Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advice - Fungus infection during shipping procedure?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Need advice - Fungus infection during shipping procedure? Reply with quote

Just received the lens I bought on 1st Sept 2013, the package should have been shipped around 2nd or 3rd Sept 2013. But took at least 22 days to arrive.

The lens is listed as "Everything like new - no signs of wear, no scratches and no damage."

And the cosmetic condition is really as said, like new, but once I looked through the lens it has a bunch of fungus inside. But I thought it might not be inaccurate description but instead fungus infection through the shipping process because it took so long to arrive.

Anyone have similar experience? Any advice on what to do? Should I return it or spend more money to get it professionally cleaned? Or just give it to a pawn shop dealer or something?

I am not sure if it's safe to put it in my dry cabinet since I'm afraid it will infect my other lenses as well. But if I put it outside there will be more fungus by the day. This is my second time experiencing this. The first time was a MD 35-70 macro that was listed as very good condition everything working properly but possibly because it spent quite sometime to arrive. Once it did there is fungus inside.

Hence, it's hard to prove whether the seller is actually telling the truth or not and being honest about his/her description. This is the risk to deal on Evil Bay I guess, for both buyers and sellers. Cause we can't control how long the shipping takes, well unless you include the moisture absorber or something inside the package.

Here are some photos of the lenses:

Tamron 70-210:

MD 35-70:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think fungus grow so quickly .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the results of years of growth imho. Definitely send them back for a refund, that level of fungus is severe and may not be fully cleanable as the glass may be etched.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I guess you are right. I rarely experience fungus on lenses since I put my lenses in a dry cabinet all the time when not used. The only lens I have that has fungus is the Tokina 500/8 mirror which is actually my father's but haven't touched it for over two years in drawer but still nothing as serious of an infection as this. It's actually still very usable compared to the two shown above. Hence I agree, there's no way fungus could spread so fast like this.

I rechecked the listing for the MD 35-70 and the description actually saids there's no fungus and even includes matching serial number, here's the description:

"with front / back caps
the optics are in good condition and shows no signs of fungus the aperture blade movements are brisk and sharp and the focusing ring moves smoothly as far as the physical conditions go this lens is in used but good condition there are no dents, dings, scratches
overall, this is a good usable lens."

I guess this is good enough to claim for a refund? But I guess I won't go through that cause I only spend almost $35 bucks on this the refund does not include shipping fee so with the return shipping cost I don't think there's much left? Or should I still do it just for the sake of having the right to do so?

The Tamron 70-210 listing is in German so I guess that's one part that I caught off guard cause I don't understand German...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That's the results of years of growth imho. Definitely send them back for a refund, that level of fungus is severe and may not be fully cleanable as the glass may be etched.

+1 impossible even if you store it in swamp, it was there before lens sent out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly an old-grown fungus!
klaus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, fungus can grow from invisible to very visible, overnight!

Of course, the lens must have had fungus inside before leaving it outside overnight, but it was completely invisible before stay outside.

Yes, one day no sign of fungus to be seen, then outside overnight, fungus infection that looks like 70-210 photo above. (I've also noticed photos tend to make fungus look much worse than when seen by eye.) It cleaned easily. Very Happy

So, yes, a lens can easily exhibit fungal growth during shipping, but I would attribute that to inadequate packaging. Best is to wait until humidity is less than 50%, then seal lens just removed from dry box into sealed plastic baggie, then into shipping box...air inside baggie will be dry; baggie protects dry lens from outside humidity during shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
In my experience, fungus can grow from invisible to very visible, overnight!

Of course, the lens must have had fungus inside before leaving it outside overnight, but it was completely invisible before stay outside.

Yes, one day no sign of fungus to be seen, then outside overnight, fungus infection that looks like 70-210 photo above. (I've also noticed photos tend to make fungus look much worse than when seen by eye.) It cleaned easily. Very Happy

So, yes, a lens can easily exhibit fungal growth during shipping, but I would attribute that to inadequate packaging. Best is to wait until humidity is less than 50%, then seal lens just removed from dry box into sealed plastic baggie, then into shipping box...air inside baggie will be dry; baggie protects dry lens from outside humidity during shipping.

Huh! If the lens was coated in cheese I suppose you would get quick fungus, but would think not every type of fungus can live on the nourishment of a clean lens, that's why it's growth is slow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are penicillin factories with less fungus.
I, too would send it back
OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so maybe the fungus grew while in transit. In that case I see this as equivalent to being damaged in shipping due to poor packing. It should go back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it didn't grow in transit, that took a long time to get that bad. The seller either didn't check for fungus or flat out lied. You have a clear case for a full refund.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When fungus is fresh, you can see clearly defined, very fine and well separated trendrils.

Often, there is a patch around those trendils where the coating has been affected. (see second photo, the patches to the left and top).

Usually, the fungus then does one of two things:
1. It continues to spread to find new nutrients, or

2. It stays in one spot and creates a very concentrated single spot.

However, one the 1st & 3rd photos, the fungus has spread and overlapped multiple times, indicating to me that the fungus has been there a long time.

I will try to include some examples later.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it back and if the description says clean optics, I'd ask for refund on shipping too, or he will get a bad review & rating.
If that doesn't work open a dispute.

Before you bid, ask for good pictures of the glass to prove they are clean, or he will have to cover return shipping too if you see fungus.
Sellers with high number of good reviews tend to be more accurate and accommodating when issues are found.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys do you think it's ok to post the link of the actual listing here for you guys to take a look at? Cause it's in German and if the description actually does describe it has fungus or that it doesn't say it does not have then my chances of getting a refund is slim.

From Google translate I don't see that it describes as "Everything like new - no signs of wear, no scratches and no damage." but I want to be certain. So maybe someone here who understands German can help?

Maybe moderators can advise if it's ok to post a link of the actual listing? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
Guys do you think it's ok to post the link of the actual listing here for you guys to take a look at? Cause it's in German and if the description actually does describe it has fungus or that it doesn't say it does not have then my chances of getting a refund is slim.

From Google translate I don't see that it describes as "Everything like new - no signs of wear, no scratches and no damage." but I want to be certain. So maybe someone here who understands German can help?

Maybe moderators can advise if it's ok to post a link of the actual listing? Thanks!

Of course it is. It's on ebay, it's a listing available to anyone who cares to look.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Here it is, the lens seems fine in his photos, but the inner optics of the lens is not as seen in the photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMRON-SP-19AH-70-210-mm-Objektiv-in-top-Zustand-/400557625906?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=95vVMfoJfUWFhJG7pX0zMlN5uIk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General 'garbage' seller I think he didn't know what is fungus in lens, he has excellent feedback ratio I not expect any difficulties with return.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In among all his garbage he has a Leica M4 and some Leitz lenses, all listed seperately. I suspect he is a house clearance business and doesn't know much about camera gear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly doesn't mention any fungus. Maybe the seller, like many people, doesn't know how to properly check the glass. I'm pretty sure the fungus was already there before the lens got shipped,but maybe it got worse. I would certainly ask for a refund, because the seller claims that the lens is in top condition.