Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 100 f/2, 5D MkII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 100 f/2, 5D MkII Reply with quote

I'd been waiting for this moment so long..!

IRREGULAR shooting again -- lens simply held in my hand and focusing by moving myself Smile -

One little innovation - I blocked the aperture mechanism to set the aperture at different stops - not only wide open ..

The lens definitely has a little coma wide open but nothing to be worried about --

Stopped down f/4 onwards - it's superb..

The main benefit of this lens is propably bokeh .. CA also very well controlled ...

#1 - wide open

#2 - wide open

#3 - wide open

#4 - wide open

Last edited by trifox on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those colour at flowers photos are amazing! Also that portrait is very good. Such pretty glass.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! superb portrait & superb series, great colors & bokeh!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots Stan!
Great colours&sharpness&contrast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I am so happy!! I would say that this lens is so good!

Absolutely easy to manipulate ...

Here's the beauty! It's so NICE and SMALL! only 445g !

tf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice very nice... a new version... maybe you switch on manual FD bodies Very Happy if I am not wrong it isn't your first FD glass.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
Nice very nice... a new version... maybe you switch on manual FD bodies Very Happy if I am not wrong it isn't your first FD glass.

yes -- I was thinking about to get some FD body Smile

regarding FD lenses -- yes, I have got already some of them and I hope that I am finishing my FD bunch soon Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; I would have expected the lens much bigger! The samples look superb too, so here's one on the lookout for this lens Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend it, Peter.

The f=100 is SO VERSATILE .. long enough but with just minimum distance 1m ..

excellent focal length for snaps - ...

I considered to get this lens after looking at one picture - it was BW portrait on film -- it was great moment!

It took me 4 months to get it -- considering price as well..

and .. there's been an accident on WED Smile you know ..

tf

Last edited by trifox on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stan,

when I saw your images I really thought why I bought so much different adapters.

Your results are unbelievable with this technique .... really unbelievable.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf!

But I MUST say BIG thanks to Spotmatic = Peter .. Very Happy

He just wrote some post with his FD 85 f1.2 SSC ASPH .. where he mentioned how the lens was held by him to take some shots ..

After this post, I said to myself - hold on!
Any FD lens will be tested in this way.. and if it's OK and I love it .. it will undergo the surgery - conversion Smile

So, basically -- thanks to Spotmatic ..

another thing is how the FD fits into EF mount -- it works great because the outer FD diameter fits very well in EF mount!

One HUGE PAIN is -- focusing -- you must just estimate and then move - back or forward Smile but it's A FUN!! Smile

tf

Last edited by trifox on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

yes -- I was thinking about to get some FD body Smile

regarding FD lenses -- yes, I have got already some of them and I hope that I am finishing my FD bunch soon Smile

tf

now I reconsidering nikon F mount or canon FD mount... maybe to future ... can't say which glasses are better but about bodies Nikon manuals looks better mainly in top shutter but this word touches new thread so forget about it.
Only one point that this samples moving me on FD side =)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another advatnage of holding the lens is that you can do the tilt/shift trick Wink

I used to have the EF 100/2, the images looked different from these, much less contrasted. Did you increase contrast or is it at default level?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - this is my standard process (like applied on Zeiss shots)

and in this case, I added contrast a little little bit less against Zeiss pictures Surprised or at the same level at least.

I use this profile in my camera:

SHARPNESS = 1
CONTRAST = -4 (the lowest possible level)
SATURATION = -2
COLOR TONE = 0

I use this profile in 99.99 per cent pictures - let's say - ALWAYS.

So, the conclusion is: the lens has really great contrast.
All adjustments are being done in LightRoom in my standard way...

tf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing such fantastic work with the FD lenses that the price of them is going to start going up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hand held these? Shocked 3, 4 and 11 are simply breathtaking Shocked I might have to try the same with some of my non-fitting lenses.

BTW, this looks a great lens!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Orio - this is my standard process (like applied on Zeiss shots)

and in this case, I added contrast a little little bit less against Zeiss pictures Surprised or at the same level at least.

I use this profile in my camera:

SHARPNESS = 1
CONTRAST = -4 (the lowest possible level)
SATURATION = -2
COLOR TONE = 0

I use this profile in 99.99 per cent pictures - let's say - ALWAYS.

So, the conclusion is: the lens has really great contrast.
All adjustments are being done in LightRoom in my standard way...

tf

I love my Contax 100/2 but am curious about the FD 100/2 for its portability. I must say I'm quite surprised to read that these wonderful photos were taken with Contrast -4 and Saturation -2. Is the FD really so contrasty by itself?

When I used my Contax 100/2 with my NEX-7 via Speed Booster, I took the following photo. I don't remember the settings exactly but I believe it was the somewhat contrasty Standard setting.

When I had the 6D and used my other Contax lenses (but not the 100/2), I dialed down contrast to -3 and saturation +2. Generally the Contax lenses were much more low-contrast than the FD 100/2 photos above (I prefer low contrast).

Are FD lenses generally more contrast-y than Contax Zeiss lenses?

100% center crop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find this post, could you please share a link?

trifox wrote:
Thanks Rolf!

But I MUST say BIG thanks to Spotmatic = Peter .. Very Happy

He just wrote some post with his FD 85 f1.2 SSC ASPH .. where he mentioned how the lens was held by him to take some shots ..

After this post, I said to myself - hold on!
Any FD lens will be tested in this way.. and if it's OK and I love it .. it will undergo the surgery - conversion Smile

So, basically -- thanks to Spotmatic ..

another thing is how the FD fits into EF mount -- it works great because the outer FD diameter fits very well in EF mount!

One HUGE PAIN is -- focusing -- you must just estimate and then move - back or forward Smile but it's A FUN!! Smile

tf