens makers were going in that era.

As for the other Edixa lens, Edixar, etc. they may postdate Edixa camera production. The Edixa name, like the Miranda name was used on products for years after the original company called it quits.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Compare the rear of the lenses. While Mamiya (possibly Tomioka) is nearly the same as Edixagon, they have nothing to do with Pancolar. Moreover given Pancolar is IMHO quite older.
(...)
While Mamiya (possibly Tomioka) made lenses like Edixagon & Edixar were used on Wirgin genuine Germany made SLR cameras.
Pancolart wrote:

Plastic A/M swith is shaped round but other have it just like Edixagon.

Yashinon-DS 1.9/50mm

© Sylvain Halgand :

Yes Pancolart, you were and are right, the rear is similar.
(the front and the "feeling" is not)
(the rear of the Pancolar is obviously different, rare Primotar style)

So the new trail is now for a Japanese Tomioka.

The sound "on" and not "ar", may be a sign of a better level of performance, as is the case with Schneider-Kreuznach.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing which has been pointed out elsewhere, German made lenses for the Edixa always retain their own branding, but with an edixa prefix. Edixa-Xenon, Edixa-Travelon, Edixa-Quinon, Edixa-Westromat, etc.

There is also something interesting to consider, that while outwardly the Edixagon shows some minor differences to major brand Japanese lenses - the differences between the Edixagon and German lenses of the same era are much more noticeable and basic.