Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My latest Frankenstein lens experiment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: My latest Frankenstein lens experiment Reply with quote

Just a picture of my latest unusual combo:

I'll post what it is exactly later, first I'll give you an opportunity to guess. If anyone can figure it out correctly, I'll be impressed. And maybe I'll tell you to get out more - which is exactly what I'm going to do right now, hunting for subjects with the shown combination..

I'm fond of trying weird combinations. For instance, I can tell you that when you put two crt-nikkor 55/1.2 back-to-back you're rewarded with oceans of CA..

Dick

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like for me as a reversed mount lens elements from a nght vision stuff or maybe a video camcoder...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dickb said, or possibly reversed Tair 300mm/some version of Novoflex.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
As Dickb said, or possibly reversed Tair 300mm/some version of Novoflex.

Nice catch !

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Pigriff-C for sure, I'd guess with some enlarging or projection lens bunged in it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lives!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHOTOSHOOTING AND HUNTING - PHOTOHUNTING ???

Is there a Visier inside, a cross to hit the target?

You get troubles by entering a airplane, i am sure!

Wink

regards Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
It's a Pigriff-C for sure, I'd guess with some enlarging or projection lens bunged in it.

Quite a few knowledgable folk around here. It's a Novoflex Pi(stolen)Griff, and normally you would mount an appropriate lens head using the bayonet mount. Internally there is a light baffle which happens to be threaded, 58mm diameter to be exact. So I reverse-mounted an enlarging lens, a Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 4/150 to be precise, with a male/male 55mm ring and a 58/55 stepdown ring. In this fashion the PiGriff acts like a large variable extension tube. Apart from the squeezeable focus it has a draw tube, so the total extension varies from 24 cm to 35 cm.

This configuration looks rather uzi-like, with its original lens head (a Leitz Telyt 560/6.8 in my case) it's more grenade launcher like. Both attract odd looks from the general public..

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a result from this contraption with a 30d:

The total extension is somewhat extreme to use with a 150mm lens. So next on my list is figuring out how to combine the PiGriff with my Novoflex Eos-Retro, to turn it into a giant automatic extension ring for my Sigma apo tele macro 400/5.6...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the combination Novoflex PiGriff and Novoflex Eos-retro is possible:

For those of you fascinated by adapter rings, the sequence of rings used is:

eos-retro (EF bayonet male - male 58mm)
female 58mm/female 58mm
58mm/52mm step down
reverse ring 52mm/m42
m42 female/m42 female
m42/T2 adapter
T2/Nikon F reverse adapter
Novoflex NikA ring
PiGriff
58mm/55mm male/male
55mm spacer
55mm/58mm step up
eos-retro (female 58mm - EF bayonet female)

In combination with a 400mm apo tele macro lens from Sigma this yields nice magnifications with extremely long working distances and considerable light loss. A quick and dirty example (not my normal style of macrophotography):

Maybe I should try it with my Nikkor-Q 400/4.5 instead..

Walking around with this combo it does resemble a heavy machine gun (mg42) - must be all the war movies this time of year..