Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first hour with Nex-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: My first hour with Nex-3 Reply with quote

These are the first photos that I took yesterday with the Nex-3 that I bought from Carsten (Lucispictor).
The lenses used are detailed on each photo. All files are Raw developed in Lightroom 5.2 :

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha orio got a Nex, i wonder what exotic lenses Orio will get along with it, the little zeiss looks amazing on here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss lenses did a good job indeed.

But you, my friend, make that "old lady" (=NEX-3) shine! Great touch in PP as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional looking, impressive quality for sure Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the nexers Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys!
This camera has been a positive surprise. I was doubtful about it, because a lot of the 100% crops that I saw which
were taken with Nex cameras were hugely over-sharpened, with obvious artifacts and posterization.
So I was afraid that there was some kind of unavoidable in-camera processing. But after seeing the first RAWs I took,
I saw that there is nothing at all of that: the files are perfectly natural. No oversharpening at all!
So that problem was the users' fault, or, camera's jpg settings. Either of that, or both.
Anyway, later when I come back home I will post some 100% crops that will maybe make some other people change mind.

I had to work a lot to get the colours right, particularly the yellows and greens. Today, I will profile the camera
with Color Checker Passport, I am confident that this will fix the colours problem as it already did with the Leica M9.

So far the only thing I'm not completely happy about is the auto white balance, which is unreliable (it can shift even by 1000-1500
Kelvin degrees depending on what you have in the frame). No big deal however since I always shoot RAW.

One thing I'd like to figure out is if there's a way to access exposure compensation on the fly, without having to enter the Menu.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a 3, but, in 5 and 5n you can configure some quick button and assign what your preferred setting on it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, wonderful results from then NEX, you did in one our better photography than some of us can do in... well, much more time. Wink

About exposure compensation, on the 5 it's down and rotate (I think, I do it subconciously), I'm not sure if it's the same on 3 or not...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, no matter which camera you use, the results are always superb!.
Welcome to the mirrorless world Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great performance from the camera, lenses and especially the photographer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers my friends!
I have created some camera profiles - I will share them freely with you.
The profiles improve the rendering (of reds especially), and make overall colour fine tuning (which is always better to make)
simpler and faster.
Here's a example of a photo you already saw, on the left using the "Camera standard" profile, on the right using my
"Open Shadow" profile. All other parameters (white balance, tone, saturation etc.) are identical between the two files:

_______

The highlights now look much more natural (it was warm colour sunlight) and less "digital".
Also the colour of the leaves are more realistic (they were yellowing leaves, with the camera standard profile they look like summer leaves).
And the planetree bark regains it's natural brown tone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing results, Orio, congrats! Your talent and skill plus the Zeiss certainly elevated the NEX-3, for sure. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, I am shortly going out now with the Industar 3.5/50, so we'll see how I do with a less titled lens Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding colour profiles for various Sony cameras, Maurizio Piraccini is your best friend in the whole wide world: http://www.piraccini.net/2011/02/profili-colore-sony-a900-per-adobe-lr.html Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely results Orio, the Biogons just shine in your hands!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Bill, I am shortly going out now with the Industar 3.5/50, so we'll see how I do with a less titled lens Smile

Looking forward to seeing those, since I have the same lens. Smile BTW, what color did you get? I'm sure Ian will agree with me the red
has the most personality, lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys Smile Bill, I would have loved that Ferrari-like red! But I bought the camera from Carsten
http://forum.mflenses.com/selling-my-complete-sony-nex-collection-t61535.html
so I could not choose the colour. Black is fine though. I am happy it isn't that terrible silver-gray.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that silver-gray would be my last choice, too. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is a brownish leather case, just in case the black becomes too boring. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
And there is a brownish leather case, just in case the black becomes too boring. Wink

Yes Smile But I am only worried by the risk of boring photos Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Industar pictures. I had to post-process them quite extensively in order to make them stand better the (unfair) comparison with the ZM lenses:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still they look very nice. The little NEX and you seem to be on good terms, Orio!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
And still they look very nice. The little NEX and you seem to be on good terms, Orio!

Thanks Carsten Smile
Well, you know: any coal mine is a coal mine. Once you are a miner in one... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , hey welcome in Club! Smile Great pictures, don't forget LCD viewer available for peanuts on Ebay and great help vs rear LCD focusing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hey , hey welcome in Club! Smile Great pictures, don't forget LCD viewer available for peanuts on Ebay and great help vs rear LCD focusing.

Thanks Attila. Could you please link to one?