Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 24H 35mm f2 (Nikon mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Mir 24H 35mm f2 (Nikon mount) Reply with quote

Does anyone have one of these? Mine came this morning (well, it has been almost two months since I bought a lens!). I like my Mir 1B 37mm very much so am hoping this lens will be as good or better. Anyone have any pictures to share?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in my to-get-list Wink
There was a discussion not long ago.
http://forum.mflenses.com/fast-normal-lens-for-pentax-dslr-wide-for-35mm-t6890,highlight,mir+24m.html
Go to the bottom of the first page and next.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you! Missed this thread...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one. Performance is pretty much up there with Nikon 35/2. I posted close up comparisons of the two in lens testing a while backand theres the odd shot in the Gallery _ I think the thread was a Sunday walk around Faversham or similar.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and if a tiny desaturated 1600 ISO picture is any help look to your left...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is pretty hard to find in the M42 mount. Can this lens be used with a nikon to EOS adapter I shoot Canon and was thinking about pickng up this lens

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pressureworld wrote:
This lens is pretty hard to find in the M42 mount. Can this lens be used with a nikon to EOS adapter I shoot Canon and was thinking about pickng up this lens

Certainly Smile Orio uses a 24H on his Canons

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: I love this lens! Reply with quote

Got a chance to try my new Mir 24H last week. It has instantly become one of my favourite lenses. Great black and white:

Lovely colours:

And, most importanty, it does cat photos just fine Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife gave this lens as a present to me.
The results are stunning. Low light capabilites are suberb. It even focuses close enough for general macro work. Last weekend it was the only lens I brought with me and I never missed my zoom lens.

All I wanted was a a normal lens with a wide aperture for my DSLR but current picks like sigma 30mm f1.4 is not what I wanted. 35mm is okay for 50mm prime lens equvalent on DSLR and f2 is more than enough for me.

After It is given to me I immediately modified it with cpu from an old 50mm f1.8 AF Nikkor and now it works flawlessly on my D70s with -2 exposure compensation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell what is the difference between Mir-24H and Mir-24M?
Is it much better than Mir-37B (the latest version)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voe wrote:

MIR-24N is Nikon mount and made in Arsenal factory
MIR-24M is M42 mount and made in LZOS factory

voe wrote:

MIR-37B?
Do you mean the MIR-1 or MIR-1B perhaps?
if so
Yes, it's faster and it's better under all respects in my opinion.
(It is also multicoated while the MIR-1 and MIR-1B are not)

If instead you mean the MIR-36B, I don't think that the lenses are comparable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
voe wrote:

MIR-24N is Nikon mount and made in Arsenal factory
MIR-24M is M42 mount and made in LZOS factory

voe wrote:

MIR-37B?
Do you mean the MIR-1 or MIR-1B perhaps?
if so
Yes, it's faster and it's better under all respects in my opinion.
(It is also multicoated while the MIR-1 and MIR-1B are not)

If instead you mean the MIR-36B, I don't think that the lenses are comparable.

Yes, actually I meant Mir-1B which is a 37mm f/2.8.
I am dissapointed by this lens, at least my copy resolve details pretty badly. The build quality looks very good though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir-1 on EOS 5D, stoped down @ f:8 ? (don't remember) :

http://flor27.free.fr/forums/mir_1/IMG_6023_.JPG

Other samples here : http://flor27.free.fr/forums/mir_1/

Is my copy better than yours ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through all the samples. Your copy is so much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1B too - flares easily, but it's sharp enough for me:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian colors ! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voe wrote:
Is it much better than Mir-1B (the latest version)?

I prefer using the 24M over the 1B but I wouldn't say it is MUCH better. It has a slightly better resolution than the 1B IMO, it focusses much more closely and it sharpens up at a wider aperture. On an M42 camera the 24M has the auto diaphragm with pin and A-M switch, but on any other camera it becomes a stop-down lens and I much prefer using the 1B with its preset aperture, especially on the Canon DSLR.

I've heard of several 1Bs with poor IQ like yours. Maybe there was poor quality control in the factory, or maybe someone dismantled it and didn't centre an element properly/put one back the wrong way round. Does it look as though it's been opened?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

I've heard of several 1Bs with poor IQ like yours.

In my opinion, the MIR-1 (earlier version, aluminium finish) is better quality than the MIR-1V. Probably a matter of materials and of building care.
I have had two copies of MIR-1, I sold one to Andy, and I am keeping the other. Both are better than the one MIR-1V I have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
voe wrote:
Is it much better than Mir-1B (the latest version)?

I prefer using the 24M over the 1B but I wouldn't say it is MUCH better. It has a slightly better resolution than the 1B IMO, it focusses much more closely and it sharpens up at a wider aperture. On an M42 camera the 24M has the auto diaphragm with pin and A-M switch, but on any other camera it becomes a stop-down lens and I much prefer using the 1B with its preset aperture, especially on the Canon DSLR.

I've heard of several 1Bs with poor IQ like yours. Maybe there was poor quality control in the factory, or maybe someone dismantled it and didn't centre an element properly/put one back the wrong way round. Does it look as though it's been opened?

No the lens looks like new the glass is perfectly clear the barrel is in new condition.
Maybe the old Mir-1 was made in a different factory than the new Mir-1V.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voe wrote:

No the lens looks like new the glass is perfectly clear the barrel is in new condition.

It's not only a matter of the factory but also a matter of quality of the materials and quality of the build.
Generally, with the decades, the Eastern European production (Soviet, but also that of Carl Zeiss Jena) became less and less good because of economical difficulties. Of course it is not like that for all lenses and in all cases, but it was a general trend. Of course things like multi-coating made some of the newer lenses better, but if you compare the solidity and materials of the barrel in a 50s Jena or Soviet lens, with that of a lens made in the Seventies or Eighties, you can easily see that the later lenses have poorer build. Same for the quality of mechanical parts such as the aperture blades or ring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voe wrote:

As far as I can judge, both versions were made by several factories. My lens is marked MИP-1B N87005431 and has the older "bow and arrow" logo of the Vologda factory. I've also seen them with the ZOMZ logo from Zagorsk, and an automatic version made by Zavod Arsenal at Kiev.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
voe wrote:

As far as I can judge, both versions were made by several factories. My lens is marked MИP-1B N87005431 and has the older "bow and arrow" logo of the Vologda factory. I've also seen them with the ZOMZ logo from Zagorsk, and an automatic version made by Zavod Arsenal at Kiev.

I found a web site listing the logos of all the soviet cameras and I found that mine is made by Vologda.
This is the web site:
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/logos/

The bottom logo is the one on my lens:

Yesterday on eBay I won this one for $20USD:

According to the above mentioned web site it is made by ZOMZ.

Before I sell any of them I will do some tests to see how they compare and will post the results here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks nice, and a nice price too. Smile This is the M39 version I think, it's likely to be a lot better than the black M42 from what I've heard. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: More Mir cat loveliness Reply with quote

One month later, and this has become my favourite lens, nice in colour:

But, I think, even better in black and white:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Your lens is younger than my Mir-1 which is from 72' from ZOMZ factory :

http://www.trypode.net/photos/bievres/mir-1_on_5d.jpg